The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
lexa

Convinced I committed the unpardonable sin

Hello, I just joined today so it’s nice to meet everyone.

I have been so worried about committing the unpardonable sin today, and it’s very saddening because I was just becoming very content in my walk with Christ because i had been struggling with salvation doubt which I had finally got over.

I was reading where the Pharisees was accusing Jesus of, you know, I don’t really want to write it down. I have struggled with blasphemous thoughts before, but not like this.

Today I’ve been having thoughts that I agree with what the pharisees said, but I know I don’t mean them but I’m scared I did. I was also having thoughts that were tempting God. I’m very scared I’m doomed for eternity. I asked the Lord to forgive me for these thoughts, but I’m still worried. I couldn’t stop thinking about it, and then we went to a revival and there was a very dear man of God that in my head I attributed his works to you know who.

Im so scared and feel so alone. 

Thanks for any replies.

Lexa, you should see the pastor of your church or counseling from a close Christian friend (another female).  What you've described is rather odd.  The Pharisees accused Jesus of driving out demons by the power of Devil.  That's attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to Satan.  You can't be serious that you actually agree with this.  But if knowing what the Pharisees were claiming you found yourself thinking in agreement but not meaning it, I would attribute that as an attack of the Evil One.  I have thoughts that are bothersome and I simply take them captive to Christ.  I ignore them.  I won't give the devil a foothold.  

Martin Luther struggled with guilt over his sins and it tormented him.  When he finally discovered for himself that we are justified by faith alone and not works, he described the experience as being "born again."  

Satan would love nothing more than to see you keep a distance from Christ.  Don't let him.  Pray - a lot.  There is great power in prayer.  God cares for you and wants what's best.  Your sins are not greater than the forgiveness of God.  Where sin abounds, grace abound more.  So focus on the truth of God's word and take those thoughts captive.  2 Corinthians 10:5  https://www.desiringgod.org/interviews/how-do-i-take-my-thoughts-captive

• Like 6

Those Pharisees knew that Jesus works were of The Holy Spirit, but still attributed them to Satan.

Doubting some guy at a revival is not the same as saying the works of the Holy Spirit are from the devil. Scripture warns us that there will be false miracle workers, if questioning what someone calls The Holy Spirit was blasphemy, then there would be no way to discern false teachers and prophets.

I've heard quite a few false teachers preach that if anyone denies that they work by the power of the Holy Spirit then they're eternally condemned, it's cult like.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Innerfire89 said:

I've heard quite a few false teachers preach that if anyone denies that they work by the power of the Holy Spirit then they're eternally condemned, it's cult like.

It has become a cliché. 

To lexa,

The unpardonable sin is only committed by people who refute firstly that there is any such thing as sin, secondly that any repentance of anything is necessary, and thirdly that there is any means by which forgiveness is obtainable.

Obviously if they go through life denying the existence of sin they have no intention of seeking pardon for it, and are therefore unpardonable.

You don't seem to be in that category. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Innerfire89 said:

Those Pharisees knew that Jesus works were of The Holy Spirit, but still attributed them to Satan.

Mark 3:29-30

(29) but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin”—
(30) because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.” (NASB)

I think another way to look at it is that all the unsaved (non-Christians) who reject the Lord Jesus have committed the eternal sin in that they refused to accept His forgiveness (thus they treat Him and His atoning work as "unclean" - Hebrews 10:29).

• Like 6

I noticed lexa this is your first post. So welcome to Christforums. I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. I wouldn't worry about not being forgiven. 

Isa. 1:18  "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool."

None of us has sinned so much God won't forgive us.

3af3cd437a6c52529c5592cb91602ee8.gif

• Like 2

Thank you all so much for your replies and encouragement. But you’ll never believe what happened last night! I received the Baptism of the Hoky Spirit! I think what I was a spiritual attack, and all of your words really encouragemed me. God bless!

• Like 1

Hello sister

I would suggest a meeting, if possible with your Pastors wife. I've had issues  in the past, unlike yours. But gave me much torment, child discipline etc. I found chatting with her, (there were 3 sisters). Most helpful & encouraging. 

In Jesus 

Harriet 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:49 AM, lexa said:

Hello, I just joined today so it’s nice to meet everyone.

I have been so worried about committing the unpardonable sin today, and it’s very saddening because I was just becoming very content in my walk with Christ because i had been struggling with salvation doubt which I had finally got over.

I was reading where the Pharisees was accusing Jesus of, you know, I don’t really want to write it down. I have struggled with blasphemous thoughts before, but not like this.

Today I’ve been having thoughts that I agree with what the pharisees said, but I know I don’t mean them but I’m scared I did. I was also having thoughts that were tempting God. I’m very scared I’m doomed for eternity. I asked the Lord to forgive me for these thoughts, but I’m still worried. I couldn’t stop thinking about it, and then we went to a revival and there was a very dear man of God that in my head I attributed his works to you know who.

Im so scared and feel so alone. 

Thanks for any replies.

I don't believe that you are actually committing the unpardonable sin of blasphemy . First let's define the sin . Blasphemy is doing the work of Satan and his ministers and then attributing it to the Holy Spirit . Another form of blasphemy is using the name of God in vain or actually cursing God . It's difficult to commit that sin without actually knowing that you're committing it. I believe that the Holy Spirit would send a strong impression upon you warning you that your actions were blasphemous . Punishment for that sin is ranked among those that reap death for the commission of it .

Your fear of being doomed for eternity tells me that you haven't been born again and experienced the saving grace of Christ on the cross . You're included in my prayers .     M

When someone commits the unpardonable sin, there is no hope for them. They are forever lost and the Holy Spirit will not continue to convict them of sin. The fact that you feel guilt for sin means that the Holy Spirit is still working in your life so you have clearly not committed the unpardonable sin. Simply confess whenever you sin and you will be forgiven.

1 John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness".

God bless,

Mick

• Like 2

An irony of the “unforgivable sin” is that if you have committed it, it will not bother you, and if you are worried about the “unforgivable sin”, then you can not have committed it.

With that out of the way, it is not for no reason that Jesus called “His Body” (the Church ... us) to join together in fellowship.  “A strand of three cords is not easily broken” ... we are MUCH stronger together than we are alone.  It is a strange and wonderful thing, but you NEED some Christians to come alongside and strengthen you during your time of trials, and believe it or not, they NEED to help you for their good and spiritual growth and encouragement.  That is how we are joined together into one Body of Christ.

• Like 2

I notice that in Mark 3 Jesus is addressing the Scribes which were invalidating the works performed. They were copyist and interpreters. I can only imagine the destructive and negative impact they would have, not only on themselves but others.

When we blaspheme the very Person which convicts us of or draws us to the truth then we make Him ineffective. In our minds they are turned into a liar. We deceive ourselves to the point where we don't trust nor can we demonstrate confidence in the truth. The 3rd Person of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit convicts us of our sins and brings us to repentance. The sins cannot therefore be pardoned because the very personality of the sinner which acts in blasphemy to the Holy Spirit makes Him a liar and deceitful thereby making the sins incurable and eternal. 

Consider:

2 Th 2:9  The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders,
2 Th 2:10  and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved.
2 Th 2:11  Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false,
2 Th 2:12  in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

On 6/3/2018 at 9:49 PM, lexa said:

Convinced I committed the unpardonable sin

I was reading where the Pharisees was accusing Jesus of, you know, I don’t really want to write it down.

People can only commit the unpardonable sin by personally accusing the living Jesus Christ as doing the works of Satan/Beelzebub, ie in 30-33AD. So, only the Pharisees had committed this unpardonable sin = could not be saved from hell even if they later repented and believed in Jesus Christ during ACTS.2.

Baseless anxieties and doubts come from Satan, same as immoral thoughts of lust, hate, anger, greed, selfishness, jealousy and pride that sometimes arise involuntarily in our hearts and minds. The important thing is that we do not voluntarily act on such evil/sinful thoughts, eg by ignoring them or countering them with the Word of God.(MATTHEW.4:1-11)

• Like 1