The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
CDF47

Does Anyone Here Post in Atheist Forums?

For the past 1 1/2 years or so I've been posting in atheist forums to discuss the Word of God and Intelligent Design science. Does anyone here post in those forums?

Specifically, I post at The Thinking Atheist Forum. Would be helpful if others joined in there.

• Like 1

You have to wear your thick skin when posting in there. Some of them use smearing and manipulative debate tactics in their posts. There is also mocking and scoffing at the Most High God which is difficult for me to handle. I still feel a need to post there though.

• Like 2

I have conversed briefly a time or two, but found it generally unproductive. I am disinterested in debating biology on the molecular biochemistry level or responding to arguments that are framed in such a narrow way that no real evidence counter to the atheist premise is valid.

I wish you success in whatever your intended goal might be, even just offering defense of faith. I would offer only one personal observation as a former atheist that no intellectual argument would have changed my world view. In my case it required a clear and deliberate act of God.

• Like 5

You have to wear your thick skin when posting in there. Some of them use smearing and manipulative debate tactics in their posts. There is also mocking and scoffing at the Most High God which is difficult for me to handle. I still feel a need to post there though.
If you feel the need, then you should post there. I can only give you this advice. First, limit your focus on one or two areas of study. The fact is no one can be an expert in every area of a given field of study. No one person can know it all. Second, seek out and read scholars who are qualified experts and known in their field of study. Third, read the opposition. Seek to understand their evidence and arguments. Don't just assume you understand and know it. Read the primary sources.
  • Like 1

There is also mocking and scoffing at the Most High God which is difficult for me to handle. I still feel a need to post there though.

I personally don't feel compelled to post there. Quite opposite actually:

Blessed is the man

who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,

nor stands in the way of sinners,

nor sits in the seat of scoffers;

2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,

and on his law he meditates day and night.

God bless,

William

• Like 4

I have conversed briefly a time or two, but found it generally unproductive. I am disinterested in debating biology on the molecular biochemistry level or responding to arguments that are framed in such a narrow way that no real evidence counter to the atheist premise is valid.

I wish you success in whatever your intended goal might be, even just offering defense of faith. I would offer only one personal observation as a former atheist that no intellectual argument would have changed my world view. In my case it required a clear and deliberate act of God.

You're probably right. I may be done with that site. It's a shame we can't have both a scientific and faith based discussion on there without the nonsense.

If you feel the need, then you should post there. I can only give you this advice. First, limit your focus on one or two areas of study. The fact is no one can be an expert in every area of a given field of study. No one person can know it all. Second, seek out and read scholars who are qualified experts and known in their field of study. Third, read the opposition. Seek to understand their evidence and arguments. Don't just assume you understand and know it. Read the primary sources.

That is some good advice I will take into account if I return to that site. I try to limit it to Intelligent Design type arguments and the Word of God to the best of my knowledge. They use manipulative debate tactics though, like straw man arguments, smearing, mocking God,,,, It is a difficult place to post.

• Like 2

@CDF47 "Does anyone here post in those forums?"

I hope not.

No, not that I know of.

I personally don't feel compelled to post there. Quite opposite actually:

Blessed is the man

who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,

nor stands in the way of sinners,

nor sits in the seat of scoffers;

2 but his delight is in the law of the Lord,

and on his law he meditates day and night.

God bless,

William

Yeah, it may be time to leave that site. I may make a last post or so for my strongest case for the Lord but leave it at that.

Sometimes athiest accualy want their disbelieve to be proved wrong, but when they're mocking God and arguing on and on past the point that they've been given more than enough reason to believe then it just doesn't matter what facts you show them, they don't want to believe.

If you're looking to witness via the web it's usually best to go in forums and chat rooms that aren't about religion or religious/atheist debate. There's lots of empty people out there look in something to fill them, they think they'll find in finding someone to flrirt with in a chat room or they post pictures of themselves in forums for attention, those people need Christ, and many times they will listen.

• Like 2

Specifically, I post at The Thinking Atheist Forum. Would be helpful if others joined in there.

I'm a member of that forum. I visit it frequently but don't post very often. I spend most of my time there in the Personal Issues and Support section and pray for those who post their problems there. I think that perhaps in dealing atheists praying that God will change their hearts can do more good than trying to convince them of the truth.

• Like 1

Sometimes athiest accualy want their disbelieve to be proved wrong, but when they're mocking God and arguing on and on past the point that they've been given more than enough reason to believe then it just doesn't matter what facts you show them, they don't want to believe.

If you're looking to witness via the web it's usually best to go in forums and chat rooms that aren't about religion or religious/atheist debate. There's lots of empty people out there look in something to fill them, they think they'll find in finding someone to flrirt with in a chat room or they post pictures of themselves in forums for attention, those people need Christ, and many times they will listen.

Great point. I may have exhausted the attempts at the atheist forum.

I use the Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) forums I post at to get God's Word out to them whenever the opportunity arises. I also include Intelligent Design and Word of God information in my signature in the MMA forums I post at. So I agree that is a really good idea and opportunity to preach God's Word.

• Like 1

I'm a member of that forum. I visit it frequently but don't post very often. I spend most of my time there in the Personal Issues and Support section and pray for those who post their problems there. I think that perhaps in dealing atheists praying that God will change their hearts can do more good than trying to convince them of the truth.

Excellent that you are on that forum as well. I will have to check out the Personal Issues and Support section you are referring to and maybe take the same approach.

The other forum I've been on and off in is Religion Forum.com. It shows up in my email as religionforum-- debate and discuss. I was on it for a couple of years and then banned for a year and then back on again after 1 1/2 yrs. There's a 'resident atheist' on there as well as some agnostics and a couple of Islamists. They don't broadcast their affiliations but names like 'Mohammad Isa' kind of give it away. I've used it as a witnessing tool as well as simply entering into interesting topics of discussion.

I got really frustrated with the negative attitudes towards God -- and then a poster got in and was defending me -- Anglican. He steered me to This forum. Under a different name. We'd also been on email for a while. Said he gets frustrated with Forums at times. And I do too , at times.

This particular Forum is fairly small compared the the Religion Forums.

The other one is 'run' by about five regular posters and some who come and go --sometimes simply because the atheistic attitudes aren't fun to discuss with. A person Can get to feel like the odd- duck- out Because of belief in God. The idea supposedly is that Intellectualism Replaces belief in God.

After a while -- on most any forum -- a person forms 'friendships' of sorts. Like around here. Posters let other posters know that they 'like' your post. And it makes ya feel good. :)

I get in on Evolution discussions / Does God exist debates. / Proof of God discussions. And a Long time ago I was interested in genetics and at the times I was asking - Herm - started responding -- he's got a Ph.D. -- didn't know Then that he was the 'resident' atheist. He was trying to convert me to theistic evolution. When he Finally realized that I was 'a lost cause' -- he and some of the others started giving 'attitude' and I gave it right back -- within bounds. Then they managed to 'corner' me and I got banned.

I look at it this way -- if the only people we discuss Bible with are those who believe the same way -- then are we really being a 'light in a dark world'?! I've not been out in the working world, so there's not that secular outlet.

• Like 3

The other forum I've been on and off in is Religion Forum.com. It shows up in my email as religionforum-- debate and discuss. I was on it for a couple of years and then banned for a year and then back on again after 1 1/2 yrs. There's a 'resident atheist' on there as well as some agnostics and a couple of Islamists. They don't broadcast their affiliations but names like 'Mohammad Isa' kind of give it away. I've used it as a witnessing tool as well as simply entering into interesting topics of discussion.

I got really frustrated with the negative attitudes towards God -- and then a poster got in and was defending me -- Anglican. He steered me to This forum. Under a different name. We'd also been on email for a while. Said he gets frustrated with Forums at times. And I do too , at times.

The other one is 'run' by about five regular posters and some who come and go --sometimes simply because the atheistic attitudes aren't fun to discuss with. A person Can get to feel like the odd- duck- out Because of belief in God. The idea supposedly is that Intellectualism Replaces belief in God.

After a while -- on most any forum -- a person forms 'friendships' of sorts. Like around here. Posters let other posters know that they 'like' your post. And it makes ya feel good. :)

I get in on Evolution discussions / Does God exist debates. / Proof of God discussions. And a Long time ago I was interested in genetics and at the times I was asking - Herm - started responding -- he's got a Ph.D. -- didn't know Then that he was the 'resident' atheist. He was trying to convert me to theistic evolution. When he Finally realized that I was 'a lost cause' -- he and some of the others started giving 'attitude' and I gave it right back -- within bounds. Then they managed to 'corner' me and I got banned.

I look at it this way -- if the only people we discuss Bible with are those who believe the same way -- then are we really being a 'light in a dark world'?! I've not been out in the working world, so there's not that secular outlet.

Religion Forum [dot] com I believe is owned by the same company as Christian Forums [dot] com.

As for atheist forums I used to frequent them daily, those and spiritual forums. I am now convinced that no amount of intellectual debate is going to convert anyone. The main issue I have is that typically Christians learn the language of atheistic systems (Darwinian Evolution) yet atheist themselves never open the covers of the bible. I understand that apologists attempt to bridge build, but I have never witnessed an atheist cross the bridge. Be honest, how many atheist have you witnessed converting through intellectual debate?

You say that if we discuss the Bible with only those that believe the same way we are really being a light in a dark world. I do not think so. We are in a world of light and one day there will be no atheist to debate, because they hate the light. Christians themselves struggle daily and need help now. Not to mention we tend to sharpen our swords by actually opening the covers of the bible should debate be necessary. Read post number 14 here as a prime example of the damage it does for our young brethren to be around atheist: https://www.christforums.org/forum/g...7896#post47896

As Jesus said, He did not come for the righteous. Meaning He did not come for the self-righteous - Luke 5:32 but sinners to repentance.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

As for atheist forums I used to frequent them daily, those and spiritual forums. I am now convinced that no amount of intellectual debate is going to convert anyone.

You might not persuade the ones you are debating but don't forget that others read your posts. If is always possible that you will have an influence of someone and be completely unaware of it. Some of those on atheist and spiritual forums are seeking the truth and by posting you might help them find it.

• Like 2

You might not persuade the ones you are debating but don't forget that others read your posts. If is always possible that you will have an influence of someone and be completely unaware of it. Some of those on atheist and spiritual forums are seeking the truth and by posting you might help them find it.

You're absolutely right -- people skim through posts and responses frequently -- I do it a lot myself. At the bottom of the various pages, it tells who is on-line / browsing the forum.

There was a guy who shared his testamony -- there was a guy on a street corner sharing with another guy who wasn't really listening -- what neither of them new was that there was a guy out of sight around the corner who was Also hearing and Listening. He was the one who accepted Christ. He was the one who wrote the article sharing His testamony. He shared that "'ya never know Who will Also be listening'".

• Like 3

That's interesting. Similar to how I feel when posting on those forums.

Religion Forum [dot] com I believe is owned by the same company as Christian Forums [dot] com. They (https://www.whippmedia.com/#portfolio) have repeatedly inquired about purchasing this website.

As for atheist forums I used to frequent them daily, those and spiritual forums. I am now convinced that no amount of intellectual debate is going to convert anyone. The main issue I have is that typically Christians learn the language of atheistic systems (Darwinian Evolution) yet atheist themselves never open the covers of the bible. I understand that apologists attempt to bridge build, but I have never witnessed an atheist cross the bridge. Be honest, how many atheist have you witnessed converting through intellectual debate?

You say that if we discuss the Bible with only those that believe the same way we are really being a light in a dark world. I do not think so. We are in a world of light and one day there will be no atheist to debate, because they hate the light. Christians themselves struggle daily and need help now. Not to mention we tend to sharpen our swords by actually opening the covers of the bible should debate be necessary. Read post number 14 here as a prime example of the damage it does for our young brethren to be around atheist: https://www.christforums.org/forum/general-secular-topics/atheism-agnosticism-sec-humanism/546-what-led-you-to-become-an-atheist-some-surprising-answers?p=47896#post47896

As Jesus said, He did not come for the righteous. Meaning He did not come for the self-righteous - Luke 5:32 but sinners to repentance.

God bless,

William

That's sad to see. You're right, being around so many atheist can have a negative affect, especially if someones faith is not the strongest. That's one reason why we are not to be yoked with unbelievers.

That's what kept me going back to the atheist forums. There are lurkers on there, plus, some posters might just not want to post because they are intimidated by the posts of all their atheist friends on those sites.

You're absolutely right -- people skim through posts and responses frequently -- I do it a lot myself. At the bottom of the various pages, it tells who is on-line / browsing the forum.

There was a guy who shared his testamony -- there was a guy on a street corner sharing with another guy who wasn't really listening -- what neither of them new was that there was a guy out of sight around the corner who was Also hearing and Listening. He was the one who accepted Christ. He was the one who wrote the article sharing His testamony. He shared that "'ya never know Who will Also be listening'".

Great point.

• Like 1

That's sad to see. You're right, being around so many atheist can have a negative affect, especially if someones faith is not the strongest. That's one reason why we are not to be yoked with unbelievers.

A person Can be strong in their faith and still feel 'weighed down' at times.

Unequally yoked to non-believers would refer to marriage / business partnerships -- I'm not married to any of them or considering business relationships.

• Like 1

A person Can be strong in their faith and still feel 'weighed down' at times.

Unequally yoked to non-believers would refer to marriage / business partnerships -- I'm not married to any of them or considering business relationships.

True, I know I've been there.

Yeah, I believe unequally yoked involves close friendships,... Friendships can occur on forums but I am not too concerned with that when posting on atheist forums.

True, I know I've been there.

Yeah, I believe unequally yoked involves close friendships,... Friendships can occur on forums but I am not too concerned with that when posting on atheist forums.

I discovered After getting banned and getting back onto that Forum , that how something is presented is as important as what is being presented. I've been more careful about my wording this time. But it's still gets unsettling at times -- like lately again. I'm probably better off backing off for a while again. But my curiosity has a way of getting 'this cat' back into troubling waters.

This Forum provides safer / more balanced waters.

• Like 1