The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
William

Adam Versus Claims from Genetics

by Vern Poythress | Westminster Theological Journal | 75 (2013): 65-82

One of the biggest problems with the scientific community is that they refuse to acknowledge that all humans have innate biases. So it doesn't matter how scientifically the study is done, there is always a bias. It reminds me of the story about the study of light. One scientist though they were made of photons while another thought it traveled as a wave. They both proved that they were right and simultaneously, light is made of protons that move in waves. But without both of them working simultaneously we would have thought light only worked one way. So people can work to make their hypothesis true without considering other options. So while I believe the scientific method is a great way to figure out how things work, it works best when people realize their own bias and can work around it. Finding Adam and Eve through genetics is always going to be problematic because scientist already have their own bias towards Darwinism and won't consider anything else.

• Like 2

One of the biggest problems with the scientific community is that they refuse to acknowledge that all humans have innate biases. So it doesn't matter how scientifically the study is done, there is always a bias. It reminds me of the story about the study of light. One scientist though they were made of photons while another thought it traveled as a wave. They both proved that they were right and simultaneously, light is made of protons that move in waves. But without both of them working simultaneously we would have thought light only worked one way. So people can work to make their hypothesis true without considering other options. So while I believe the scientific method is a great way to figure out how things work, it works best when people realize their own bias and can work around it. Finding Adam and Eve through genetics is always going to be problematic because scientist already have their own bias towards Darwinism and won't consider anything else.

Couldn't agree more! Romans Chapter 1 covers this. Most everyone approaches evidence with presuppositions, bias, and prejudice. For example, the narration of stick figures (fossils) has brought about quite the different narrations from believers and unbelievers of Darwinianism. They are both staring smack dab at the same evidence, but have quite the different narrations.

I find the same issues with most News publications. It used to be that a person could turn on the News to get the facts of an incident or subject. But now-a-days the facts are colored by the newscaster's narration (leaning or bias). It becomes a full time job deciphering the facts or extracting them from personal or subjective opinion.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

Well the point that was made above is very interesting, and true. When it comes to research, I am confident that there are a lot more of the "find what you want to find" or "find it because you put it there" than we really think that there is. The bias is there no matter what, you are right. Just think about, you spend all this time and effort working towards a theory that you believe, of course you are going to want to prove yourself right, and the actual answer or the greater answer is meaningless to you. If nothing else, it is very interesting to think about. Thanks for sharing.

This is absolutely true and I myself could not agree more with you. The truth must be found. One must be willing to admit fault and start over humbly.....