Jump to content

The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Two Adams

Our "new creation" is in Christ and in heaven.

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

Which of course is why you interpret Scripture with Scripture and you get the correct reading which is how the translators have stated it.

I'll ask you the same question I asked my other brothers and sisters in Christ:

 

What part of the believer is naturally holy and righteous that it can skip the resurrection and go directly to heaven at death?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, davidtaylorjr said:

No, the entire human race was not redeemed. So you are a universalist?

 

Here's one quote out of many: 

 

"While we were God’s enemies, we were (past tense) reconciled to him through the death of his Son" Rom 5:10  How?  Because when Christ died your Adamic life died too!  See Rom 6:6/7:4   Or as Paul stated it:  "When One died - all men died" 2 Cor 5:14

 

And here's one of the best:  Romans 5:18 NASB  "So then as through one transgression (Adam's sin) there resulted condemnation to all men"

 

Adam's transgression ruined and thereby condemned the human race within him.

 

"Even so through one act of righteousness (Christ's obedience & righteousness) there resulted (past tense - refers to the cross)  justification of life to all men."

 

Christ, by His doing & dying, as redeemed, saved, reconciled the entire human race "in Himself".  So "yes", Christ has universally saved the  entire fallen, Adamic race in Himself, but....

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Two Adams said:

I'll ask you the same question I asked my other brothers and sisters in Christ:

 

What part of the believer is naturally holy and righteous that it can skip the resurrection and go directly to heaven at death?

 

 

The part, the soul, that has been declared righteous. Our flesh, bodily flesh, is what will be resurrected. We don't cease to exist between now and then. There is no Scriptural support for that whatsoever without taking passages out of their context.

 

1 hour ago, Two Adams said:

 

Here's one quote out of many: 

 

"While we were God’s enemies, we were (past tense) reconciled to him through the death of his Son" Rom 5:10  How?  Because when Christ died your Adamic life died too!  See Rom 6:6/7:4   Or as Paul stated it:  "When One died - all men died" 2 Cor 5:14

 

And here's one of the best:  Romans 5:18 NASB  "So then as through one transgression (Adam's sin) there resulted condemnation to all men"

 

Adam's transgression ruined and thereby condemned the human race within him.

 

"Even so through one act of righteousness (Christ's obedience & righteousness) there resulted (past tense - refers to the cross)  justification of life to all men."

 

Christ, by His doing & dying, as redeemed, saved, reconciled the entire human race "in Himself".  So "yes", Christ has universally saved the  entire fallen, Adamic race in Himself, but....

 

 

 

These are classic examples of taking Scripture out of context.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...but -- then we Do have Revelation 20: 15 "If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."  And then Revelation 21:8 "But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral , those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars -- their place will be in the fiery lake of burning, sulfur.  This is the second death. "

 

So -- it would indicate that there Will be those who do those things without repenting. 

 

And John 17 -- mentions God's elect -- those that God has given to Him.  Christ died for all, but only God knows who will or won't accept Him as personal Savior. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sue D. said:

...but -- then we Do have Revelation 20: 15 "If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."  And then Revelation 21:8 "But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral , those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars -- their place will be in the fiery lake of burning, sulfur.  This is the second death. "

 

So -- it would indicate that there Will be those who do those things without repenting. 

 

And John 17 -- mentions God's elect -- those that God has given to Him.  Christ died for all, but only God knows who will or won't accept Him as personal Savior. 

 

 

Exactly, the only way you can honestly hold a universalist position and also the position that we do not immediately go to Heaven upon death is if you take Scripture out of context and ignore other passages completely.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 There's a book I've been reading lately about Heaven - written by Randy Alcorn -- totally based on Scripture.   And, actually, our real eternal home ,for believers , will be the New Jerusalem that God will bring down from heaven.  He will be dwelling with man.  When we talk about being in heaven with Jesus Christ whether it be at the rapture or die and are immediately in the presence of the Lord -- it won't be our permanent home 'in heaven'.  We will be safe with Jesus -- where ever that will be.  But, it's definitely Not a 'purgatory' type of place / existence, either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 7:08 PM, Sue D. said:

 There's a book I've been reading lately about Heaven - written by Randy Alcorn -- totally based on Scripture.   And, actually, our real eternal home ,for believers , will be the New Jerusalem that God will bring down from heaven.  He will be dwelling with man.  When we talk about being in heaven with Jesus Christ whether it be at the rapture or die and are immediately in the presence of the Lord -- it won't be our permanent home 'in heaven'.  We will be safe with Jesus -- where ever that will be.  But, it's definitely Not a 'purgatory' type of place / existence, either. 

I have read Alcorn's book Heaven. He does not give only one theological perspective but several. It is "light reading". A more comprehensive read can be found in the Systematic Theology subforum, look for Louis Berkhof, his book is downoadable in pdf or mobi. Berkhof is pretty much the standard.  Another good book is Wayne Grudems Systematic Theology. These books allow you to understand the different theological perspectives. 

 

God bless,

William 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

William -- I'm Good with 'light reading'.  My husband has a Systematic Theology book by Dr. Wallace.  And there's another poster who shares some from his systematic theology off-line.  I've heard of Grudems.  

Thanks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
Articles - News - Registration Terms