The Protestant Community

Are you Protestant? Or, are you sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. Register in less than a minute, it is simple, fast, and free! We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums is:

.... an orthodox Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another forum.

Enjoy your fellowship

In order to understand the importance of Christian fellowship, we must first understand what Christian fellowship is and what it isn’t. The Greek words translated “fellowship” in the New Testament mean essentially a partnership to the mutual benefit of those involved. Christian fellowship, then, is the mutually beneficial relationship between Christians, who can’t have the identical relationship with those outside the faith. Those who believe the gospel are united in the Spirit through Christ to the Father, and that unity is the basis of fellowship. This relationship is described by Jesus in His high-priestly prayer for His followers in John 17:23. The importance of true Christian fellowship is that it reinforces Christ centeredness in our mind and helps us to focus on Christ and His desires and goals for us. As iron sharpens iron, in true Christian fellowship Christians sharpen one another's faith and stir one another to exercise that faith in love and good works, all to God’s glory.
Sign in to follow this  
Matto

Fishing knots

One of the best knots I use for non toothy fish is the snell knot because it returns %100 of the breaking strain of the line. It can be used on spade hooks mostly used in Asia, they don't have eyelets but the line is tied to the shank of the hook.

Does anyone else use the common or simple snell on their fishing rigs?

Edited by Matto

Matto I buy snell fish hooks already tired with line on the hook, because I have lost too many fish on knots I tied to hooks. I have a loy of fresh water fishing equipment. I hope this year to use it. I have been so laid up I have not gone in 4 years, but this year I hope to.

Matto I buy snell fish hooks already tired with line on the hook, because I have lost too many fish on knots I tied to hooks. I have a loy of fresh water fishing equipment. I hope this year to use it. I have been so laid up I have not gone in 4 years, but this year I hope to.

I'm sorry to hear that mate.

I pray the Lord totally blesses your next fishing trip, the Apostles knew what that felt like.

I remember organising and paying for a fishing trip for my brother and two suffering friends who just needed to get away. But prayed very hard for the success and rest and peace for everyone that they receive a holy leisure that revived their spirits.

It was amazing, flights 4 nights accomodation, charters, courtesy vehicle, and in the best fishing area around shark bay, all for $603 per person. We totally bagged out, and took back a stack of Eskis of cyrovacced fillets.

The whole time I observed these guys change from care worn souls to cheerful and had lost all memory of their lives back home. God multiplied time for us infact, we dedicated the trip to him and that short trip might as well have been a month for the effect it had. That time thing Jesus does is amazing, it's like we present our small loaves and fish for his blessing and then gives out everything we need plus a big pile of leftovers.

Even our mistakes turned out to be huge blessings, can't explain it other than Jesus.

Technically a snell is not actually a knot, considered more a lashing, but there's no denying their strength. I pulled in a huge eagle ray, it had to be at least 100kg or more, and the double snell rig was perfectly fine. I must admit however that snell rig was a packaged Geoff Wilson rig, not one I made up myself.

We can pre make the rigs ourselves, but sometimes it's more convenient to grab one off the shelf.

• Like 1

Tieing knots is something I've always have been terrible at, I usually just make a bunch of loops and passes and hope the hook stays on, but I haven't been fishing in a long time though.

• Like 1

Tieing knots is something I've always have been terrible at, I usually just make a bunch of loops and passes and hope the hook stays on, but I haven't been fishing in a long time though.

When I was young, my parents thought I had an autistic fixation with knots it nearly earned me a stint in special school with other special children. I wasn't keen on that, so I threw out the line, twine, rope spicing gear and kilos of other stuff associated with it. My uncle raised the alarm because of all the animals I snared, killed everything on his property, just about. " I think you have a serious problem ", which cut me to heart, because I really liked him and looked up to him. But then I discovered knife sharpening, I took fixation to a transcendental level, I sharpened everything to beyond razor sharp. My mother who was almost always self controlled didn't like the lunatic level I sharpened her paring knife to. They say a sharp knife is safer than a blunt one, but only if you don't cut yourself with it, and definitely not in this case. Poor mum cut herself badly and then there was uproar, and dark prospect of special school was raised again.

Today I'm just a social knot tyer , but remember there is always help if your knot tying gets out of hand.

• Like 1

Did you ever wonder why the Lord chose fishermen. I think it's because fishermen are men of faith, they don't know if they will catch anything yet they still go out.

Fishermen were chosen to be leaders of the Church I think, because they constantly read the water and weather for danger and keep watch. They navigate by the heavens in humility when darkness falls, and don't trust their own reckoning but look to the heavens for guidance to safe harbour.

• Like 1

When I was young, my parents thought I had an autistic fixation with knots it nearly earned me a stint in special school with other special children. I wasn't keen on that, so I threw out the line, twine, rope spicing gear and kilos of other stuff associated with it. My uncle raised the alarm because of all the animals I snared, killed everything on his property, just about. " I think you have a serious problem ", which cut me to heart, because I really liked him and looked up to him. But then I discovered knife sharpening, I took fixation to a transcendental level, I sharpened everything to beyond razor sharp. My mother who was almost always self controlled didn't like the lunatic level I sharpened her paring knife to. They say a sharp knife is safer than a blunt one, but only if you don't cut yourself with it, and definitely not in this case. Poor mum cut herself badly and then there was uproar, and dark prospect of special school was raised again.

Today I'm just a social knot tyer , but remember there is always help if your knot tying gets out of hand.

I think collect and making knives sharp is something all guys do. I had a fascination with sharp things at a young age, I would always be widdling and what not.

A sharp knife is a safer knife in my opinion. If it's dull then you have to work harder to make a cut and that makes accidents more likely.

It's a shame that children who don't fit the cookie cutter mold are treated as if something is wrong with them. The school system runs by old industrial era values, which doesn't help children find their place in the modern workforce.

• Like 1

Oh hey, you're Australian, I'm I wrong to think you have a collection machetes and the like?

I was In Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and this helped make a Godly, well prepared man. Our church had the Boy Scout Troop I was in, we had Godly men in as leaders. That really helped in shaping my life.

The Boy Scout motto was "BE PREPARED" and I can say I am generally prepared in most areas of my life. Sharp knives, First aid kit at home. In my truck I am prepared to get my self out of most situations, and to help others in trouble. But most important of all I am prepared to share the Gospel, and share my testimony, help others in doubt and encourage others in their faith.

Innerfore89 you right the worst kinfe is a dull one. The safest advice it always move a knife away from your body, never carve towards your body.

• Like 1

I was In Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and this helped make a Godly, well prepared man. Our church had the Boy Scout Troop I was in, we had Godly men in as leaders. That really helped in shaping my life.

The Boy Scout motto was "BE PREPARED" and I can say I am generally prepared in most areas of my life. Sharp knives, First aid kit at home. In my truck I am prepared to get my self out of most situations, and to help others in trouble. But most important of all I am prepared to share the Gospel, and share my testimony, help others in doubt and encourage others in their faith.

Innerfore89 you right the worst kinfe is a dull one. The safest advice it always move a knife away from your body, never carve towards your body.

I was in Cub Scouts but I missed alot of meetings, but I got to learn some useful things. Before I could become a Boy Scout I dislocated my knee playing a game at one meeting and my mother stopped bringing me altogether.

Unfortunately I learned how to how to use knives and first aid the hard way, but scars look cool though. Lol.

Now that girls can be in Boy Scouts this summer, that might make Boy Scouts more popular. But boys can't join the Girl Scouts.....yet. What a messed up thing scouting has become, homosexual Scout Masters! I would not let a boy join now unless it was sponsored by a Bible believing church.

• Like 1

"Oh hey, you're Australian, I'm I wrong to think you have a collection machetes and the like?"

As an Aussie and a gardening contractor, machetes and goloks are part of our tool kit.

• Like 1

The snell is really easy to rig up. See how the bloke did the hook snell, well you can attach another hook just above that the same way, and then you have double snell rig.

The double snell rig presents the bait with a hook either side, the fish will get snagged on either one.

"Oh hey, you're Australian, I'm I wrong to think you have a collection machetes and the like?"

As an Aussie and a gardening contractor, machetes and goloks are part of our tool kit.

Here in the states most people just collect them, but as a landscaper I use a machete offten, once I leaned how to use one it became really useful, like for cutting tall grass it takes twice as long with a weedeater than it dose to just pull back the grass and give it a few quick chops.

• Like 1

"Here in the states most people just collect them, but as a landscaper I use a machete often "

Do machetes increase in value over there?