The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Knotical

Who Really Cares?

Recently there have been rumors flying about whether or not Adele was approached to play during the half-time show at the Super Bowl, and the other reports that are saying she has refused. Historically, this little show has been a kind of up tempo show that keep people's excitement level up while the talking heads of various sports news organizations discuss things we all really don't care about. So, even considering Adele for that venue is not really that great an idea since most of her music does not exactly fit.

I have always of the opinion that they should get Weird Al to do it, but apparently the powers that be at the NFL front office seem to think they know what everyone wants to see, thus the fact that we saw Cold Play at the last one.

• Like 1

See? This is what I am saying. Every half-time show so far has been the same old thing. A bunch of artists "singing" truncated versions of their hits for about 10 minutes and they are done.

And by singing I mean lip synching to their canned version of their songs.

I don't watch football, does that make me a bad person? :eek:

Seriously, my daughter's church, an Assembly of God church cancelled church service Sunday to accommodate a football game. They'd rather watch this garbage (half time show) than go to church and worship God. The half time show from what I read is full of Satanic messages and pro LGBT agendas. Just not something I'd watch. Look at the music awards, and the Satanic shows they produce. I'm not really interested in anyone that performs at those kind of events, or sits there through it just so they can receive an award.

God bless,

William

We started attending our current church in March of 2011, which was a little over a month after the Super Bowl that year. Something we noticed which kind of took me aback was how congregants were criticizing this very thing, not coming to the evening service because they wanted to watch the game. They weren't actually naming any names, but apparently it was a hot topic for them that year, as no one has really mentioned it since.

Yeah, this is probably the only reason I would ever consider suggesting holding worship services on Saturday (the seventh day of the week), but then I know no one in our denomination would ever go for it for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

Yeah, this is probably the only reason I would ever consider suggesting holding worship services on Saturday (the seventh day of the week), but then I know no one in our denomination would ever go for it for obvious reasons.

This was actually what my daughter's church suggested as the reason for moving church service in order to accommodate the Super Bowl. I asked her what she thought about it. I'm sure you're aware, imagine the message received by someone young from the church's actions. She said, they are getting with "the times". I would expect any church that holds to the regulative principle to reject such practices. And, hasn't anyone ever heard of a recording device in order to see a televised event at some other time?

Quite frankly, if it was my church that cancelled service in order to cater to those that want to watch the football game, I'd find another church to attend that Sunday, and it would be a permanent move.

God bless,

William

• Like 2

This was actually what my daughter's church suggested as the reason for moving church service in order to accommodate the Super Bowl. I asked her what she thought about it. I'm sure you're aware, imagine the message received by someone young from the church's actions. She said, they are getting with "the times". I would expect any church that holds to the regulative principle to reject such practices. And, hasn't anyone ever heard of a recording device in order to see a televised event at some other time?

Quite frankly, if it was my church that cancelled service in order to cater to those that want to watch the football game, I'd find another church to attend that Sunday, and it would be a permanent move.

God bless,

William

Absolutely. Any church that is going to do something to "get with the times." has become apostate in my opinion and deserves to be dissolved, or at the very least have the leadership that would allow such a move to be replaced.

• Like 2

Absolutely. Any church that is going to do something to "get with the times." has become apostate in my opinion and deserves to be dissolved, or at the very least have the leadership that would allow such a move to be replaced.

I have to ask, but you put in this sentence and your signature says Presbyterian. The Presbyterian are notorious for "getting with the times" and the PCUSA are the ones that just recently voted to allow openly gay clergy, a decision which lead many Presbyterians to leave the denomination. Just curious on where the difference lies?

As for the football thing, I am a huge football fan. My family has season tickets and during football season, football is pretty much the only thing played on the TV. With that being said, church is still more important than football and I never miss Sunday service or my Thursday night Bible Study. Instead, I DVR the games (or order NFL Rewind) and watch them at other times of the week (Sunday after church for example). I feel that moving church services around football games is an accommodation that leads down a bad road. To me, this is basically saying that the church acknowledges that football is more important than church and are willing to move the times around for those people. Just further proof of how far from God this nation has gone, and how many "Sunday Christians" there are out there.

• Like 2

I have to ask, but you put in this sentence and your signature says Presbyterian. The Presbyterian are notorious for "getting with the times" and the PCUSA are the ones that just recently voted to allow openly gay clergy, a decision which lead many Presbyterians to leave the denomination. Just curious on where the difference lies?

As for the football thing, I am a huge football fan. My family has season tickets and during football season, football is pretty much the only thing played on the TV. With that being said, church is still more important than football and I never miss Sunday service or my Thursday night Bible Study. Instead, I DVR the games (or order NFL Rewind) and watch them at other times of the week (Sunday after church for example). I feel that moving church services around football games is an accommodation that leads down a bad road. To me, this is basically saying that the church acknowledges that football is more important than church and are willing to move the times around for those people. Just further proof of how far from God this nation has gone, and how many "Sunday Christians" there are out there.

Ah, but you assume I am a member of the ultra-liberal denomination PCUSA. This is not the case. I am a member of the OPC (Orthodox Presbyterian Church), which is, by comparison, rather conservative.

• Like 1

The PCUSA has more in common with a book club than a church. The only thing the PCUSA has in common with the Orthodox Presbyterians is its form of church government.

William

The PCUSA has more in common with a book club than a church. The only thing the PCUSA has in common with the Orthodox Presbyterians is its form of church government.

William

Not part of PCUSA answers that question perfectly. It kind of stinks for Presbyterians in general that PCUSA is giving them such a bad name, especially since they seem to be getting the majority of the attention as far as the Presbyterian denomination goes.

So, who else would rather see an artist like Weird Al play the Super Bowl halftime show? Nothing could be worse than what they have done thus far.

I love "Weird Al" myself and would love to see him perform at the Super Bowl. I just went and saw him at the Hollywood Bowl a couple of weeks ago and it was a blast.

Super Bowl has always gone to the performer that will bring in the most views. Since Adele is hot right now, the want to capitalize on making money. I agree that watching Weird Al would be much more interesting. Then again, I kind of like that Adele doesn't perform in underwear and has a beautiful voice, unlike most female performers now in days.

I kind of like that Adele doesn't perform in underwear and has a beautiful voice, unlike most female performers now in days.
I agree with that but she does have a foul mouth.

Weird Al would be a pretty fantastic choice for the Super Bowl halftime show. I don't usually care for the performers. I will sit in to watch the half time show, but normally it's not something I look forward to. If Adele were to perform during halftime, I think a lot more people would tune in to watch. I love Adele and wouldn't mind seeing them feature someone with raw talent. As much as I don't care for football, I'd love to see her perform. :)

I have always of the opinion that they should get Weird Al to do it, but apparently the powers that be at the NFL front office seem to think they know what everyone wants to see, thus the fact that we saw Cold Play at the last one.

I would LOVE Weird Al to do the halftime show. That would be one of the most entertaining halftime events ever :) And/or bring back Cirque Du Soleil and have them do the halftime show this time around!

It would definitely be an interesting half time show if Weird Al performed, this idea is great and I will vote for you for president sir. I think Adele would maybe not fit the exact type of music played at past half time shows but they could also throw in a different act such as a rock performer. In the early 2000s I feel like the half time shows feature two or three artists and now it is a one artist show. I don't know which is better but the multiple artist angle pleases more people I would think.

I'm a big football ball fan, but the halftime show has been a joke for years. It's not even singing anymore, its just a bunch of fireworks, strange people in strange costumes jumping on stage, and lots of loud music. I just turn the channel when it comes on. I remember when Michael Jackson did it, that was a great show. You are right though, this should not be a topic trending -- more important things to worry about.

I agree with that but she does have a foul mouth.

Yeah, but you would have a hard time trying to find any artist anymore that doesn't cuss like a sailor. Most of her songs are pretty clean though, I can't think of one that is really bad. While most of the other top forty artist are usually singing about sex, body parts, cussing, and getting high of drugs. Her music at least has some emotional depth.

Most of her songs are pretty clean though, I can't think of one that is really bad. While most of the other top forty artist are usually singing about sex, body parts, cussing, and getting high of drugs. Her music at least has some emotional depth.
Her music is fine. I see no problem with it.

Well can I just say right off the bat that I absolutely second your call to get Weird Al to do the show. I think I would just a kick out of how many people would complain about it, and then I would just sit back and laugh. You are right, though, who honestly cares about these things enough to lose even a moment of personal thought. I enjoy watching football, but sometimes you just have to think that it is slow news day and the reporters and just grasping for straws. Definitely for Weird Al though...that would be awesome.

lol Weird Al? I looked him up, and that wouldn't be a wise choice. Seems like a comedy act more than a musician. :=P

How would that be any worse than anything that has graced the stage thus far?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How would that be any worse than anything that has graced the stage thus far?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

I think the Tapatalk signature can be removed from your end. It doesn't bother me though, just for FYI. Also in the upcoming weeks a better app in the Apple Store will be available for this site through Tapatalk.

God bless,

William