The Protestant Community

Are you Protestant? Or, are you sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. Register in less than a minute, it is simple, fast, and free! We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums is:

.... an orthodox Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism. Those who would challenge the peace and harmony that we enjoy here as fellow believers are directed to another forum.

Enjoy your fellowship

In order to understand the importance of Christian fellowship, we must first understand what Christian fellowship is and what it isn’t. The Greek words translated “fellowship” in the New Testament mean essentially a partnership to the mutual benefit of those involved. Christian fellowship, then, is the mutually beneficial relationship between Christians, who can’t have the identical relationship with those outside the faith. Those who believe the gospel are united in the Spirit through Christ to the Father, and that unity is the basis of fellowship. This relationship is described by Jesus in His high-priestly prayer for His followers in John 17:23. The importance of true Christian fellowship is that it reinforces Christ centeredness in our mind and helps us to focus on Christ and His desires and goals for us. As iron sharpens iron, in true Christian fellowship Christians sharpen one another's faith and stir one another to exercise that faith in love and good works, all to God’s glory.
Sign in to follow this  
CDF47

Three Percent of the Church Believes the Holy Spirit is Feminine

Three percent of the church believes the Holy Spirit is feminine. They base the claim on the following:

In original Hebrew and Aramaic, the word for Spirit is a feminine word. Furthermore, Jesus was conceived in the womb of the Holy Spirit within Mary. Wisdom is also referred to as she in the Bible and Wisdom is also commonly referred to as the Holy Spirit. Additionally, in Genesis 1:27 the LORD states, “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” Hence, the LORD created male and female in his image and there is the Godhead, so the feminine image may be of the Holy Spirit.

Personally, I believe the Holy Spirit is masculine. What are your thoughts?

Matthew 1:18-21 (NKJV)

18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins.”

Where I learned about the birds and the bees, the partner responsible for making a female of the species pregnant was generally, by definition, 'male'.

• Mary was with child (pregnant) "of the Holy Spirit".
  • Mary was female
  • (You do the math about the gender of the Holy Spirit). [shrug]

This is really a non-issue. People who make such comments have no training in Greek, Hebrew or linguistics. Sure the word for spirit in Hebrew is feminine (by the way Hebrew has no neuter form) but the word for spirit in Greek is neuter while the word for spirit in Latin is masculine. Grammatical gender and personal gender are not necessarily the same thing.

• Like 3

Matthew 1:18-21 (NKJV)

18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit. 21 And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name JESUS, for He will save His people from their sins.”

Where I learned about the birds and the bees, the partner responsible for making a female of the species pregnant was generally, by definition, 'male'.

• Mary was with child (pregnant) "of the Holy Spirit".
  • Mary was female
  • (You do the math about the gender of the Holy Spirit). [shrug]

That is a good point to refute those claims.

This is really a non-issue. People who make such comments have no training in Greek, Hebrew or linguistics. Sure the word for spirit in Hebrew is feminine (by the way Hebrew has no neuter form) but the word for spirit in Greek is neuter while the word for spirit in Latin is masculine. Grammatical gender and personal gender are not necessarily the same thing.

I've read that in the past as well. I was just wondering if others on here had the same view. It does seem like a non-issue but there are still some that believe the Holy Spirit is feminine or even the Mother of the Lord. I heard that it was only 3 percent of the Church though.

• Like 1

Hi CDF47, concerning the HS, Jesus tells us (in part):

John 14

26 The Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name,
He
will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

John 16

13 When
He
, the Spirit of truth, comes,
He
will guide you into all the truth; for
He
will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever
He
hears,
He
will speak; and
He
will disclose to you what is to come.

He
will glorify Me, for
He
will take of Mine and will disclose it to you.

As for "wisdom" in the OT, the fact that it is often personified does not also mean that it's referring to the HS, ever!

Finally,
Genesis 1:27
states that mankind was made in God's image. It also tells us that He made us both male and female. This latter statement further qualifies how we were made from the beginning (which is certainly important to know), but it does not describe God.

Yours and His,

David

• Like 2

I've read that in the past as well. I was just wondering if others on here had the same view. It does seem like a non-issue but there are still some that believe the Holy Spirit is feminine or even the Mother of the Lord. I heard that it was only 3 percent of the Church though.
As I said grammatical gender and personal gender are not necessarily the same thing. To put it bluntly those who believe the OP don't know what they are talking about. The fact that the Hebrew for spirit is feminine does not necessarily mean the spirit itself is female.

Here are two examples, one from the N.T. and one from the O.T., concerning gender and the problems if one insists on understanding grammatical gender as personal gender.

One Greek word for child is τέκνον. The word in Greek is neuter. Clearly every Greek knew that a child was either a boy or girl but the word is neuter.

The Hebrew noun for soul is nephesh (i.e. נֶ֫פֶשׁ‎) and it is feminine. Is everyone's soul feminine in spite of the fact some human beings are male? No! That is not how grammatical gender works.

• Like 2

Hi CDF47, concerning the HS, Jesus tells us (in part):

As for "wisdom" in the OT, the fact that it is often personified does not also mean that it's referring to the HS, ever!

Finally,
Genesis 1:27
states that mankind was made in God's image. It also tells us that He made us both male and female. This latter statement further qualifies how we were made from the beginning (which is certainly important to know), but it does not describe God.

Yours and His,

David

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are masculine but I watched a video once and did some reading on this and some good arguments were made so I posted them in this thread. I think it is an interesting topic to discuss. I wonder if any of the three percent are on this forum who believe the Holy Spirit is feminine.

As I said grammatical gender and personal gender are not necessarily the same thing. To put it bluntly those who believe the OP don't know what they are talking about. The fact that the Hebrew for spirit is feminine does not necessarily mean the spirit itself is female.

Here are two examples, one from the N.T. and one from the O.T. concerning gender and the problems if one insists on understanding grammatical gender as personal gender.

One Greek word for child is τέκνον. The word in Greek is neuter. Clearly every Greek knew that a child was either a boy or girl.

The Hebrew noun for soul is nephesh (i.e. נֶ֫פֶשׁ‎) and it is feminine. Is everyone soul feminine in spite of the fact some human beings are male? No! That is not how grammatical gender works.

Excellent points to refute the feminine Holy Spirit argument.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are masculine but I watched a video once and did some reading on this and some good arguments were made so I posted them in this thread. I think it is an interesting topic to discuss. I wonder if any of the three percent are on this forum who believe the Holy Spirit is feminine.

Hello CDF,

I think there's less chance that a forum full of conservative Christians would believe such things. Liberal bent egalitarians that want to twist scripture are usually found on other boards than this, and I'm sure that the church members that believe such thing are more rooted in culture and the social gospel than they are in Scripture. They generally are making an argument to support either a feminist agenda or even the LGBT~Q cause. Just my opinion based on observation.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

Hello CDF,

I think there's less chance that a forum full of conservative Christians would believe such things. Liberal bent egalitarians that want to twist scripture are usually found on other boards than this, and I'm sure that the church members that believe such thing are more rooted in culture and the social gospel than they are in Scripture. They generally are making an argument to support either a feminist agenda or even the LGBT~Q cause. Just my opinion based on observation.

God bless,

William

Yeah, that could be for some or many that have this belief.

Three percent of the church believes the Holy Spirit is feminine. They base the claim on the following:

In original Hebrew and Aramaic, the word for Spirit is a feminine word. Furthermore, Jesus was conceived in the womb of the Holy Spirit within Mary. Wisdom is also referred to as she in the Bible and Wisdom is also commonly referred to as the Holy Spirit. Additionally, in Genesis 1:27 the LORD states, “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” Hence, the LORD created male and female in his image and there is the Godhead, so the feminine image may be of the Holy Spirit.

Personally, I believe the Holy Spirit is masculine. What are your thoughts?

It seems relevant to the discussion that a distinction needs to be made between the difference of reproductive sex and gender. Since God is a Spirit, as far as I know, He can not reproduce. The creation of the Earth and Adam is His means to reproduce. So gender is not related to reproductive facility but identity. While those grammatical elements may be so, uniformly throughout the Bible, God identifies himself in the masculine for all three members of the Godhead.

This does not carryover to humanity, in my opinion. My step brother was a homosexual prostitute in New York City. He believed that his human spirit was female so had a sex change operation, which simply made him a mutilated male. Sadly, he died of AIDS a few years later. I think our human spirits determine our gender and is manifested in our physical development as people. In other words, I think men have masculine spirits and women have feminine spirits.

While most people regard angels to be male in gender only, because there are no Bible references to female angels, I have talked with my own angel who was feminine, named Helen. Why would Jesus say that in Heaven we will be like the angels who neither marry nor are given in marriage? Many assume that we will be genderless and that is what Jesus means. But it says nothing about gender, only marriage. If he says they are not given in marriage, it implies that they could because they have masculine and feminine spirits. But since they do not marry, it seems to me that they do not have reproductive organs. Of course, many believe that God created each angel one by one, hence the reason that are called sons of God. I do not believe the sons of God were angels, but that is another topic.

My point being, God sees himself in the masculine which implies his Spirit has a masculine gender, not feminine.

It seems relevant to the discussion that a distinction needs to be made between the difference of reproductive sex and gender. Since God is a Spirit, as far as I know, He can not reproduce. The creation of the Earth and Adam is His means to reproduce. So gender is not related to reproductive facility but identity. While those grammatical elements may be so, uniformly throughout the Bible, God identifies himself in the masculine for all three members of the Godhead.

This does not carryover to humanity, in my opinion. My step brother was a homosexual prostitute in New York City. He believed that his human spirit was female so had a sex change operation, which simply made him a mutilated male. Sadly, he died of AIDS a few years later. I think our human spirits determine our gender and is manifested in our physical development as people. In other words, I think men have masculine spirits and women have feminine spirits.

While most people regard angels to be male in gender only, because there are no Bible references to female angels, I have talked with my own angel who was feminine, named Helen. Why would Jesus say that in Heaven we will be like the angels who neither marry nor are given in marriage? Many assume that we will be genderless and that is what Jesus means. But it says nothing about gender, only marriage. If he says they are not given in marriage, it implies that they could because they have masculine and feminine spirits. But since they do not marry, it seems to me that they do not have reproductive organs. Of course, many believe that God created each angel one by one, hence the reason that are called sons of God. I do not believe the sons of God were angels, but that is another topic.

My point being, God sees himself in the masculine which implies his Spirit has a masculine gender, not feminine.

Agreed.

I think there may be feminine spirits in the Heavenly realms. The Lord seems to love diversity. I just think they may be gender-less due to their lack of reproductive organs.

I think the sons of God in most cases in the Bible are angels but in one verse in Genesis I believe he is referring to very holy men when the Scriptures state the sons of God went unto the daughters of men. I personally do not believe the Book of Enoch tales regarding this verse.

Agreed.

I think there may be feminine spirits in the Heavenly realms. The Lord seems to love diversity. I just think they may be gender-less due to their lack of reproductive organs.

This is my point. Gender has nothing to do with reproductive organs. It is an intrinsic element of the spirit.

I think the sons of God in most cases in the Bible are angels but in one verse in Genesis I believe he is referring to very holy men when the Scriptures state the sons of God went unto the daughters of men. I personally do not believe the Book of Enoch tales regarding this verse.

I agree. In Genesis the sons of God, in my opinion, are the righteous line of Seth who intermarried with the daughters of men. It just occurred to me that maybe this is why Rebekah sent Jacob to marry his cousin, daughters of Laban, This may also explain why both Isaac and Rebekah were grieved that Esau had married the daughters of the Canaanites.

I also think that in the book of Job, when Satan came among the sons of God, he came into a congregation of the righteous men who were worshiping Yahweh. If you don't believe demons come to church, you are not paying attention.

• Like 1

I also think that in the book of Job, when Satan came among the sons of God, he came into a congregation of the righteous men who were worshiping Yahweh.

Later in Job, when speaking about the creation of the earth, God said "On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?" (Job 38:6-7) The term "sons of God" clearly refers to angels rather than righteous men here. Why wouldn't it mean the same thing earlier in the book and in Genesis? Job is the oldest book in the Bible, written even before Genesis, so the first readers of Genesis would have this idea in mind when they read about the sons of God in Genesis. I have even written a post on this subject in my blog: https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/2017/01/11/the-sons-of-god-and-the-daughters-of-men/

This is my point. Gender has nothing to do with reproductive organs. It is an intrinsic element of the spirit.

I agree. In Genesis the sons of God, in my opinion, are the righteous line of Seth who intermarried with the daughters of men. It just occurred to me that maybe this is why Rebekah sent Jacob to marry his cousin, daughters of Laban, This may also explain why both Isaac and Rebekah were grieved that Esau had married the daughters of the Canaanites.

I also think that in the book of Job, when Satan came among the sons of God, he came into a congregation of the righteous men who were worshiping Yahweh. If you don't believe demons come to church, you are not paying attention.

That's right and some interesting insight into those relationships.

Later in Job, when speaking about the creation of the earth, God said "On what were its bases sunk, or who laid its cornerstone, when the morning stars sang together and all the sons of God shouted for joy?" (Job 38:6-7) The term "sons of God" clearly refers to angels rather than righteous men here. Why wouldn't it mean the same thing earlier in the book and in Genesis? Job is the oldest book in the Bible, written even before Genesis, so the first readers of Genesis would have this idea in mind when they read about the sons of God in Genesis. I have even written a post on this subject in my blog: https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/20...ghters-of-men/

I think there is a difference depending on where and how it's used. Sons of God stands for angels in some locations and holy and righteous men (messengers) in Genesis, John 1:12, Romans 8:14, and other locations.