The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.

In 1607, the Virginia Company sent a ship to a New World. the settlers, by and large, were English ( with some German and Polish workers among them) would- be nobles who fancied finding gold and wealth the equal to what the Spanish Conquistador Hernan Cortes found in the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan. Searching for gold in the Chesapeake area would prove to be futile, but they would discover a new source of wealth: tobacco. There were also Indigenous peoples living in the area who would prove to be welcoming until the aggression of the settlers would finally alienate the Natives.

These Anglicans would be followed a few years later by the Puritans we call " Pilgrims" of Mayflower fame. As the Anglicans of Virginia and Maryland were primarily interested in amassing land and wealth, their piety was not quite as notable as the Puritans were. This is interesting, because the Church of England remained the Commonwealth of Virginia's official " state church" to whom taxes would be paid by citizens, regardless of their faith, up to the time of the American Revolution. The piety, one might say, was understated but supported by the State. They made little effort to evangelize the indigenous peoples they settled among.

The Puritans ( later called Congregationalists), made more headway among their Indigenous peoples, even to the point that Indian " praying towns" were established not too far away from the Puritan settlements. When the eighteenth century dawned, the English were joined by the Ulster Scots and Germans. Of devout Presbyterian faith, these Lowland and Borders Scots were given grants of land in Northern Ireland by King James I of England and later, because of religious sanctions imposed on them by the Anglican authorities, they would sell off any land that they might have ( or sell themselves into indenture if landless) and make the long voyage to the American Colonies, where they were encouraged to migrate to the western frontier that we know today as the Appalachian Mountains. In America, these hardy and adaptable people would be known as the Scotch- Irish and they would be known as courageous Patriots who would be among the first to agitate for independence at the outset of the American Revolution.

The Germans would leave devastated areas of the southwestern corner of Germany and Switzerland in the wake of the Thirty Years War for the American Colonies in the eighteenth century. Many of them would also travel west, with ambitious English, Welsh and Scots- Irish settlers, while others would remain in areas of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina, where they'd practice their own way of life ( generally Anabaptist, sometimes German Reformed and Lutheran). When the American Revolution dawned, some of them served in the Continental Army and others served as medics and still others would sell supplies and arms to the Army. 

I write this post to remember the Christian faith that these freshly transplanted Europeans brought with them to the New World, whether held with devotion or relative indifference. Facing a New World is always a difficult thing and these people did not have the amenities we enjoy today. They faced the largest imperial army the world had ever seen and the French help they managed to secure ( as well as European financing) was pivotal in helping them to reach an accord in the Treaty of Paris in 1783.

11 hours ago, ConfessionalLutheran said:

There were also Indigenous peoples living in the area

Enjoyed the post :)  I find the term "indigenous people" heavy of PC. In MHO the only folks who can claim to be indigenous were Adam and Eve. 

:classic_smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Becky said:

Enjoyed the post 🙂 I find the term "indigenous people" heavy of PC. In MHO the only folks who can claim to be indigenous were Adam and Eve. 

:classic_smile:

Oops.. Sorry, that's the term I see a lot in history books and online articles these days. I'm glad you enjoyed the post! History and genealogy have been passions of mine from an early age. I agree, though, Adam and Eve really are the indigenous ( one was made right out of the earth and the other was made out of him) pair this planet can boast of.

• Like 1

The treatment of the native peoples was often terrible. There was at least one instance in New England when the colonists wanted revenge and clubbed Christians praying on their knees in a praying town. 

There was an instance where they took native people to an island that could not support them and left them.

Some puritans were involved with slavery.

There is a book called "New England Bound" on the topic of slavery in New England that documents it to almost the earliest days of the colony.

3 minutes ago, Bull of the Woods said:

The treatment of the native peoples was often terrible. There was at least one instance in New England when the colonists wanted revenge and clubbed Christians praying on their knees in a praying town. 

There was an instance where they took native people to an island that could not support them and left them.

Some puritans were involved with slavery.

There is a book called "New England Bound" on the topic of slavery in New England that documents it to almost the earliest days of the colony.

Indians were doing the same to each other long before Europeans arrived.  The Iroquois wiped out the Erie nation to the last man, woman and child because they supported the Huron against the Iroquois.  The Shawnee and Cherokee would raid, kill and capture each other for no other reason than to show bravery even though they lived several hundred miles apart.  One tribe would push another tribe out simply because they wanted the land; the other tribe if lucky would be adopted into another tribe or maybe just vanish from history.  There are always at least 2 sides to every story and a historian recognizes and addresses that instead of simply espousing one particular POV...unless, of course, they are attempting to make a political statement rather than discuss history.

1 minute ago, Civilwarbuff said:

Indians were doing the same to each other long before Europeans arrived.  The Iroquois wiped out the Erie nation to the last man, woman and child because they supported the Huron against the Iroquois.  The Shawnee and Cherokee would raid, kill and capture each other for no other reason than to show bravery even though they lived several hundred miles apart.  One tribe would push another tribe out simply because they wanted the land; the other tribe if lucky would be adopted into another tribe or maybe just vanish from history.  There are always at least 2 sides to every story and a historian recognizes and addresses that instead of simply espousing one particular POV...unless, of course, they are attempting to make a political statement rather than discuss history.

I know the native peoples did all those. I was addressing puritan behavior since the post was about puritans and the other colonial establishments. The fact that native peoples were capable of enslaving and brutality doesn't make it ok for Christians do join in.

There is, I believe you would know, a ridiculous version of our early history that is precisely designed for political and religious purposes. That should concern you.

I have a good friend who loves that "wallbuilders" stuff. Just the other night at our bible study we were talking about Jacob making Joseph swear to bury him in Canaan. As he often does he jumps to his version of the earliest colonies when every one kept their word and every one was doing wonderful stuff for the glory of God. I wondered why they ever needed a judicial system.

My wife and I in Colonial Williamsburg, our favorite place to vacation as a couple. We are standing under the pole with the sign for the "cure for the refractory". Refractory in the case of that time meaning those who were not going along with the boycott of certain goods and activities to protest British taxes and trade restrictions. A bag and barrel represents a bag of feathers and barrel of tar to be applied to those found not in compliance.

IMG_5576.JPG

The entire Colonial Triangle is a great place to go.....love the crab cakes you can get there.

31 minutes ago, Bull of the Woods said:

I know the native peoples did all those. I was addressing puritan behavior since the post was about puritans and the other colonial establishments. The fact that native peoples were capable of enslaving and brutality doesn't make it ok for Christians do join in.

There is, I believe you would know, a ridiculous version of our early history that is precisely designed for political and religious purposes. That should concern you.

What also concerns me is the current narrative of "Indian Good, White Man Bad" that is currently espoused both politically and educationally.  Personally I think history should be taught as accurately as it is known.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My wife and I have been going there two or three trips a year for years. We stay a minimum of four nights and up to seven each trip. We have gotten to know some of the interpreters there. When my wife was in the hospital after her accident last August "George Wythe" sent her an incredible get well encouraging video in character. And kept up with her progress. Alas, he retired in December. We email some of the others still between visits. We are chomping at the bits for our return. My wife has to get a bit better yet. When we go we are hoofing it to every site and program we can fit in we are so excited.

Edited by Bull of the Woods

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Civilwarbuff said:

What also concerns me is the current narrative of "Indian Good, White Man Bad" that is currently espoused both politically and educationally.  Personally I think history should be taught as accurately as it is known.

I agree. For instance Powhatan played the Jamestown colonists like a fiddle he didn't care much for. Kept them on the brink for maximum trading advantage. 

And there is evidence the native we call Squanto eventually was using his English speaking abilities to act as translator not just to help, but to play tribe against tribe and the English. Telling each group bad things another was up to. A bit of a power play.

Edited by Bull of the Woods