The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
motirattan

Reality as illusion

What reasons or arguments can you make to make case that reality is not illusion? Are morals,etc illusion?

• Like 1

Depends on what is said to be the reality we are being illuded from. In the case of morales we have a conscience that tells us we did something wrong.

The assertion that reality is an illusion is self-defeating. They want you to believe that reality is an illusion as a statement of fact but this encompasses something that is real.

If all reality is an illusion then that very assertion is illusory and thus is to be rejected for what is illusory is deceptive and misleading.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/illusory?s=t

In a very similar manner I am reminded of what I heard Dr. Norman Geisler say many years ago about those who remain skeptics to the Christian faith despite all the evidence in its favor:

"Don't let the skeptic who is skeptical about everything except his own skepticism rob of you of these important truths. Believe and be saved."

Finally, and I believe most importantly, the Lord Jesus knew that reality is not an illusion. I, and I am sure others, can give many examples. People were "really" hungry and He fed them. People were "really" sick and He healed them. Lazarus "really" died and He raised Him from the dead. The Lord Jesus was "really" beaten, spat upon, insulted and crucified on the cross for my disgusting sins. He "really" rose from the dead. He will "really" come back again one day. He will "really" be praised for His absolute holiness and infinite mercy unto the ages of the ages.

Edited by Faber
  • Like 2

OK. And what will you say about those who say about those who physical is temporary and spiritual is eternal so meditation,yoga , other eastern practices is the only way to God? What does a Christian think about those who say spirituality is true, religions are just way,etc. How would we respond to this statement?

Hello motirattan,

The physical is not necessarily temporal for Christ right now is in bodily form (Colossians 2:9).

The Lord Jesus is superior to any other person and/or way in that He predicted His own death and resurrection and then rose bodily from the dead. The New Testament is historically accurate. Thus there should be no reason to deny what is written therein.

https://carm.org/manuscript-evidence

• Like 1

And what will you say about those who say about those who physical is temporary and spiritual is eternal so meditation,yoga , other eastern practices is the only way to God?

That which is physical may be temporary but it is still just as read as that which is eternal. Jesus Christ took on a physical body. ln other words he entered into and became part of the temporary. In his physical body he died to atone for our sins and enable us to receive eternal life. He is the only way to God.

At some time in the future God will create a new heaven and a new earth which will last forever, so that which is physical can be either temporary or eternal.

• Like 1

OK. And what will you say about those who say about those who physical is temporary and spiritual is eternal so meditation,yoga , other eastern practices is the only way to God? What does a Christian think about those who say spirituality is true, religions are just way,etc. How would we respond to this statement?

I'd ask where their info came from and what makes it valid, then I would point out that religions contradict.

Reincarnation and karma are pretty easy to refute also.

One can't make up for the bad karma in the past and present lives, espicaly when they don't have a God to govern who is renicarnated.

​​​​

• Like 1

What reasons or arguments can you make to make case that reality is not illusion? Are morals,etc illusion?

If it is an illusion why worry about it but because you ask shows you are concerned about consequences.

Jesus said 'If you don't believe me believe the signs.

If we have trouble with that we are only fooling ourselves and will suffer the consequences.

Of course it is illusion. Present by what can be conceptualized as, group think. Everyone see's the world in a way that makes it coalesce just so. Every new baby is brought into the world and taught how the world goes. And what it means to be human living in it. This is why morality is not universal. And yet reality on earth in as much as we are living on earth, is. Cultural differences occur due to the same hard wiring group think in that region. 

Ever ask yourself why everything in the universe including our planet spins? And for most part, counterclockwise?