The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Faber

Both Peter (Galatians 2:13) and John (Revelation 19:10) sinned

For those who believe that a Christian never sins please explain how both Peter and Barnabas (Galatians 2:13) as well as John (Revelation 19:10) sinned.

Galatians 2:13

The rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy. (NASB)

Revelation 19:10

Then I fell at his feet to worship him. But he said to me, “Do not do that; I am a fellow servant of yours and your brethren who hold the testimony of Jesus; worship God. For the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.” (NASB)

Are there Christians here @ CF who believe that they never sin?

Apparently I don't.

I thought I did, but my misunderstanding has been clarified by my Lutheran brothers.

It seems that when my atheist parents had me sprinkled in a Lutheran church at a few weeks old, I was baptized into the Grace.

So none of my sins counted.

Don't you wish your parents had planned ahead. ;)

(Hey, this is a joke ... except the part about being baptized Lutheran by Atheist parents ... that's true.)

• Haha 1

Were your parents hedging their bet in your case?

It's worse than that. We attended THE church. You know, in every town there is one church where all the corporate up and comers go to be seen. So we moved every two years as my father clawed his way up the corporate ladder over people he shafted. In each new town we were regular attenders in THE church ... Christmas and Easter. The year and town I was born in, THE church was Lutheran.

In retrospect, what man meant for evil, God meant for good may apply. It was literally a "hell" of a journey, but God eventually cornered me and claimed me for his own. So perhaps God WAS marking me as the first in at least four generations to serve the Lord. Don't tell those other Lutherans or I'll never hear the end of Infant Baptism. :)

• Like 2

We should also consider Paul.

He was in the Temple (Acts 22) and this involved the offering of an animal sacrifice for sins which would belittle the sacrifice of Christ on the cross.

His being there and a partaker of this offering was only prevented in that he was discovered by the Jews and was physically attacked.

How about Peter when he wouldn't eat with the Gentiles when the Jews were around? That was pride.

Just been discussing Old Testament Israel and how continually disobedient to God His "chosen people" were. Moses, Aaron, and Miriam, failed at times, as did the whole nation over and over again.

Psalm 78:5-11
(5)  For he established a testimony in Jacob, and appointed a law in Israel, which he commanded our fathers, that they should make them known to their children:
(6)  That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:
(7)  That they might set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep his commandments:
(8)  And might not be as their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation; a generation that set not their heart aright, and whose spirit was not stedfast with God.
(9)  The children of Ephraim, being armed, and carrying bows, turned back in the day of battle.
(10)  They kept not the covenant of God, and refused to walk in his law;
(11)  And forgat his works, and his wonders that he had shewed them.

The unwillingness of Israel to maintain an unfeigned and sincere profession of faith towards God is a theme throughout Psalm 78, which has 72 verses.  

Psalm 78:16-22
(16)  He brought streams also out of the rock, and caused waters to run down like rivers.
(17)  And they sinned yet more against him by provoking the most High in the wilderness.
(18)  And they tempted God in their heart by asking meat for their lust.
(19)  Yea, they spake against God;
they said, Can God furnish a table in the wilderness?
(20)  Behold, he smote the rock, that the waters gushed out, and the streams overflowed; can he give bread also? can he provide flesh for his people?
(21)  Therefore the LORD heard this, and was wroth: so a fire was kindled against Jacob, and anger also came up against Israel;
(22)  Because they believed not in God, and trusted not in his salvation:

Neither the judgments nor the  mercies of God stopped the decline of Israel into idolatry and rebellion.

Psalm 78:31-42
(31)  The wrath of God came upon them, and slew the fattest of them, and smote down the chosen men of Israel.
(32)  For all this they sinned still, and believed not for his wondrous works.
(33)  Therefore their days did he consume in vanity, and their years in trouble.
(34)  When he slew them, then they sought him: and they returned and enquired early after God.
(35)  And they remembered that God was their rock, and the high God their redeemer.
(36)  Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues.
(37)  For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant.
(38)  But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath.
(39)  For he remembered that they were but flesh; a wind that passes away, and comes not again.
(40)  How oft did they provoke him in the wilderness, and grieve him in the desert!
(41)  Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel.
(42)  They remembered not his hand, nor the day when he delivered them from the enemy.

The chastisements of God are intended to bring His people back into a faithful covenant relationship with Him, even if this means captivity by their enemies for a time.

Psalm 78:52-61
(52)  But made his own people to go forth like sheep, and guided them in the wilderness like a flock.
(53)  And he led them on safely, so that they feared not: but the sea overwhelmed their enemies.
(54)  And he brought them to the border of his sanctuary, even to this mountain, which his right hand had purchased.
(55)  He cast out the heathen also before them, and divided them an inheritance by line, and made the tribes of Israel to dwell in their tents.
(56)  Yet they tempted and provoked the most high God, and kept not his testimonies:
(57)  But turned back, and dealt unfaithfully like their fathers: they were turned aside like a deceitful bow.
(58)  For they provoked him to anger with their high places, and moved him to jealousy with their graven images.
(59)  When God heard this, he was wroth, and greatly abhorred Israel:
(60)  So that he forsook the tabernacle of Shiloh, the tent which he placed among men;
(61)  And delivered his strength into captivity, and his glory into the enemy's hand.

As Christians we are expected to learn from the mistakes of Israel.

Nice  to know i am normal. Thanks guys  :classic_smile:

Their disobedience cost them the Covenant. So very thankful for GRACE.

• Like 1