Sign in to follow this  
markwsmith

Bible alone

Do we believe by the Bible alone?

That depends on who you are including in the word "we". The Bible is alone in the sense that is the only book inspired by God and therefore without error. God has called some to teach the Bible and some have done so by writing books. Some of these books can help us understand the Bible but they are not infallible as the Bible is.

• Like 2

Who is "we"?

• Like 1

Do we believe "what" by the Bible alone?

We certainly believe that we are saved by grace through faith, apart from the works that we do because of the Bible. For instance:

Romans 4

5 To the one who
does not work
but believes
in Him who justifies the ungodly,
his faith
is credited as righteousness.

Ephesians 2

8 By grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;

not as a result of works
, so that no one may boast.

Titus 3

5 He saved us,
not on the basis of deeds
which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy.

However, if you mean something like kneeling down to/worshiping/praying to statues or idols (or to the dead human beings they are supposed to represent), you would definitely have to go outside of the Bible to man-made traditions to find support for that, because the Bible condemns such practices in both the OT and the New.

Exodus 20

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth.

5 You shall not worship them or serve them...

1 John 5

21 Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

1 Timothy 2

5 There is one God, and one mediator also between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

We pray to God alone, for He alone is our salvation, our Advocate, and our help. A prayer like this one....................

*(WARNING, I apologize ahead of time for the inclusion of the following RC "prayer". I know that it is HIGHLY offensive. While I'm using it to make a point, please understand ahead of time that what you are about to read is blasphemous.

Hail Mary! O Mother of Perpetual Help, thou art the dispenser of every grace that God grants us in our misery; it is for this cause that He hath made thee so powerful, so rich, so kind, that thou mightest assist us in our miseries. Thou art the advocate of the most wretched and abandoned sinners, if they but come unto thee; come once more to my assistance, for I commend myself to thee. In thy hands I place my eternal salvation; to thee I entrust my soul. Enroll me among thy most faithful servants; take me under thy protection and it is enough for me: yes, for if thou protect me, I shall fear nothing; not my sins, for thou wilt obtain for me their pardon and remission; not the evil spirits, for thou art mightier than all the powers of hell; not even Jesus, my Judge, for He is appeased by a single prayer from thee. I fear only that through my own negligence I may forget to recommend myself to thee and so I shall be lost. My dear Lady, obtain for me the forgiveness of my sins, love for Jesus, final perseverance and the grace to have recourse to thee at all times, O Mother of Perpetual Help.

..............is not only heresy, it's blasphemy.

This shows us why the Bible needs to continue to be our regula fidei (our "rule of faith"), by which everything we chose to do/say/believe of a moral or spiritual nature is judged. If the Bible had been used in this manner (as our regula fidei), then the original, milder heresy of praying to dead/departed saints (that they might, in turn, pray to God for us) would have never happened, nor would it have then had the chance to evolve/escalate into prayers like the one I posited above, which goes FAR beyond heresy as a blasphemous departure from the true faith!!

Yours and His,

David

2 Timothy 3

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

17 that the man of God may be adequate,
equipped for
every
good work

Edited by David Lee
  • Like 2

Since David Lee already hit it out of the park with respect to the role of the Bible as the only source of normative rule that we measure doctrinal truth by ... the famous Sola Scriptora (placing the inspired word of God far above any additional human traditions that might be added) ...

Let me tackle the question from the opposite direction.

Is our faith built solely upon the fact that an old book (whatever its source) says so?

No.

Frankly, I came to faith in Jesus Christ from atheism with a knowledge of scripture that would have filled both sides of a postage stamp and needed more room, but would not have required more than one side of an index card. So for me, belief in the TRUTH of Christ and God preceded my gaining knowledge of what the Bible said (and certainly before I gained understanding of what the Bible really meant).

Thus faith and belief are built upon empirically verifiable reality with the Bible being just one of the best sources of information ... but we 'believe' for more reason than just because we read it somewhere.

Edited by atpollard
  • Like 2