The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Is trying to look attractive for your spouse considered vanity?

Vanity is considered to be a sin. I want to know if trying to look pretty is considered vanity? I mean many women give their best to stay beautiful by dieting and excising so they will look attractive to their spouses. There are also men who who does the same by going to the gym and taking protein powder. I know inner beauty is considered to be better but trying to look good makes us feel good and confident. Also trying to look attractive sometimes enhances marriages.

• Like 1

Vanity is considered to be a sin. I want to know if trying to look pretty is considered vanity? I mean many women give their best to stay beautiful by dieting and excising so they will look attractive to their spouses. There are also men who who does the same by going to the gym and taking protein powder. I know inner beauty is considered to be better but trying to look good makes us feel good and confident. Also trying to look attractive sometimes enhances marriages.

What you listed is not vanity.

As far as apparel, what is most important is that a man or woman doesn't let his/her outer beauty compete with inner beauty.

• 1 Peter 3:3–5 3 Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— 4 but let your adorning be pthe hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious. 5 For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands,

While there's nothing wrong with taking care of our appearances, spending too much time or money on it shows there is a priority problem.

• 1 Timothy 2:9–10 9 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.

Today it is fashionable to cover ourselves with tattoos. Both men and women do so. It is like too much makeup but irremovable. Tattoos, piercings, expensive jewelry, and clothing are the result of a problem and not the problem itself.

God bless,

William

• Like 1

That's a very different view than I have. But I guess there is no right or wrong when it comes to interpreting some of these things. From what I have experienced, I love to look good. I feel good inside when I look good outside, and I also love how people respond to me when I am well dressed and made up. Say what you will, but as a woman, if you've been out of your house dressed in old clothes and with no make up on, and you had a problem and needed help from a stranger, you know the chances of them stopping to help you are slim compared to if you were well dressed. You all know this to be true.

We're talking about wanting to look attractive for your spouse - - by all means, yes. Why Not? When you're out in the public -- shopping or whatever -- chances are you're going to be cleaned-up -- not looking like a slob. I don't wear make-up except for a bit of mellow lipstick. And lots of times, not even that. As for the make-up, I have two daughters and I tried to assure them that they look just fine Without make-up. Good nutricious food and soap and water works pretty well. Avoid greasy foods.

And trying to be in good physical health Does help a marriage. Over the years and having kids Does things to us -- we get sloppy -- so every so often is doesn't hurt to take inventory.

Nothing wrong with wanting to look attractive.

• Like 1

Staying need and clean and as fit as reasonable is good. A far as makeup - your spouse already know what you look like so why you putting it on... The only person who use makeup in scripture is Jezabel and I'm sure nobody wants to identify with her.

For a woman to wear makeup is fine. The passages some cite against this engage in guilt by association.

Job 42:14 He named the first Jemimah, and the second Keziah, and the third Keren-happuch. (NASB)

The name of last daughter of Job mentioned in the above passage means "horn of paint."

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang...s=H7163&t=NASB

1. Karl Keil and Franz Delitzsch: the third was altogether the most beautiful, possessing a beauty heightened by artificial means.

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/kdo/job-42.html

2. Daniel Whedon: (Septuagint, Amalthaea’s horn,) is literally a horn of paint — boxes of pigment in those days being, as is supposed, sometimes made of horn, or in the shape of a horn. Oriental ladies from very ancient times have painted their eyes, in order to produce an apparent enlargement of the eye, and to promote its brilliancy.

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/whe/job-42.html

I do wonder though about people who get plastic surgery - particularly those who do numerous times.

Face lifts, tummy tucks and breast enlargements.

For a woman to wear makeup is fine. The passages some cite against this engage in guilt by association.

Job 42:14 He named the first Jemimah, and the second Keziah, and the third Keren-happuch. (NASB)

The name of last daughter of Job mentioned in the above passage means "horn of paint."

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang...s=H7163&t=NASB

1. Karl Keil and Franz Delitzsch: the third was altogether the most beautiful, possessing a beauty heightened by artificial means.

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/kdo/job-42.html

2. Daniel Whedon: (Septuagint, Amalthaea’s horn,) is literally a horn of paint — boxes of pigment in those days being, as is supposed, sometimes made of horn, or in the shape of a horn. Oriental ladies from very ancient times have painted their eyes, in order to produce an apparent enlargement of the eye, and to promote its brilliancy.

https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/whe/job-42.html

I do wonder though about people who get plastic surgery - particularly those who do numerous times.

Face lifts, tummy tucks and breast enlargements.

Mostly I agree with you, but , from a womanly perspective, and having had 4 children. Now in my 60's a tummy tuck would be a nice improvement as well as a tiny bit of jowel-drop improvement. Women who've lost 20 - 30 pds end up with saggy skin. Some can afford to get those adjustments -- some of us won't. Some of us simply accept the fact that our bodies Do age and we're not 30 any more.

You've got a good point though, sometimes plastic / cosmetic surgeries are an attempt to 'find' the fountain of youth. Sometimes we simply Don't want to look our age.

• Like 1

You can put lipstick on a pig but it will still roll around in it's own poo poo. A good reason not to put much thought into what people think about what you look like, they think that pig is good just because it has lipstick on.

All the junk on TV and in magazines makes people think women are supposed to look flawless, no dark circles round their eyes, no freckles, it's all fake, it's a lie! All those things are normal! The media brainwashes people so much nonsense, they have the multitudes chasing after a life that's almost impossible to achieve and even when they do they find its worthless, life comes to an end and all that hard work was for nothing, a life wasted.

There's nothing wrong with looking like you care, but don't make it priority. And don't put too much thought into what strangers think about how you look, because if that's how they base a persons value then what they think isn't worth a squid.

Please don't think I mean to be rude, I just care about my family in Christ and want them to be confident, even if they're wearing rags and have no teeth, and yes, I know what it's like to be in that boat.

You can put lipstick on a pig but it will still roll around in it's own poo poo. A good reason not to put much thought into what people think about what you look like, they think that pig is good just because it has lipstick on.

All the junk on TV and in magazines makes people think women are supposed to look flawless, no dark circles round their eyes, no freckles, it's all fake, it's a lie! All those things are normal! The media brainwashes people so much nonsense, they have the multitudes chasing after a life that's almost impossible to achieve and even when they do they find its worthless, life comes to an end and all that hard work was for nothing, a life wasted.

There's nothing wrong with looking like you care, but don't make it priority. And don't put too much thought into what strangers think about how you look, because if that's how they base a persons value then what they think isn't worth a squid.

Please don't think I mean to be rude, I just care about my family in Christ and want them to be confident, even if they're wearing rags and have no teeth, and yes, I know what it's like to be in that boat.

Maybe we Should put more thought into how strangers view us. Under normal circumstances first impressions Are important.

If I've been in a car wreck or some natural disaster --I'm probably not going to look my best. My disposition will likely be noticed first.

• Like 1

Maybe we Should put more thought into how strangers view us. Under normal circumstances first impressions Are important.

If I've been in a car wreck or some natural disaster --I'm probably not going to look my best. My disposition will likely be noticed first.

When I talk to people those things haven't really made too much of a differance, now if I was walking around in my PJ's I wouldn't expect people to respect me much.

Now I'm not trying to be mean, but if I'm dirt poor and ugly should I be judged by that? No way. That would be unrighteous judgement. Let's think about how Jesus looked, he didn't have fancy clothes like the kings, yet people came out to the desert to hear him teach.

What is the first impression we want to give? For me, I would like people to see me as humble and to see that I'm not worried if people find me ugly or if people look down on me because the jeans I wear have holes in the knees or an old paint stain, that's all I have to wear and I'm fine with that. If someone wants nothing to do with me then they can go on their way while I find people who don't waste my time.

The point I'm trying to get across is it's OK to ugly, it's OK to be old, and it's OK to be lower class, or all of the above. I walk with Christ who shows me that what I'm missing out on comes and go so fast and has so little significance that it's not worth the space in my head to worry.

I'm not trying to judge or make anyone feel guilty, but let's not think like ​​​​​they think because we live for God's future, not rat race humanism.

When I talk to people those things haven't really made too much of a differance, now if I was walking around in my PJ's I wouldn't expect people to respect me much.

Now I'm not trying to be mean, but if I'm dirt poor and ugly should I be judged by that? No way. That would be unrighteous judgement. Let's think about how Jesus looked, he didn't have fancy clothes like the kings, yet people came out to the desert to hear him teach.

What is the first impression we want to give? For me, I would like people to see me as humble and to see that I'm not worried if people find me ugly or if people look down on me because the jeans I wear have holes in the knees or an old paint stain, that's all I have to wear and I'm fine with that. If someone wants nothing to do with me then they can go on their way while I find people who don't waste my time.

The point I'm trying to get across is it's OK to ugly, it's OK to be old, and it's OK to be lower class, or all of the above. I walk with Christ who shows me that what I'm missing out on comes and go so fast and has so little significance that it's not worth the space in my head to worry.

I'm not trying to judge or make anyone feel guilty, but let's not think like ​​​​​they think because we live for God's future, not rat race humanism.

The original comment was about looking nice for our spouse -- cosmetics and such. Personally I don't use make-up except a little lip-stick and lip gloss. My mother used to use some powder and lipstick. I tried powder and it made my face feel dirty. I raised my two daughters with the concept that they look just fine the way they are. Some of their friends Did use make-up and they wanted to be like them, that's why I was serious about appreciating their natural looks -- they were just fine Without expensive make-up.

People who are dirt poor and ugly can still be as clean as possible -- and really -- a person can go to Good Will or Salvation Army or Thrift stores and get perfectly good clothes without holes in them.

Jesus mingled with the common folk -- He looked just like them. Besides -- the garb of those days was pretty much the same for everyone.

My husband grew up in a dirt poor environment -- one of nine kids raised by his mother -- would not take well-fare -- worked split shift. His mom made sure they had clean clothes and no holes in them. They grew up in a renovated one-room school house with outdoor plumbing for years. We're in our late 60's now.

• Like 1

The original comment was about looking nice for our spouse -- cosmetics and such. Personally I don't use make-up except a little lip-stick and lip gloss. My mother used to use some powder and lipstick. I tried powder and it made my face feel dirty. I raised my two daughters with the concept that they look just fine the way they are. Some of their friends Did use make-up and they wanted to be like them, that's why I was serious about appreciating their natural looks -- they were just fine Without expensive make-up.

People who are dirt poor and ugly can still be as clean as possible -- and really -- a person can go to Good Will or Salvation Army or Thrift stores and get perfectly good clothes without holes in them.

Jesus mingled with the common folk -- He looked just like them. Besides -- the garb of those days was pretty much the same for everyone.

My husband grew up in a dirt poor environment -- one of nine kids raised by his mother -- would not take well-fare -- worked split shift. His mom made sure they had clean clothes and no holes in them. They grew up in a renovated one-room school house with outdoor plumbing for years. We're in our late 60's now.

The topic shifted from looking for a spouse to looking good and everyone thinks about us.

​​​​

There's circumstances where getting clothes from Good Will or The Salvation is hard to do, especially in rural areas.

For a lot of people there's no split shift to work. For some they ethier take well fair or food stamps or beg their neibors for food.

In states like Mississippi we have who live in shacks out in the wood or way out on a dirt road miles away from anything, without a car they can't really go anywhere to look for a job even if there were jobs to look for.

There are Always circumstances to deal with. We're simply as neat and clean and hard-working as possible.

• Like 1

I can only speak for our marriage. From the first time I first saw my future bride, she was a beautiful blue eyed blond, and a smaller than most women, but slightly a tad larger that the smaller women in other words PERFECT! My wife was a cosmetologists, and she was not a natural blond. Only once in our marriage about six years after we were married she want back to her natural hair color. I just preferred her as a blond. We just celebrated our 48th year of marriage and she is still a blond that is right for her age 67. We had four children and yes we struggled. Never did we go without food,or the basics of life. I did work two jobs, often I had to be a "jack of all trades". My wife worked baby sitting in our home too. Being in ministry people expect their pastor and his wife and family to look presentable, especially when in leadership in not only the church but the community as well. My wife has worn lipstick and eye make up and colored her hair in conservative taste.

This is one area that we should make a blanket statement nor find fault with if a Christian woman makes the choice not to or to use makeup in good taste. Tammy Faye, and Jan Crouch were examples of women who who did not own a mirror and their husbands were blind.

juatme

• Like 1

I can only speak for our marriage. From the first time I first saw my future bride, she was a beautiful blue eyed blond, and a smaller than most women, but slightly a tad larger that the smaller women in other words PERFECT! My wife was a cosmetologists, and she was not a natural blond. Only once in our marriage about six years after we were married she want back to her natural hair color. I just preferred her as a blond. We just celebrated our 48th year of marriage and she is still a blond that is right for her age 67. We had four children and yes we struggled. Never did we go without food,or the basics of life. I did work two jobs, often I had to be a "jack of all trades". My wife worked baby sitting in our home too. Being in ministry people expect their pastor and his wife and family to look presentable, especially when in leadership in not only the church but the community as well. My wife has worn lipstick and eye make up and colored her hair in conservative taste.

This is one area that we should make a blanket statement nor find fault with if a Christian woman makes the choice not to or to use makeup in good taste. Tammy Faye, and Jan Crouch were examples of women who who did not own a mirror and their husbands were blind.

juatme

Good post -- not familiar with Jan Crouch -- but Tammy Faye -- LOL -- exactly right.

juatme

Jan Crouch looks ridiculous. Her hair runs the show.

Good post -- not familiar with Jan Crouch -- but Tammy Faye -- LOL -- exactly right.

Pual and Jan crouch are the founders of TBN, a charismatic TV chanel. Here's a pic.

jan-crouch-696x371.png.220ae6ef16855a0a80d8a0a785c39786.png

Jan Crouch and her husband owned a WOF bunch of TV stations, they hosted most of the evening programs. She was worse than Tammy Faye. The Crouch's actually did not live together although they put on a good act. They both died within a few years ago. The Granddaughter has come out with some shocking information recently. Paul Crouch was a homosexual and had a house of his own, Jan had a house of her own and had "lovers" the marriage was for TV and both were immoral and were only in it for the $. The both had multi million dollar houses and lived like money had no end. This was a total farce of a christian couple. Word of faith leaders live off the sacrifice of people who honestly believe the lies of thse people led by Satan and his demons.

This is my pet peeve, as I have seen the results of people with ship wrecked faith,

justme

• Like 1

Jan Crouch and her husband owned a WOF bunch of TV stations, they hosted most of the evening programs. She was worse than Tammy Faye. The Crouch's actually did not live together although they put on a good act. They both died within a few years ago. The Granddaughter has come out with some shocking information recently. Paul Crouch was a homosexual and had a house of his own, Jan had a house of her own and had "lovers" the marriage was for TV and both were immoral and were only in it for the $. The both had multi million dollar houses and lived like money had no end. This was a total farce of a christian couple. Word of faith leaders live off the sacrifice of people who honestly believe the lies of thse people led by Satan and his demons.

This is my pet peeve, as I have seen the results of people with ship wrecked faith,

justme

It's all very sad. They give real Christianity a very bad name.

• Like 1

I would say trying to look pretty is a sin yes.. Certainly a platform for vanity,

why wouldn't trying to look like something other than yourself be considered sinful? The same rules apply to tattoos & piercings in my opinion and most certainly any cosmetics.

I would consider it trying to look like idols in some cases and narcissism in others.. Either way you want to look like someone/something other than yourself how the creator made you & I consider this wrong.

all cosmetics should be banned, made illegal but that would never happen due to the financial gain of these products.. I strong believe women should be shunned by the church for even wearing lipstick.

I would say trying to look pretty is a sin yes.. Certainly a platform for vanity,

why wouldn't trying to look like something other than yourself be considered sinful? The same rules apply to tattoos & piercings in my opinion and most certainly any cosmetics.

I would consider it trying to look like idols in some cases and narcissism in others.. Either way you want to look like someone/something other than yourself how the creator made you & I consider this wrong.

all cosmetics should be banned, made illegal but that would never happen due to the financial gain of these products.. I strong believe women should be shunned by the church for even wearing lipstick.

WoW -- you're pretty strongly Negative -- almost Pharisaical in nature.

A question -- does your church use a piano and/ or an organ for congregational singing? Your bio info says you're from England. All I'm familiar with are churches in the U.S. A. Most every church I've ever been in has at least an old piano. At some point I was given the history of the piano. It was First an instrument in a honkie-tonk setting. Ever so gradually it was introduced into the church setting. People thought it was Horrible -- a 'piano' of all things inside a Church building. Now -- some of the most Beautiful music is piano / organ.

Someone who wants to look Different than their real selves does have a problem of some kind. That Might be the result of early childhood upbringing. Some women have natural coloring that makes it appear that they Do wear make-up and others are very 'plain-Janes'. But to actually shun young women / Older women from / by the/ church for simply wearing lipstick -- wow -- there's a Huge difference between a 'Tammy Faye' and a touch of lipstick.

How many industries do Christians use that are big in financial gains / cars/ guns/ knives. The uses for all three of those products. Just saying.

WoW -- you're pretty strongly Negative -- almost Pharisaical in nature.

A question -- does your church use a piano and/ or an organ for congregational singing? Your bio info says you're from England. All I'm familiar with are churches in the U.S. A. Most every church I've ever been in has at least an old piano. At some point I was given the history of the piano. It was First an instrument in a honkie-tonk setting. Ever so gradually it was introduced into the church setting. People thought it was Horrible -- a 'piano' of all things inside a Church building. Now -- some of the most Beautiful music is piano / organ.

Someone who wants to look Different than their real selves does have a problem of some kind. That Might be the result of early childhood upbringing. Some women have natural coloring that makes it appear that they Do wear make-up and others are very 'plain-Janes'. But to actually shun young women / Older women from / by the/ church for simply wearing lipstick -- wow -- there's a Huge difference between a 'Tammy Faye' and a touch of lipstick.

How many industries do Christians use that are big in financial gains / cars/ guns/ knives. The uses for all three of those products. Just saying.

But there isn't any scriptural basis that pianos are to be kept away from.. Right? That is hardly a counter argument.

We could say the same about Christmas trees being put up in church.. But again it's not commented on in scripture so we should move on to what is...

If we are to be instructed to be doing something in life by god we should do so... If we are instructed to not be doing such things we shouldn't do so.. As the scriptures say we are either with god or against him.. Why should a Christian pick & choose what he wants to be doing in life, if someone isn't in an agreeable mood for cripture then he should find another religion.

But there isn't any scriptural basis that pianos are to be kept away from.. Right? That is hardly a counter argument.

We could say the same about Christmas trees being put up in church.. But again it's not commented on in scripture so we should move on to what is...

If we are to be instructed to be doing something in life by god we should do so... If we are instructed to not be doing such things we shouldn't do so.. As the scriptures say we are either with god or against him.. Why should a Christian pick & choose what he wants to be doing in life, if someone isn't in an agreeable mood for cripture then he should find another religion.

It's in the realm of Christian liberty.

There Are certain instruments named in the Bible --flutes, harps, etc. are we to limit our churches to only those instruments only?

And celebrating Christmas and Easter aren't mentioned in Scripture, either. And celebrating birthdays and anniversaries -- Father's / Mother's Day -- are we to Not celebrate those times, either?

How often is a person to go to church or read their Bible to be a 'spiritual' Christian.

In Scripture -- one of the principles that can be applied -- in word or deed -- do all to the glory of God. Scripturally we Can do anything we want -- but is it profitable for me to do 'whatever' -- is it strengthening me / those around me spiritually. I Could decide to not wear one speck of make-up to church and be grumbling about it the entire time. And, this would be an extreme example -- but has happened. A person experiences an accident that leaves them with ugly scars on their face. They don't want to be seen in public because of how they look. But well-applied make-up Can be applied to cover those scars and the person Then has the inner self-confidence to be seen in public --go to church and worship with other believers. And sure -- most of the congregation would be thrilled to have him/ her back in the church service no matter How bad they looked. But that doesn't matter at times -- the person, themselves wants to feel good about their appearance.

We can be the most Godly person inwardly and Still want to look nicer - maybe even with a touch of make-up on --and I'm speaking as a person who often times forgets to put on lipstick. For years I've never used a drop of any kind of make-up -- because it Is expensive. I've encouraged my two daughters that they look just fine the way they are. And that was at the time that their girlfriends were starting to experiment with lip stick and powder and eye liner. At one point - my younger daughter --married to a wonder Christian Godly man wanted to try earning some money -- lots of women sell tuperware and / or Avon. So we sat down with her lip stick samples and found a great shade for myself. Worked with skin tones --it was a great shade for me. Up until that time I'd only worn lip gloss. I'd also started singing in our church choir. I'd noticed how pale I looked in the mirror at home. So I started using just a bit of lip stick. I felt better because I saw that just a touch Did help me look just a tad more 'here'.

If spouses meet each other as performers and want to continue looking like performers and want to continue dressing for their spouse in Great -- if people meet in their grubbies and are content to continue in their grubbies -- their cultural setting is that of grubbiness -- they're okay with that then Great.

So --in the process of doing these things -- are we really Against God? or simply showing some of our uniqueness as Godly women / men.

• Like 1

So --in the process of doing these things -- are we really Against God? or simply showing some of our uniqueness as Godly women / men.

I believe it is going against god to be wanting to change your appearance... it's shoving two fingers up at god saying you don't like the way he made you..

It could also be seen as sexually provocative.. I dont see how a woman wearing make up is any different sin wise than selling lingerie

Plastic surgery can be used for people who have had bad accidents, there is a sexually proud element to cosmetics that I believe should be refrained from.

christmas can be seen as pagan so can other days like Mothers/Father's Day which only have financial gain in common it's irrelevant to Christianity.

I find it interesting that single people give advice to married Christians. Perhaps that may be different when that changes.

justme

• Like 1