The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Origen

Poll Question: Noah and The Flood

Poll Question: Noah and The Flood  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Poll Question: Noah and The Flood

• World Wide Flood
    • Local Flood
    • No Flood, story not meant to be taken literally

On 6/4/2018 at 3:48 PM, Sue D. said:

In my NIV -- Luke 2:1 reads "In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world.  (This was the first census that took place while Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 

Good point.  The various versions I scanned say:

·  NET ... all the empire  .

·  NIV 2:1 ... entire Roman world.

·  NASB 2:1 ... all the inhabited earth.

·  ESV 2:1  all the world

·  NLT 2:1 ... the Roman Empire.

·  MSG 2:1 ... throughout the Empire.

·  BBE 2:1 ... numbering of all the world.

·  NKJV 2:1 ... all the world

This adds strength to my argument that the word WORLD is ambiguous for translators don't seem to even agree on the meaning of WORLD in just a single verse.  So, how am I suppose to be sure about the meaning of WORLD in the case of 'the flood'.

On 6/4/2018 at 3:48 PM, Sue D. said:

It Would have been a 'biggy' for you if you'd lived at that time.   You'd either have been IN the ark or Drowned.   

Well, hopefully I lived in Britain and "WORLD" does not mean planet.  *giggle*

49 minutes ago, Fastfredy0 said:

Good point.  The various versions I scanned say:

·  NET ... all the empire  .

·  NIV 2:1 ... entire Roman world.

·  NASB 2:1 ... all the inhabited earth.

·  ESV 2:1  all the world

·  NLT 2:1 ... the Roman Empire.

·  MSG 2:1 ... throughout the Empire.

·  BBE 2:1 ... numbering of all the world.

·  NKJV 2:1 ... all the world

This adds strength to my argument that the word WORLD is ambiguous for translators don't seem to even agree on the meaning of WORLD in just a single verse.  So, how am I suppose to be sure about the meaning of WORLD in the case of 'the flood'.

Well, hopefully I lived in Britain and "WORLD" does not mean planet.  *giggle*

Here is the problem.  Difference Greek words are translated "world" in the N.T.

For example:

In Luke 2:1 the word is οἰκουμένη.

"In those days a decree went out from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be registered."

In Rom. 1:8 the word is κόσμος.

"First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is proclaimed in all the world."

In Matt. 19:28 παλιγγενεσία is translated "new world."

"Jesus said to them, “Truly, I say to you, in the new world, when the Son of Man will sit on his glorious throne, you who have followed me  will also sit on twelve thrones,  judging the twelve tribes of Israel."

In John 18:36 the word is ἐντεῦθεν (the one in bold below).

"Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Origen said:

Here is the problem.  Difference Greek words are translated "world" in the N.T.

@Origen... and my question is:  To what degree is someone that does not know Greek handicapped when trying to understand the English Bible?  (I know the answer is subjective, but could one "ball park' (estimate) it by saying that:  "One would understand 5% of less of the Bible than one who has the advantage of knowing Greek" assuming all other factors to be equal (IQ, amount read, bias)? 

What is the method to make up a portion of the 5%.... commentaries?  (5% is a number I put out there for illustration)

Aside:  I guess we all want the gift of perfect understanding  

15 minutes ago, Fastfredy0 said:

@Origen... and my question is:  To what degree is someone that does not know Greek handicapped when trying to understand the English Bible?  (I know the answer is subjective, but could one "ball park' (estimate) it by saying that:  "One would understand 5% of less of the Bible than one who has the advantage of knowing Greek" assuming all other factors to be equal (IQ, amount read, bias)? 

What is the method to make up a portion of the 5%.... commentaries?  (5% is a number I put out there for illustration)

Aside:  I guess we all want the gift of perfect understanding  

I think it depends on what one is trying to do.  Take for example this discussing you guys are having.  This started when someone brought up 2 Peter 3:5-7.  The word for "world" there is κόσμος.  Then someone threw Luke 2:1 into the mix but the word there is οἰκουμένη.  In order to do a study like this correctly a Greek word study is need.  That means people are going to have to dig deeper.  Like I said it depends on what one is trying to accomplish.

As for general themes, the overall message, salvation and sin, I don't think there is a problem.  Often we are speaking of nuances.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2017 at 2:44 PM, thisnthat said:

May I ask what causes you to think this? I was taught that it was the whole world.

I'm not sure how that lines up with God's promise about never flooding (the "world") again. We do still have devastating floods, but not world wide. He isn't breaking His promise, so... how does that work?

Yeah kind of like God saying"I'll never flood the earth to kill again"..."I hope people understand what I mean".

• Like 1

Well "world wide" flood is ahead in the poll as it should be.

• Like 1

And 0% for the flood not taking place you know this must be a Christian site!

Oh yeah I've been here before I already knew that lol!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Joefizz said:

And 0% for the flood not taking place you know this must be a Christian site!

Oh yeah I've been here before I already knew that lol!

Very true.  And we made no pretense or apologies for it.  We are proud of it.  That is why many new members don't last very long here.

• Like 1
  • Best Answer 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Origen said:

Very true.  And we made no pretense or apologies for it.  We are proud of it.  That is why many new members don't last very long here.

Yeah and pride can be bad if "misplaced" but standing firm on God's word is something to be proud of though we truly give God the "glory" by attesting that his word is "True".

Edited by Joefizz
  • Like 1

The word, "world" is used to mean many different things, and if you want to hold to a view which is a flood of the entire planet, then you must be consistent. Now, apply it to John 2:2. . .

Going to Genesis 6: 7 "So the Lord said,  "I will wipe mankind, whom I have created, from the face of the earth ..... vs 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord."  That sounds pretty specific as to the reason for the flood  and the extent of it.   Wiping out mankind was the intent because of the thoughts and intents of their hearts was only evil all the time."  

• Like 1

The fossils we find are a result of the flood.  The fact that they are found all over the world proves the flood was worldwide.