The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Just Mike

Which Translation is truly "inspired"?

19 hours ago, SkepticalOne said:

Reference editions of Bullinger's "Companion Bible," and the Jerusalem Bible.  My personal opinion is that if you combine the footnotes, margin notes, and appendixes to both, you have got it pretty well covered!

I have read the Jerusalem Bible and some reviews and criticisms of it are worth noting, mainly its Roman Catholic bias and apparent errors that amount to false doctrine.

What is the Jerusalem Bible (JB)?

"The translation from the Hebrew and Greek is literal with the notes and introductions reflecting the "higher criticism" approach. This method led the translators to come to some unfortunate conclusions, notably that the Pentateuch was not written by Moses (a theory discredited by Jesus Himself in Mark 12:26)."

A Review of the Jerusalem Bible

Matt. 16:18-20--"Peter's... Preeminence"

For a number of centuries, the Roman Catholic Church has used this passage as a pretext for her claims of Papal authority. The Jerusalem Bible New Testament contributes further to the Catholic claims by giving a subhead to the paragraph which reads: "Peter's profession of faith; his pre-eminence." Then in a footnote, it adds . . . "The keys have become the traditional insignia of Peter."

In early June my wife got me a Holman Christian Standard Life Application Bible. I have a New American Standard Bible Life Application Bible, and I used it so much that I was using Elmer's Rubber Cement to put pages that came out, and Scots Tape on many pages that got torn over the years. 

We were in the LifeWay Christian Bookstore in Springfield, Mo on June 1st and there they had 4 of these Bibles. The Holman Christian Standard Bible went out of print in 20016 and the HCSB in the Life Application Bible was published by Tyndale House Publishing for only one year 2014. So finding these four Bibles was very unusual.  If you find a Bible made by Tyndale its a quality name in Bibles.

I find the Holman Christian Standard refreshing and reading it with the Life Application notes is wonderful. I have been so used to reading the NASB and the ESV on occasion the HCS Bible is a good balance between the others.

The most important issue for most Christians is they do not read the Bible on a regular planned way. In fact many Christians hardly ever read the Bible. I have looked at a goon number of reading plans for the Bible, and they seldom appealed to me. I find just taking one book at a time and reading a certain amount every day and being consistent in doing it is the best way for me.

Greetings folks - I didn't leave because I couldn't stand the heat.  I've been raked over the coals by rougher crowds.  I leave because I don't see where that God has shown the folks the AV yet and there was no sense on flogging the dead horses anymore.  That being said after reading this thread I couldn't resist posting the following.  And don't worry I won't be staying to engage - need to redeem the time.  God bless.

Modern Day Bible Study

Elder Dim Whit, “Welcome everybody to the Truth of Truth Ministry’s weekly Bible study. Thanks for being here. I’m stoked. Our passage to study tonight is John 11:35 Jesus wept. Let’s see what we can learn from this passage. Who wants to go first?”

Bob, “Well, my New English Common Vernacular version doesn’t read Jesus wept but that “Jesus groaned.”

Mary, “Interesting, you know the Greek word there for wept is ‘awahuu’ – I got this from Nestle.”

Bill, “Wow, profound!”

Bob, “But my version, The “Newest English Super Common Version” says grunt.”

Jack, “You mean Jesus grunted?!?!”

Mike: “My new “Authentic Expository Rendition” matches Vaticanus!  And didn’t they find this great manuscript in trash can in the Vatican library?

AVBunyan: “Yes, they did – maybe they should have left it there.”

Harry, “I have a Greek lexicon from the 4th century Syrian that says the word for wept is really, ‘awahooie’ which makes a major difference in the phrasing! Wow, I get so excited when I use the Greek – makes me feel, well, just enlightened like an angel of light!”

Elder Dim Whit, “I can see this is going to be a very uplifting night. Nothing like some real dynamic equivalent renderings using the aros tense of the subjective superlative!”

Bill, “Harry, where did you learn Greek?”

Harry, “I don’t really know Greek I just read it in Zodiates book, “How to Master Greek in 30 Days.”

Martha, “Well, I have a Greek lexicon from the 14th Century revision of the Lollard #3 and the word wept can also be translated moaned.”

Martha, “You have to understand the trials and tribulations for the times for without this information you can’t enter into the emotional congatative condiveness of the sureality.”

AV, “What am I missing here – we are only talking about two words.”

Harry, “Hush, AV, you’ve got a bad attitude! What about all those poor people before 1611?”

Elder Dim Whit, “Hush, AV you are not exhibiting the sweet spirit of the Christ here. Also, what about all those people in other countries who can’t even speak English?
Now let’s get back to our Bible study. Who has some more nuggets on, Jesus wept?”

Mr. Brilliant, “My new updated ‘Antioch Gratulative Retention Bible’ speaks of the word wept being in the past tense conjegative thus meaning that Jesus was weeping before he ever got there. This really touched my heart.”

Mary, “Oh, I feel my life is now completely changed based upon that nugget – thanks Mr. Brilliant.”

Mr. Brilliant, “By the way my new version is special for the translators of this great work translated it so there are no words with less than 9 letters long so as to bring out the most demonstrative and subjectivelatuative meaning of the words thus enabling me to get all that can be gotten from the most complicated renderings thus making me even more brilliant in the eyes of unenlightened believers.”

Harry, “I still think we need to examine the different 3rd century renditions of the Greek word ‘awahooe’ so we can see how other Greek writers used the word so we can determine the most reliable and effective use of the word for the most authentic rendering of the verse thus pulling from it all the vast riches of this profound word ‘awahooe’.

AV, “But how do you decide who is right?”

Mike, “AV, you are so narrow-minded! How can you read a Bible with Easter in it?”

Nancy, “How do we even know John 11:35 was really in the originals?”

Neal, “I found a scholar who read of a professor who talked with his gardener who knew an archeologists who was able to gaze upon the famous fragment P734075439.479 1/2 from the collection over in Dead Sea Visitor’s Center, oh I mean the ‘Dead Sea Museum of Ancient Artifacts’ and he says it is there.”

Nancy, “Wow, could the archeologists read Greek?”

Neal, “No, but the janitor could and he told him that P734075439.479 1/2 contained the verse as it stands in many of the modern versions.”

Elder Dim Whit, “Well, that is great – I think we can call this Bible study a great success. Let’s meet next week so we can have some time to digest these great truths. Then we will be prepared to really dig into John 11:35 verse using all the modern tools and resources available.”

Mary, “You are not coming next week are you AV?”

AV, “No, I think I’ll just stay home and watch some Captain Kangaroo reruns, thank you for asking and for being so thoughtful.”

22 hours ago, avbunyan said:

Greetings folks - I didn't leave because I couldn't stand the heat.  I've been raked over the coals by rougher crowds.  I leave because I don't see where that God has shown the folks the AV yet and there was no sense on flogging the dead horses anymore.  That being said after reading this thread I couldn't resist posting the following.  And don't worry I won't be staying to engage - need to redeem the time.

lol  Thanks avbunyan for the funniest post in months.   The blind ignorance of your post is overwhelmingly comical.  You and your claims are a valuable source of laughter for us all.

However, in spite of your comic relief the truth of the matter must win out over your humor.   The fact is you can even get the simplest of facts right, so allow me to clear up the facts for you.

First, codex Vaticanus was found in the Vatican library and not in a trashcan.  Wrong codex!

Second, the false claim about the trashcan concerns codex Sinaiticus not codex Vaticanus.

Third, codex Sinaiticus was not found in a trashcan but was given to Tischendorf on his third visit to the monastery.

Try doing some research or read a scholarly book every once in a while before you make foolish and demonstrably false claims.

• Like 2

I may be repeating myself. I am so familiar with the NASB and the NIV that I made a change to read the Bible in a fresh and new way. I am now reading The Holman Christian Standard Bible in the Life Application version. It is a discontinued Bible, as the Holman publisher removed YAHWEH in the OT and  Messiah in the NT, as some with an agenda in order to fit a bias now have the Christian Standard Bible. I think it was a massively stupid mistake to do so.

I enjoy a fresh way to read the Scripture and its a pleasure. I look forward to reading the Bible every day.

Posted (edited)

I prefer the NABRE and GNT, as those are the only translations I have access to.  I also have a New Testament called the Recovery Version, which I prefer as well.

Edited by avdpeas

Noting the damage the Scofield editions of King James have done to the Church which Bible is important. 

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:57 PM, Just Mike said:

Everyone has one Bible they really go to first above all the other Bible they have. My first GO TO BIBLE is the New American Standard Bible.

What is the Bible you go to first?

My favorite has always been the King James Version . It is the only one that can correlate with the Protestant Reformation commentaries that I use exclusively . I have a problem with newer versions because  many are filled with errors such as spelling , missing passages , and ill defined wording that appeared to deliberately over look the absolute sovereignty of Jesus Christ   . I saw a tv program a few months ago that pointed out all of the  gross errors in some of the newer versions of the bible . I was shocked to learn that some passages were totally missing . I failed to record that program so I could share it with this or other Christian forums . No,,give me the King James Version as my trusty source of biblical knowledge and inspiration.     M

11 hours ago, Matthew Duvall said:

I have a problem with newer versions because  many are filled with errors such as spelling

Spelling errors can happen with any translation even the KJV and it has in the past.  It really has nothing to do with the translation but with the printer.

missing passages

Manuscript evidence is the deciding factor concerning some verses in the Bible.  The KJV translators used printed editions of the Greek text which drew upon only a handful of manuscripts for support.  They simply did not have the wealth of manuscripts that is available today.

and ill defined wording that appeared to deliberately over look the absolute sovereignty of Jesus Christ

That is really just an opinion.

I saw a tv program a few months ago that pointed out all of the  gross errors in some of the newer versions of the bible .

There is no shortage of misinformation on these matters.

I was shocked to learn that some passages were totally missing

Hmmm!?

• Like 1
  • Best Answer 1