The Protestant Community

Christian and Theologically Protestant? Or, sincerely inquiring about the Protestant faith? Welcome to Christforums the Christian Protestant community. You'll first need to register in order to join our community. Create or respond to threads on your favorite topics and subjects. Registration takes less than a minute, it's simple, fast, and free! Enjoy the fellowship! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Fenced Community

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy.
Register now

Christforums

.... an orthodox (true and correct when contrasted with Liberal theology) Protestant forum whose members espouse the Apostolic doctrines in the Biblical theologies set forth by Augustine, Martin Luther, Ulrich Zwingli, John Calvin and John Knox etc. We do not "argue" with nor do we solicit the membership of people who espouse secular or cultic ideologies. We believe that our conversations are to be faith building and posts that advance heretical or apostate thinking will be immediately deleted and the poster permanently banned from the forum. This is a Christian Protestant community for people to explore the traditional theologies of Classical Protestantism.

Christian Fellowship

John Calvin puts forward a very simple reason why love is the greatest gift: “Because faith and hope are our own: love is diffused among others.” In other words, faith and hope benefit the possessor, but love always benefits another. In John 13:34–35 Jesus says, “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” Love always requires an “other” as an object; love cannot remain within itself, and that is part of what makes love the greatest gift.
Sign in to follow this  
Jennifer

What's your hobby?

I am interested in collecting beautiful pictures. Recently I have collected some beautiful pictures, I'd like to share them with you.

Edited by Jennifer

Hi Jennifer,

Awesome pictures! Are you into photography too?

My main hobby is this Christian website. I tried photography and a little Photoshop work. Here's some of the pictures I have taken from here or there with a Canon EOS 40D:

I like these pictures. They are special. When I see the beautiful scenery, I'll take a photograph.

• Like 1

Hi Jennifer - I enjoy taking pictures too. I just use my iPhone most of the time, so the quality of the photo is limited of course.I enjoy hiking so I have a lot of pretty pictures. I'm having user error issues right now, but I'll share some with you soon!

Sunset pictures are some of my favorites - God's beautiful painting of the sky, an unlimited canvas!

• Like 1

My hobby is learning languages. My Pentecostal background (tongues) sparked the interest. My interest grew with wanting to better know the Bible (Greek and Hebrew). Then, I found I really enjoyed it. Sorry, no pretty pictures to show.

I would love to photography but I don't have a good camera.

I LOVE to color. (Yes I'm an adult and LOVE to color) :p

I LOVE to color. (Yes I'm an adult and LOVE to color) :p

Coloring isn't like finger painting.

Coloring isn't like finger painting.

I didn't say it was. Even tho finger painting is fun. Haven't done that in years. :p

I would love to photography but I don't have a good camera.

Hi Army Wife - I took a photography class 'way back' in Junior High School, probably before you were born! While I was in high school, a new type of camera was marketed - a "disk" camera. Don't let the name misguide you; this was way before electronic compact discs. This little camera took pictures and produced negatives on a disk, a circle of negative frames. Have you ever heard of a 110 camera? I think the disk negatives were about that size, or maybe smaller. It was a cheap camera, and produced grainy prints. Those are the family and friend pictures I have from my teen years.

Eventually I graduated to a 35mm camera. Pixels were still unknown to common folk! These were the days that every snap of a camera produced a negative, and the only way to see the picture was by developing the entire roll of film. So my children's childhoods are documented by pictures in photo albums, photos that have been cut by scissors in all sorts of sizes and shapes.

The next step of course was digital camera, and the pixels have increased incredibly for clear pictures even by a "camera" within a phone!

So I've rambled, and it's been fun in this post, to share my photography hobby. I just want to encourage you that any picture of a memory is better than no picture. More than photography, I enjoy the hands-on approach to manipulating my photos into pages of scrapbooks. I enjoy the tactile nature of feeling the photo, reminiscing the emotions behind the photo, and providing that photo with color and style to enhance it.

• Like 1

My passion is writing and talking about various subjects beyond surface conversation. My hobbies include the occasional game, from video games to tabletop games like chess. I also like watching TV shows and analyzing their story lines and characters. My mind is constantly moving, so it's difficult for me to take a light interest in my interests. I'm either not interested at all, or my interest is "turned up to eleven."

• Like 1

Today I saw some pictures of butterfly on Web.How beautiful! So I'd like to share these pictures with everyone.

• Like 1

I enjoy guns and shooting. It is relaxing. The stronger the concussion of that rifle....the more relaxing it is. A great remedy for stress.

Ship Alone

• Like 2

I enjoy guns and shooting. It is relaxing. The stronger the concussion of that rifle....the more relaxing it is. A great remedy for stress.

Ship Alone

Do you have a personal arsenal you care to share in public? My last rifle was a .308 Norma Mag. Haven't shot a rifle or pistol since, it has been about 8 years now.

Do you have a personal arsenal you care to share in public? My last rifle was a .308 Norma Mag. Haven't shot a rifle or pistol since, it has been about 8 years now.

I have a couple. I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot where I live. I would encourage anyone to take it up.

Ship Alone

My main hobby is this Christian website. I tried photography and a little Photoshop work. Here's some of the pictures I have taken from here or there with a Canon EOS 40D:

I made my own Christian website. I spent about a year building it. I didn't have a lot of problems getting hits and I advertised on a top christian website list.

Being a website owner is a thankless job in my opinion.

It pained me to take it down because since it was a free board, there was intrusive advertising (not my choice) and there wasn't a lot of activity or users. I believed that I would have had to do some paid advertising to let people know about my Christian message board. I know some website owners who spent six years getting new users so I have to give a lot of credit to those who can make it work.

My hobby is computers and electronics. I have been studying microcontrollers for several years now and I'm at a loss of doing much even though I have a couple of skills. Microcontrollers involves wiring, soldering, building, drafting, engineering, programming and a lot of reading because some of the datasheets are at least 300 pages long for a part. There are other skills like part finding, 3D Printing, programmable logic like FPGAs, etc. The down side to this hobby is that everyone has a junk box full of parts they don't use. It costs a lot of money but it doesn't have to and it takes a long time to do anything unless you happen to go to school for it or be in the right place to learn. The other downside is people tell you to read the manual instead of teach. There are sites that teach how to build stuff and they say they will teach you but it is only to build one of their projects they are selling. If you have the skills, you might pick up something to learn. The upside is that it is probably the cheapest way to get into engineering because you can do it for about $1,000 or so.

I have an old catalog of electronic parts and it is thicker than the phone book. I hold onto it because electronic sellers don't want to print them much anymore because catalogs are now electronic.

If you want to get into this hobby, you probably need to know:

C language

How to solder

Own a soldering iron and tools like wire cutters, pliers, tweezers, etc. You need a good set of eyes because this hobby becomes hard when you need glasses and you are at an older age.

You might need an oscilloscope unless you are using something basic like an Arduino.

You need a multimeter.

You would need a program like Eagle, Diptrace, etc., to make your own circuit board.

You need to be able to read a schematic and resistor codes.

You need to know what parts you need and to be able to order them or have them on hand.

You need to be able to know how to read a datasheet.

Some of the harder disciplines involve surface mount soldering, oscilloscopes, and high speed digital circuits.

There are a lot of disciplines involved so you need to know programming, electronics and engineering because the hobby is multi-disciplined. You need to be able to do a little bit of building and have a lot of patience because I soldered probably about a 100 Leds on a board one time and it took a lot of patience and a couple special tools. It literally took hours to make something simple on a small circuit board.

Imagine if you will, a multi level shopping mall in other countries where all you can buy is small electronic parts. Our kids learn Xbox and Playstation while the other parts of the world are learning how to make stuff. They are learning how to be producers while our kids are learning how to be consumers and it is the sad part about being in this culture.

I watch football and baseball with my wife.

• Like 1

I made my own Christian website. I spent about a year building it. I didn't have a lot of problems getting hits and I advertised on a top christian website list.

Being a website owner is a thankless job in my opinion.

It pained me to take it down because since it was a free board, there was intrusive advertising (not my choice) and there wasn't a lot of activity or users. I believed that I would have had to do some paid advertising to let people know about my Christian message board. I know some website owners who spent six years getting new users so I have to give a lot of credit to those who can make it work.

Web development has been rather challenging, but it is fulfilling. I learn something everyday. This website is actually version #3. The site began under a different domain: religiousverse.com. It was a poetry site containing over 5000 poems by the most famous poets. Later, I added a forum which centralized on apologetics. Version #2, the site's forum was completely redone, opening the forum to reformed theology. The domain changed to: reformedchristianity.org. This site is version #3 and as you can see its current status.

I have learned the hard way about outsourcing work. And the worst investment has been Search Engine Optimization (SEO) companies. Despite the tremendous financial drain, these companies have failed to live to up to expectation and promises.

I just implemented web advertisement in hopes of covering some of the monthly reoccurring costs of the server. We really haven't enough traffic to generate worthwhile revenue at this point, but it is cents a day adding up.

God bless,

William

William, those are some really good pictures, Ill give you all some of mine before long.

My hobby is learning languages. My Pentecostal background (tongues) sparked the interest. My interest grew with wanting to better know the Bible (Greek and Hebrew). Then, I found I really enjoyed it. Sorry, no pretty pictures to show.

Cornelius, that is just cool man.

I too tried the website thing before, it wasn't my bag, I enjoyed being a moderator on several forums but being the sole maintainer was a pain to me because it was always something going wrong.

I am pretty much a jack of all trades and a master of none lol, but my hobby (when I have time) is restoring classics, I am working on my 82 El Camino atm before starting on my 79 t-top Monte Carlo, its an expensive hobby but well worth it.

• Like 1

Sunset pictures are some of my favorites - God's beautiful painting of the sky, an unlimited canvas!

Hi Trysch.I also like sunset pictures. Several days ago, I took some sunset pictures. How special God's painting of the sky.

My hobby is technology. Mainly computers. I would like to do some other hobbies but where I live there are no chances for those.

My biggest hobby is spending time with my family. I know it might seem like it isn't a hobby, but I don't have a clue to what else I would be doing without my wife and kids. I love spending time with them.

• Like 3

Recently, my friend has taken a photograph of birds in the zoo. I'd like to share these pictures with you.

I really like to hike or just take a walk in the nature.

I enjoy places with hills and mountains, mostly. I share a few photos from my recent trip.