The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Faber

"The Trinity isn't true because God isn't the author of confusion" (1 Corinthians 14:33)

Come on guys.  We all know where to find the answer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So - how about this  / Godhead is like an egg.  The Godhead is the outer shell -- there is God the Father, Jesus Christ the Son and the Holy Spirit.   The inner parts Of the egg.  The yoke and the white and the inner lining around it.  They are all different / different jobs/ but they all work together to 'make' the Godhead / trinity.  And without all of the Godhead , there is no salvation. 

The Holy Spirit came upon Mary to impregnate her and she gave birth to Jesus.  (Jesus was God incarnate) -- Jesus Christ the Son, died on the cross with our sins and went to hell for us and then God the Father In his omnipotence, 'rose' Him from the dead.  And the Holy Spirit Also comes to indwell the believer at the moment of his/her salvation.  Keeping him/ her safe until that person is safely with Jesus forever. 

On 12/31/2017 at 4:17 PM, Sue D. said:

If the trinity isn't true, then there is no salvation possible.

I am not denying the Trinity, but because this is a hypothetical you can not possibly know your statement to be true.

How about, "if the Trinity isn't true, then the method of salvation described in the Bible is not possible.".

59 minutes ago, Fastfredy0 said:

I am not denying the Trinity, but because this is a hypothetical you can not possibly know your statement to be true.

How about, "if the Trinity isn't true, then the method of salvation described in the Bible is not possible.".

The cartoon being hypothetical -- how about 'this' -- hypothetical or not, the trinity / Godhead Is necessary for salvation -- there is only One way To God and it's through the cross of Jesus Christ -- and we know This because of God's Word.  God's Word IS truth.  The birth, death, burial and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. 😊

I've always liked the analogy of three candles sitting on a mantelpiece together, three candles, one light. But like all of the other analogies for the Trinity, it falls short and teaches a type of heresy too. 

I think the analogies have their place though, especially when they're used as an introduction to such an incredibly difficult concept and doctrine as the Trinity is. However, whenever we use them, I think we should also explain why/how they fall short of properly explaining the doctrine of the Trinity.

--David

I was just re-reading the 1st page of the thread -- a question was asked about defining the Holy Spirit.  How about the fact that He's a Spirit.  Just as God is a Spirit.  He was on earth as a person,  Jesus Christ, (2nd person of the Godhead) and he was a Jewish man who's job was to show us to His Father in heaven -- His Main 'job' was that of coming to die for us, in our place, and be resurrected again and after those 40 days ascend back up to God, the Father. 

It's human nature to want to understand everything.  And, after a while, we realize that it's not  possible.  So we try to equate the less understandable things to what we already Do understand.  

However, maybe simply Accepting that which we Don't understand.   Someone was asked how the authorities could quickly identify counterfeit money,   they were told that they are So Familiar with the real thing that a fake 'jumps out at them'.   Maybe that could be applied to Scripture.  We become so familiar with the Real Thing that we can spot the 'other' without that much trouble.  And one of the jobs of the Holy Spirit is guiding us into all truth. We can have a 'gut' feeling that a certain concept Isn't true.  And that 'gut' is Probably the Holy Spirit 'guiding' us. 

So -- learn about the various jobs Of the Holy Spirit -- attributes of God -- that Jesus Christ was God incarnate and returned to God the Father after dying and being resurrected by the Father.  And That truth is possibly one of the least understood concepts -- well -- other than the virgin birth supposedly being impossible. 

God has chosen to reveal Himself to us / mankind / through the Greek and Hebrew / Aramaic -- originally -- and then has allowed people to learn how to translate one language into another one.  

God's ways are not our ways and His thoughts not our thoughts.   

Not meaning to 'sermonize'.  

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2018 at 10:12 AM, Origen said:

The Lutherans!

They have all the answers, just ask them and they will tell you so. 🙂

Edited by atpollard
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, atpollard said:

The Lutherans!

They have all the answers, just ask them and they will tell you so. 🙂

Just now watched the entire video that Origen shared.  Didn't know he's Lutheran.  

People say that about Baptists, too.  Only 'we' get put in a very small box as well.  :)  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sue D. said:

Just now watched the entire video that Origen shared.  Didn't know he's Lutheran.

Who me?  I'm not.  The guy who made who the video is a  Lutheran.

It makes zero sense to think some guy dying on a cross is my saviour. So i fully accept that as a fact by faith.  Thank You Lord Jesus ☺️

Therefore it is not a stretch to accept the Trinity by faith. 

1Jn_5:7  For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 

1Pe_1:2  Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. 

Mat_28:19  Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sue D. said:

People say that about Baptists, too.  Only 'we' get put in a very small box as well.  🙂

The video is made by "Lutheran Satire".

Lutherans tend to have an answer for every question.  It usually starts out in the Book of Concord (sort of their version of Cliff-notes) and if pressed hard enough will eventually end in a "Mystery" (which is code for "God didn't say, so you shouldn't ask").

Now Baptists are famous for the Doctrine of "Multiplication through Division". Which is why no town, however small, has only ONE Baptist church.  :)

... But at least you do not have to deal with wandering, self-proclaimed prophetesses like we poor Pentecostals. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, atpollard said:

The video is made by "Lutheran Satire".

Lutherans tend to have an answer for every question.  It usually starts out in the Book of Concord (sort of their version of Cliff-notes) and if pressed hard enough will eventually end in a "Mystery" (which is code for "God didn't say, so you shouldn't ask").

Now Baptists are famous for the Doctrine of "Multiplication through Division". Which is why no town, however small, has only ONE Baptist church.  :)

... But at least you do not have to deal with wandering, self-proclaimed prophetesses like we poor Pentecostals. 😞

You're right up to a point.  The town I live in is Chek / Catholic = one very small FBC.  Though it Did experience a split -- the 'split' started meeting in the local high school which did Not work out. It moved out of town.  There tends to be an exception to Every rule.  The Brethren Church belief is 'close' to being Baptist, though.  Come to think of it -- there's a Black Baptist And a White Baptist church in town.  Guess who goes to which church.  The Hispanic sector goes to the RCC.  

Awe -- poor Pentecostals.   😞    :)  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sue D. said:

Awe -- poor Pentecostals.   😞    🙂

Thank you.  The hard part is the Pastor says that it is rude to ask someone prophesying over you if 'they took their meds' today.  So apparently I am going to become a Pastor ... which I will agree to just as soon as God confirms it with a sign.  (I am waiting for an angel with a flaming sword to guide me to a burning bush so God can tell me himself that he wants me to pursue a calling that I have neither the training, temperament nor desire for.) :RpS_lol:

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, atpollard said:

Thank you.  The hard part is the Pastor says that it is rude to ask someone prophesying over you if 'they took their meds' today.  So apparently I am going to become a Pastor ... which I will agree to just as soon as God confirms it with a sign.  (I am waiting for an angel with a flaming sword to guide me to a burning bush so God can tell me himself that he wants me to pursue a calling that I have neither the training, temperament nor desire for.) :RpS_lol:

Well -- I suppose that could depend on the individual situation.  Honestly I didn't know that prophesying is done these days.   Back in the Old Testament there were prophets sent by God to warn people of their sinfulness.  I guess that's why a person needs to be careful about what any church is teaching.  

Didn't  you know that God will give a person the desire,  temperament , etc. for whatever He Really wants us to be doing?  

And, yes, I fully comprehend the 'tone' of your comments. 

On 6/12/2018 at 9:12 AM, Origen said:

Wretched had this on, and its so great.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Just Mike said:

Wretched had this on, and its so great.

It really is.

In view of all the testimony of what the Bible teaches, I affirm that:

The Trinity is true, because God isn't the author of confusion.

• Like 1