The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Army Wife

Depression SUCKS

Does anyone here have depression?

I have depression, Borderline Personality Disorder and PTSD.

I get depressed A LOT.

What do you do for your depression that doesn't have to do with medicine.

Pray a lot. Keep busy. Help others. Focus on God and the hope of what is to come. Play a video game. And, never, never dwell on my problems.

• Like 2

Pray a lot. Keep busy. Help others. Focus on God and the hope of what is to come. Play a video game. And, never, never dwell on my problems.

hats good, its just REALLY hard not to dwell on problems when they just keep coming and more harder. :(

Thats good, its just REALLY hard not to dwell on problems when they just keep coming and more harder. :(

Life is a constant challenge, with one difficulty thrown up after another. We live in a fallen world and that's just the way things are for now. It's really hard now not to dwell on your problems because that has become your habit. Your brain has been rewired for feeling depressed. You can rewire it again, it just takes time. Happiness is being content with what you have... maybe even letting go of a few things and being content with less.

• Like 1

Life is a constant challenge, with one difficulty thrown up after another. We live in a fallen world and that's just the way things are for now. It's really hard now not to dwell on your problems because that has become your habit. Your brain has been rewired for feeling depressed. You can rewire it again, it just takes time. Happiness is being content with what you have... maybe even letting go of a few things and being content with less.

How do I "rewire" my brain to not think that way?

I am a manic-depressant (bi-polar). Don't know which is really worse, the ups (mania) or the downs (depression). I am highly analytical and at times this works against me when my focus is set upon myself. I can think myself detached from the world around me, resulting in myself becoming too self absorbed. I retract in my mind and lose my ability to focus on things. What usually weighs heavy on my mind at times are past experiences or memories of ill things I may have done, said, or thought - almost like flashing back in ptsd. I have learned to quickly confess my sins, anything that I may have done, said, or thought, and then move on. Usually lingering on things that contribute to depression are associated with guilt coming from unconfessed sins, and any second thoughts which brings me to pause, reevaluate, reconsider, and even doubt whether I truly have repented by calling in question the sincerity of my confession. I now tend to refocus myself onto Godly activities, whether reading Scripture or fellow shipping with other believers through Bible Study or church activities, even this forum.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

I think the word depression is over-used these days. I choose not to use it regarding myself. I can reflect back on my life and realize that if I were "truly" honest with a psych counselor, I would probably be diagnosed as PTSD from an abusive childhood, and I would probably be prescribed medication. I agree with Cornelius - the rewiring of the brain. I'm 53 years old, and when I was a child, there were not as many "labels" as there are now. I think labels are currently over-used, and we either allow ourselves to be labeled, or we label ourselves because other people are using the label. I think that's one aspect of "rewiring" our brains and our thought processes - how we individually perceive ourselves, and what we allow ourselves to believe about ourselves.

I firmly believe that there are correct diagnoses of individuals, but our current culture tends to "label" and over-use labels. There is "permission granted" for all manner of behavior and misguided introspection, and there is a general "elusive happiness" in our culture as we compare our own label to someone else's label.

I prefer to refer to myself as moody.

How do I "rewire" my brain to not think that way?

It took you years to get here. Cultivating good habits and thought patterns takes time. There are ways to speed it up, such as with fasting and other forms of productive stress.

I have manic depression, which does include its depressive episodes that can be very severe. Outside of medication, I have found self-awareness of triggers has helped me. Additionally, I have learned (through therapy with a therapist, not a psychologist) to recognize my emotions and control them. I still have depressed feelings, but it has gotten much easier for me to avoid severe depression because of what I have learned through what is called cognitive behavioral therapy.

But really, the drugs (medications, that is) help. Without those, I'd have a much harder time controlling myself.

• Like 1

Insurance companies pay for antidepressants for 1 out of 4 women.

What's your source for that information?

What's your source for that information?

This, or another article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/16/women-and-prescription-drug-use_n_1098023.html

Fun with stats: Americans, 5% of the world's population, take 80% of the world's painkillers.

If you often suffer from depression and on drugs, apart from taking the drugs you should also keep praying to overcome that agent of depression and always study the Bible in times of depression.

• Like 1

Yes.. I know all about depression and personality disorders as well, along with anxiety.. it all sucks & many people miss understand how it impacts on people's very day life..

I still have people in my family who honestly think I am a lazy person, and think I use depression & anxiety as an excuse.

• Like 1

Constantly commune with Jesus about your problems.

Physical exercise can be helpful as well.

• Like 1

Constantly commune with Jesus about your problems.

Physical exercise can be helpful as well.

Just walking has a way of pulling me out from self-absorption. Usually 15 - 30 minutes into the walk my mind clears. It gets crowded up in there some times, and I find a lengthy walk does wonders for my mental health.

Couple that with prayer, and after a length of time during my walk and just talking to God I gain a new perspective on situations. I think God's will, will be done no matter what, but I know it pleases God for me to pray to Him and communicate. I get more out of our conversations than anything else :)

Amos 3:3 “Do two walk together, unless they have agreed to meet?" We walk and walk and walk, but in the end I hope that I'll always agree with God.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

I struggle with depression a lot as well. I go for walks, listen to music, try to keep my mind occupied, as I have a bad habit of living inside my own head.

And prayer, of course.

Exercise releases endorphines that make you feel better though, plus it's just plain good for your body.

My heart goes out to anyone who is struggling with depression. My fiancé has been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. And very sadly our pastor has told us that he won't marry us because of his battle with depression. He said that my fiancé's battle with depression is demonic and that because of it he can't be the spiritual head of the household. We love our pastor and we're heartbroken about his decision. :(

• Like 1

My heart goes out to anyone who is struggling with depression. My fiancé has been diagnosed with depression and anxiety. And very sadly our pastor has told us that he won't marry us because of his battle with depression. He said that my fiancé's battle with depression is demonic and that because of it he can't be the spiritual head of the household. We love our pastor and we're heartbroken about his decision. :(

If this is what your pastor teaches perhaps you should consider changing churches. I know what depression is like because I have experienced it. Suffering from depression might make it harder for someone to serve God but it doesn't mean he isn't a Christian or that he is controlled be a demon. Here are two threads about depression on this forum. Perhaps reading them might help you understand the condition better.

https://www.christforums.org/forum/entertainment-fun/health-fitness/148-what-does-the-bible-say-about-bipolar-disorder-manic-depression

https://www.christforums.org/forum/entertainment-fun/health-fitness/147-making-the-church-a-safe-place-for-mental-illness

I will pray that your fiance will find the help he needs to overcome his problem and that the two of you will have a happy life together as husband and wife.

• Like 1

Depression is one of the most popular silent killers, a lot of people are misinformed and are actually ignorant in this subject, it might seem like it's easy to deal with, but it takes over your life and makes you useless.

• Like 1

I have a friend that claims that he has depression, but I know that what he has is not a depression but also a borderline personality. It is a very tricky thing and I have tried a lot of things to help him out but it just doesn't work.While in a crowd of friends or with his girlfriend, he is great, but the moment he gets alone at home, he does nothing, and spends his time fighting with his girlfriend via Skype or watching YouTube clips. Of course he had an unfortunate series of events that made him the way he is now, but I would like to help him out and I don't know how. The problem is, he has always been manic depressive, but for instance me and my friend never thought that he was ill before, we always knew he was full of energy and jumpy, until he just loses it and sits down, like someone turned him off. I would like to be able to give you some advice but try to stay surrounded with people a lot, and don't think negative. Do some physical exercise, ride a bike or run, that clears a head a lot. I know that you must feel alone but know that you are not.

Depression is one of the most popular silent killers, a lot of people are misinformed and are actually ignorant in this subject, it might seem like it's easy to deal with, but it takes over your life and makes you useless.

There is not a single human being who does not face problems, which means that everyone could succumb to depression. But for Christians it is an issue that needs to be dealt with on a spiritual basis.

Essentially depression is a mental condition which is brought about by focusing our thoughts on (1) ourselves and our problems, (2) depressing events, and (3) the negativity that is being DELIBERATELY broadcast by the media.

So the antidote for depression is to control our thoughts and apply the Scriptures to ourselves. The apostle Paul has already provided an anti-depressant in Philippians 4:4-9 (KJV):

1. FOCUS ON THE LORD AND REJOICE IN HIM

Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.

2. EXERCISE REASONABLENESS, GENTLENESS, AND FAIRNESS

Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

3. STOP WORRYING AND FRETTING, BUT PRAY INSTEAD

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.

4. EXPERIENCE THE PEACE OF GOD AS A RESULT

And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

5. FOCUS ONLY ON THAT WHICH IS POSITIVE

Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things arelovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there beany praise, think on these things.

6. FOLLOW PAUL'S EXAMPLE

Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

If one is not careful it's somewhat easy for some people to sink into a state of depression. it's best not to mope around feeling sorry for yourself when things are not going your way. You just got to realize that just being down in the dumps will not help the situation. It's better to talk to God about your problem. and be active as much as you can to eliminate the stress, just try to take things as it might come.