The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Marie

Yoga

If you are Christian, what are your views on the practice of Yoga?

I have noticed a few Christian churches which are offering yoga. One even to our children. I have read that yoga poses are like different movements of veneration to various Hindu gods. I think there is a Hindu organization that claims religion can not be separated from yoga, because the practice of yoga is religion.

I don't know. I have practiced yoga and feel there is a great physical benefit. But then I have read stories of people feeling their bodies were in some way taken over by the practice, after years of doing it their bodies seemed to go off and do a yoga routine on its own, and when it was over, they were left with a strange feeling that something else had occurred. Who knows what.

Do you think yoga is a safe practice for Christians?

If you are Christian, what are your views on the practice of Yoga?

I have noticed a few Christian churches which are offering yoga. One even to our children. I have read that yoga poses are like different movements of veneration to various Hindu gods. I think there is a Hindu organization that claims religion can not be separated from yoga, because the practice of yoga is religion.

I don't know. I have practiced yoga and feel there is a great physical benefit. But then I have read stories of people feeling their bodies were in some way taken over by the practice, after years of doing it their bodies seemed to go off and do a yoga routine on its own, and when it was over, they were left with a strange feeling that something else had occurred. Who knows what.

Do you think yoga is a safe practice for Christians?

I don't find any problem with it. You don't have to accept Hinduism in order to profit from the exercise. People who run marathons are not celebrating the Greeks victory over the Persians. I go to church on Sunday but I don't worship the Sun.

• Like 2

It is true the practice is rooted in the Hindu world. However, if it is merely doing the exercises and positions, I don't see a problem with it, any more than other techniques of physical fitness. If there was a non-Christian religious or spiritual aspect of a particular class, it should be avoided, but most that is practiced here in the west is simply poses. I know some Christians use the time to meditate on scripture too.

I don't see any issue with you doing Yoga; Yoga is practised worldwide for the heath benefits.

I have been doing Karate for many years and I thought the same thing as you, however now I know that I do it because I like the art and not for the origin or religious ties.

Modern Postural Yoga (MPL) is only about a century old and was heavily influenced by westerners, even though people in India claimed it as a "uniquely Indian" form of exercise. It is not a time-honored Hindu practice and I don't think Christians should worry about accidentally assenting to Hinduism if they practice it.

• Like 1

People who run marathons are not celebrating the Greeks victory over the Persians.

Hilarious!

God bless,

William

Hilarious!

God bless,

William

You are just now seeing that? Way to stay on top of things. lol

• Like 1

You are just now seeing that? Way to stay on top of things. lol

I must admit, this is the first time I read it, but from now on I'm going to keep a closer eye on you!

God bless,

William

I don't find any problem with it. You don't have to accept Hinduism in order to profit from the exercise.

Just curious, should Christians flick gang signs? Do you think that inappropriate? My point is, aren't the bodily positions in Yoga physical expressions of worship? If not, I don't get why people call it Yoga.

God bless,

William

The body positions in yoga are NOT physical expressions of worship. They were invented in the early 20th century by Indian people who were heavily influenced by western exercise systems (which had become popular in India due to the British Empire). They wanted to develop their own, specifically Indian form of physical exercise. That's all. My former yoga teacher has largely stopped teaching any kind of spiritual component to yoga because of this new knowledge.

The body positions in yoga are NOT physical expressions of worship. They were invented in the early 20th century by Indian people who were heavily influenced by western exercise systems (which had become popular in India due to the British Empire). They wanted to develop their own, specifically Indian form of physical exercise. That's all. My former yoga teacher has largely stopped teaching any kind of spiritual component to yoga because of this new knowledge.

If there are no spiritual components to the exercise then why call it Yoga?

Is it wrong for Christians to practice yoga? Religion professor says poses are offerings to Hindu gods

http://www.christianitytoday.com/wom...scernment.html

What is the Christian view of yoga?

I just don't see a problem. Worship requires intent. No one can accidentally worship a deity. The fact it is called yoga really does not matter. People have been standing on their heads, sitting with their legs crossed, trying to control their breathing long before they ever heard the word yoga. Long before Moses wrote the Torah pagans had priests, temples, prophets, alters, made blood sacrifices, and burned incense. It did not stop God from do allowing it.

The Bible is full of words that had\have pagan connotations but those ideas are rejected and the authors used them anyway. The Hebrew word for "sun" is Shamash. It is also the name of a deity who the Hebrews would have been aware. Tiamat (a deity) is the primordial water, the deep. Hebrew uses the word tehom, and both are derived from the same Akkadian root. The fact these were also the names of deities did not stop O.T. authors from using them no matter what the pagans believed.

It is the same thing with this Easter nonsense. There are literally thousand and thousands of pagan gods, goddesses, demigods, and other minor spirits. I doubt there is a day of the year that someone, somewhere, did not devoted to some deity for some reason. I was born in August on a Sunday and I my so-called sign is Leo. You know what that means, nothing. I don't partake in emperor worship, or the worship of the Sun, nor do I accept astrology or care about some sign.

If the argument is, pagans did it or pagans believe this or that, my answer is I don't and I don't care that they did. That is not why I am doing it.

I didn't know about any relationship between Yoga and Hindu gods. Somehow this training does not interest me I haven't done it and do not anticipate participating in it.

Yoga has many health benefits and the foundation of all happiness is health and health is indeed the real wealth. So I don't mind doing it. One of my friend who is also a Christian was having skin issues like cellulite and stretch marks on her thighs started doing yoga and followed a guide fitness which helped her to reduce these skin issues and helped her to stay fit and healthy.

I do yoga occasionally and I don't think it has any effects on your christian faith. Your faith isn't physical therefore anything physical shouldn't interfere. If it's true that you get carried away, just stop the practice but know for sure that it's very odd. Our bodies adapt to what e do everyday and I don't think that's spiritual.

I stand to be corrected.

These arguments which remove any spiritual aspect from Yoga is like calling the religious practice Christian when going to a church building without the bible.

Every Yoga pose has a name, and when you say the name or word do you realize it has meaning?

God bless,

William

These arguments which remove any spiritual aspect from Yoga is like calling the religious practice Christian when going to a church building without the bible.

Every Yoga pose has a name, and when you say the name or word do you realize it has meaning?

God bless,

William

What if I am stretching for a run and\or exercise and I assume one of these poses? Say like this one.

HP_260_03_FNL_450.jpg.97381330a1d3519bec1fd63172fbf663.jpg

• Like 1

What if I am stretching for a run and\or exercise and I assume one of these poses? Say like this one. [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tHP_260_03_FNL_450.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t40.6 KB ID:\t33892","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"33892","data-size":"full","title":"HP_260_03_FNL_450.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

That just makes you gayer than a two dollar bill.

14125052165_a4f689696b_o.jpg.849782c342afc1365ab73ad8aec3d54f.jpg

And these aren't Catholics making a sign of the cross sequentially to the forehead, lower chest or stomach, and both shoulders, accompanied by the Trinitarian formula: at the forehead In the name of the Father (or In nomine Patris in Latin); at the stomach or heart and of the Son (et Filii); across the shoulders and of ...

They're just exercising:

220px-Funeral_of_Patriarch_Alexy_II-9.jpg.c3080ef2fdbe7429f78b3a21a6e268c1.jpg

And this isn't bowing down before an idol. These Hindus don't believe in Mary:

catholics-pray-mary.jpg.2a104bf68b81eaa778f9bf2f799cc374.jpg

Sarcasm.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

That just makes you gayer than a two dollar bill.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t14125052165_a4f689696b_o.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t62.6 KB ID:\t33896","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"33896","data-size":"custom","height":"267","title":"14125052165_a4f689696b_o.jpg","width":"639"}[/ATTACH]

And these aren't Catholics making a sign of the cross sequentially to the forehead, lower chest or stomach, and both shoulders, accompanied by the Trinitarian formula: at the forehead In the name of the Father (or In nomine Patris in Latin); at the stomach or heart and of the Son (et Filii); across the shoulders and of ...

They're just exercising: [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t220px-Funeral_of_Patriarch_Alexy_II-9.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t46.9 KB ID:\t33894","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"33894","data-size":"full","title":"220px-Funeral_of_Patriarch_Alexy_II-9.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

And this isn't bowing down before an idol. These Hindus don't believe in gods: [ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tcatholics-pray-mary.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t184.7 KB ID:\t33895","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"33895","data-size":"custom","height":"323","title":"catholics-pray-mary.jpg","width":"484"}[/ATTACH]

Sarcasm.

God bless,

William

Surely there must be some intent on the part of the worshipper in order to worship. Can a person accidentally or unintentionally worship a deity?
  • Like 1

Surely there must be some intent on the part of the worshipper in order to worship. Can a person accidentally or unintentionally worship a deity?

Ignorance is bliss. Why the other day while walking across the park I yelled out beelzebub.

Free-Shipping-Realistic-Sticky-Shit-Fake-Rubber-font-b-Poop-b-font-font-b-Toy-b.jpg.5a148f8ceffc8063f2a1233170a8501c.jpg

• Exodus 23:13 “Pay attention to all that I have said to you, and make no mention of the names of other gods, nor let it be heard on your lips.

Surely, that does not cover Yoga poses or names! Let's rephrase 23:13, right then, It's okay to ignore or not pay attention for your idol words, and don't worry about it when doing Yoga especially if the culture thinks it way cool in the future.

To each their own fashion boys. If you walk out onto some catwalk with high heel boots and butterfly wings and strike that pose for some glossy Italian magazine don't say I didn't warn you!

In all seriousness.... we know what paganism is. Check out the names of the poses and the meaning.

Walks like a duck and quacks like a duck:

duck-2.jpg.83af6b0fc47235a323b2f563e983936a.jpg

God bless,

William

Would you say that creating the wrong mental image about God or not understanding the Trinity while worshiping Christ as only a man idolatry?

My question is whether someone can be in sin while making an innocent mistake? You know as well as I, and you have seen as well as I, many people that are idolatrous (self) but worship in the name of God. What about Prosperity followers, or Word of Faith etc. And then the Man of Lawlessness, is one excused because they are under a delusion? Surely they can't be held accountable or can they? I mean their heart wasn't in it, but isn't the heart an idol factory?

Just curious, you did raise a good question. Hope you don't mind my humor today.

God bless,

William

William said:

Ignorance is bliss. Why the other day while walking across the park I yelled out beelzebub.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tFree-Shipping-Realistic-Sticky-Shit-Fake-Rubber-font-b-Poop-b-font-font-b-Toy-b.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t80.7 KB ID:\t33899","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"33899","data-size":"medium","title":"Free-Shipping-Realistic-Sticky-Shit-Fake-Rubber-font-b-Poop-b-font-font-b-Toy-b.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

• Exodus 23:13 “Pay attention to all that I have said to you, and make no mention of the names of other gods, nor let it be heard on your lips.

Surely, that does not cover Yoga poses or names! Let's rephrase 23:13, right then, It's okay to ignore or not pay attention for your idol words, and don't worry about it when doing Yoga when the culture thinks it cool way in the future.

To each their own fashion boys. If you walk out onto some catwalk with high heel boots and butterfly wings and strike that pose for some glossy Italian magazine don't say I didn't warn you!

God bless,

William

I do not believe Ex. 23:13 applies. The Israelites had a tendency and history of falling into paganism. They would call on the names of other deities for aid, support, help. In other words, they worshiped them. Simply saying the name of a deity (for example Marduk, Shamash, Zeus) does not mean I am worshipping those deities. It seems to me if that were true when any one even mentions the name of some deity we would have to conclude that person was worshipping that deity.

There is another problem. One word for "god" in the O.T. is "el" (i.e. אֵל). El is the name of a Canaanite deity.

I do not believe Ex. 23:13 applies. The Israelites had a tendency and history of falling into paganism. They would call on the names of other deities for aid, support, help. In other words, they worshiped them. Simply saying the name of a deity (for example Marduk, Shamash, Zeus) does not mean I am worshipping those deities. It seems to me that if that when someone even mentions the name of some deity, then we would have to conclude that person was worshipping that deity.

There is another problem. One word for "god" in the O.T. is "el" (i.e. אֵל). El is the name of a Canaanite deity.

I agree with you and emphasize that tendency. A common theme that runs in the OT is not take upon ourselves the ways of the culture.

All in all, I think Jesus told the Sam. woman at the well that they do worship what they don't know. Lemme think about that for a bit.

• John 4:22 You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews.

Can we worship what we do not know?

But to further reiterate, Yoga isn't like other methods of worship, someone is participating in the style of worship through the physical poses and words which have meaning.

And I was exaggerating .... . but how many times have you accidentally bowed down on a prayer mat when someone said Allah? It's just mind boggling to me, that is, going through the motions and calling upon the names which have meaning but excusing myself from worship because my intent is not there?