The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Innerfire89

Is all sin the same?

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but there's a little systematic work in this thread so it is.

Is all sin the same? Yes and no.

All sin separates us from God, but the heinousness of some compared to others is not the same as others. For example: calling Joe a butt head is not as bad as killing Joe, Joe won't die if you call him a butt head, his wife won't be a widow and his children will still have a father.

Sin varies in terms of impact, (Cor.6:18) culpability, (Rom. 1:27-32) and in terms of judgment. (2nd Peter 2:17, Mark 9:42-47, James 3:1)

And we see that some sins are worse than others by how we're warned more against them 1St Cor. 6:12-20.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

• Like 1

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but there's a little systematic work in this thread so it is.

Is all sin the same? Yes and no.

All sin separates us from God, but the heinousness of some compared to others is not the same as others. For example: calling Joe a butt head is not as bad as killing Joe, Joe won't die if you call him a butt head, his wife won't be a widow and his children will still have a father.

Sin varies in terms of impact, (Cor.6:18) culpability, (Rom. 1:27-32) and in terms of judgment. (2nd Peter 2:17, Mark 9:42-47, James 3:1)

And we see that some sins are worse than others by how we're warned more against them 1St Cor. 6:12-20.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

I agree that the answer is yes and no.

All sin condemns us to Hell without the atoning salvation of Christ. However, there are different degrees of sin. This is evidenced in the books of Moses as there were different degrees of punishment for different offenses.

• Like 1

I agree that the answer is yes and no.

All sin condemns us to Hell without the atoning salvation of Christ. However, there are different degrees of sin. This is evidenced in the books of Moses as there were different degrees of punishment for different offenses.

But that is under the law covenant. Under the new covenant all sin is paid for. And once we have been washed clean, we should have no more conscious ness of sins. Hebrews 10:2

Any sin, even calling Joe a butt head, makes us guilty of killing him and all the other sins of that covenant. Under Grace, It's not in our heart to call him names. It is not in our heart to kill him, it is not in our heart to steal from him or to hurt him in any way.

When we do want to thump him upside the head, that is not in our heart, but in our flesh. That is why we are told to pay no attention to our flesh. Sewing to our flesh will only cause us to reap to the flesh: a good thump on his head. Then we soon learn he is friends with an angry MMA fighter.

All sin separates us from God, but the heinousness of some compared to others is not the same as others.

I think some people suggest that when Jesus taught Matthew 5:21-28 He's stating that the thought is as bad as the deed.

• Matthew 5:21-28 21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder; and whoever murders will be liable to judgment.’ 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire. 23 So if you are offering your gift at the altar and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar and go. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift. 25 Come to terms quickly with your accuser while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison. Truly, I say to you, you will never get out until you have paid the last penny.26

Needlessly said, this puts a whole new spin on the popular phrase known today as "a penny for your thoughts".

Now, I notice Matthew 5:21 says, "you have heard" rather than as Jesus says elsewhere "Have you not read?". I think the spirit of the Law was lost for the letter through teaching "to those of old". That is, if these are the Scriptures which many proof from in order to suggest that the thought is as bad as the deed. One thing is for certain, I think Jesus parallels man's municipal court to the supreme court of God.

I agree with you from a human perspective that are some are not as bad as others. However, I must admit that I am left fearful and trembling in front of Matthew 5:21-28. For God does not judge us according to human standards. Even in these verses repentance is mentioned. If that is the purpose of the Law which is repentance, then Jesus has raised the bar to a standard so high that I know that I fail miserably or fall short of reaching - apart from Christ Jesus.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Under the law, even the best of us deserves Hell. Under Grace, even the worst of us gets forgiven.

• Like 1

But that is under the law covenant. Under the new covenant all sin is paid for. And once we have been washed clean, we should have no more conscious ness of sins. Hebrews 10:2

Any sin, even calling Joe a butt head, makes us guilty of killing him and all the other sins of that covenant. Under Grace, It's not in our heart to call him names. It is not in our heart to kill him, it is not in our heart to steal from him or to hurt him in any way.

When we do want to thump him upside the head, that is not in our heart, but in our flesh. That is why we are told to pay no attention to our flesh. Sewing to our flesh will only cause us to reap to the flesh: a good thump on his head. Then we soon learn he is friends with an angry MMA fighter.

First, I disagree that the Bible says calling Joe a butthead makes us guilty of killing him.

That being said, under grace there are still degrees of sin. That doesn't mean they aren't forgiven for the elect, but there are still degrees. What about for those who are not of the elect and are not under grace?

Under the law, even the best of us deserves Hell. Under Grace, even the worst of us gets forgiven.

Careful, that is sounding like universalism.

Careful, that is sounding like universalism.

How So?

Under the law, no one is righteous.

Under Grace, He took ALL our sins and gave us His righteousness.

How is that universalism? Not everyone is going to heaven because not every one is under grace.

How So?

How is that universalism? Not everyone is going to heaven because not every one is under grace.

You should be more clear about what you post. You stated that under grace even the worst of us gets forgiven. But that is not true unless you believe on Christ. If you leave out that qualifier it sounds like universalism.

"The law sends us to the Gospel that we may be justified; and the Gospel sends us to the law again to inquire what is our duty as those who are justified." - Samuel Bolton

God bless,

William

"The law sends us to the Gospel that we may be justified; and the Gospel sends us to the law again to inquire what is our duty as those who are justified." - Samuel Bolton

God bless,

William

Who is Sam Bolton?

Paul tells us that once we have come to the faith we aare no longer under the law. We are no longer servants but children.

Probably this Sam Bolton. Although, Sam B. the ski-jump athlete may have said it as well!

• Like 1

Who is Sam Bolton?

Paul tells us that once we have come to the faith we aare no longer under the law. We are no longer servants but children.

We are no longer condemned by the law or are justifed by it, but in following Christ law to love the Lord with all our soul, mind, and strength and to love one another is understood by lookng back at the law.

• Like 1

We are no longer condemned by the law or are justifed by it, but in following Christ law to love the Lord with all our soul, mind, and strength and to love one another is understood by lookng back at the law.

Yes, that is the new commandment He gave us.

• Like 1

Yes, that is the new commandment He gave us.

You mean Matthew 22:37 and Matthew 22:39 were a new commandment?

1. Matthew 22:37 “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. And he said to him,
  2. Matthew 22:39 And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Can't they be found in the OT?

• Deuteronomy 6:5, “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might."
  • Leviticus 19:18, "You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the sons of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself; I am the LORD."

God bless,

William

• Like 2

The Lord Jesus taught that those who delivered Him up to Pilate committed the "greater sin" in John 19:11. The same Greek word for "delivered" is used by Peter in his gospel proclamation to the unbelieving Jews at that time that they were responsible for delivering up Christ in Acts 3:13.

• Like 2

The Lord Jesus taught that those who delivered Him up to Pilate committed the "greater sin" in John 19:11. The same Greek word for "delivered" is used by Peter in his gospel proclamation to the unbelieving Jews at that time that they were responsible for delivering up Christ in Acts 3:13.

Yes, they delivered Him up, but that was not their "greater" sin. Denying Him was.

Yes, they delivered Him up, but that was not their "greater" sin. Denying Him was.

Curious, do you believe Peter's denial was more sinful than Judas Iscariot's betrayal?

God bless,

William

Curious, do you believe Peter's denial was more sinful than Judas Iscariot's betrayal?

God bless,

William

I'm not sure. Peter denied Christ. Judas never surrendered to Christ. Both will send you to Hell if not repented. Peter did, Judas didn't as far as we know. Peter was humbled, Judas took his own life--the most selfrighteous act trying to pay for his own sins. I believe Jesus would have forgave Judas, if he only asked.

Two side of the same coin I believe. Because they denied He was the Son of God (John 19:7) they delivered Him up to Pilate.

- those who didn't deny this, even Peter (Matthew 16:16), would not deliver Him up to Pilate.

Two side of the same coin I believe. Because they denied He was the Son of God (John 19:7) they delivered Him up to Pilate.

- those who didn't deny this, even Peter (Matthew 16:16), would not deliver Him up to Pilate.

I'm certain some felt justified in delivering up Jesus for God (religious leaders) or for country (Roman Soldiers). No doubt in my mind Luke 23:34 was directed to them as Jesus made intercession for any that may of sinned against Him.

God bless,

William

You should be more clear about what you post. You stated that under grace even the worst of us gets forgiven. But that is not true unless you believe on Christ. If you leave out that qualifier it sounds like universalism.

Believing in Christ is what puts us under the covenant of Grace. No one is disqualified.

Believing in Christ is what puts us under the covenant of Grace. No one is disqualified.

No, what I am saying is that you need to be more precise when discussing theological concepts. You left out the qualifier in your statement that people are only saved if they believe in Christ. By leaving that out, you put forth what seemed to be a universalist position.

We need to be very careful and precise about how we handle and deliver Scripture and the doctrines of Scripture so that there is no ambiguity.

James 2:10, For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.

Fornication I don't know that this is greater, but it is in a different classification;

Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.

What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.

In Christ

• Like 1