The Protestant Community

Welcome to Christforums the Protestant Community. You'll need to register in order to post your comments on your favorite topics and subjects. You'll also enjoy sharing media across multiple platforms. We hope you enjoy your fellowship here! God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now

Christforums

Christforums is a Protestant Christian forum, open to Bible- believing Christians such as Presbyterians, Lutherans, Reformed, Baptists, Church of Christ members, Pentecostals, Anglicans. Methodists, Charismatics, or any other conservative, Nicene- derived Christian Church. We do not solicit cultists of any kind, including Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Eastern Lightning, Falun Gong, Unification Church, Aum Shinrikyo, Christian Scientists or any other non- Nicene, non- Biblical heresy. God bless, Christforums' Staff
Register now
Sign in to follow this  
Alex Odell

Hello, Teen here from atheist family

Hello, I am a teenager that was raised by atheist parents, however excuse me if this sounds insensitive or rude, I have more recently found faith in God. I joined this forum on hopes of finding answers for my questions, as I do not want to talk to my Christian relatives about these things. I am not sure as to what direction to go from here, reading the Bible, ect.

Thank you, Alex

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum. Hope your fellowship here is a fruitful one!

God bless,

William

Hi Alex. Let me give you some generic advise I've settled on. Grab yourself an ESV Bible (downloaded, bookstore, or online) and read the Gospel of John (the book after Matthew, Mark, and Luke).

• Like 3

Hi Alex, you should grab a KJV Bible with the the Message or the Voice translation for deeper understanding. According to me, you should start from the beginning of the Bible i.e. from Genesis in order to understand the God's Old Covenant in order to deeply understand the New Covenant. You oughtta follow the success formula of God i.e. as follows:-

1) Understand the word of God.

2) Meditate on the word of God.

3)Put the word into action.

Welcome to the forum. I hope we can give you the help you need. Have you told your parents about your faith in God?

Please read this book. This book is provided by Kenneth Copland Ministries. It'll surely help you understanding the God's Success Formula.
No one should read anything by Kenneth Copland.

• Like 1

Please read this book. This book is provided by Kenneth Copland Ministries. It'll surely help you understanding the God's Success Formula.

Before recommending anything by Kenneth Copeland, I suggest you read this:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/c53.html

Never never recommend anything from Kenneth Copeland.

• Like 3

Hi Alex, you should grab a KJV Bible with the the Message or the Voice translation for deeper understanding. According to me, you should start from the beginning of the Bible i.e. from Genesis in order to understand the God's Old Covenant in order to deeply understand the New Covenant. You oughtta follow the success formula of God i.e. as follows:-

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that your advice is horrible. Starting with Genesis, it would take a long time for anyone ever to get to the "Good News", and the Gospel is easily understood even without reading the Old Testament first.

I love the KJV and it's a necessary text for any serious student of the Bible, but for the uninitiated, it's old language is hard to understand and misleading. The Message and the Voice play fast and loose with the text and so are garbage. Speaking of which...

Please read this book. This book is provided by Kenneth Copland Ministries.

Read the Gospel of John in the ESV (or NKJV). That goes for you too, and don't read any garbage that skews you into error.

• Like 1

Motirattan actually recommended reading a book by Kenneth Copeland over reading the Gospel. :eek:

The Message and the Voice play fast and loose with the text and so are garbage.
Calling them garbage might give the impression that they have at least some value. After all at least some garbage can be recycled or useful in other ways. As translations of the biblical texts (and by the way that is using the word translation in an extremely loose sense), they are worthless.

Before recommending anything by Kenneth Copeland, I suggest you read this:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/c53.html

First of all, you should come to know that his teaching might be false but this book is truely good to achieve victory for beginners

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that your advice is horrible. Starting with Genesis, it would take a long time for anyone ever to get to the "Good News", and the Gospel is easily understood even without reading the Old Testament first.

I love the KJV and it's a necessary text for any serious student of the Bible, but for the uninitiated, it's old language is hard to understand and misleading. The Message and the Voice play fast and loose with the text and so are garbage.

I gotta tell you that reading from Genesis enhances a person's understanding. And also I've recommended the Voice or the Message translation with the KJV because KJV is a word to word translation and other two are thought to thought. While ESV and NKJV are somewhat a mixture of both. But if we do it manually in our mind, it'll make better sense and understanding of what God wants to say. Moreover, you can start reading the four gospels side by side. Let Spirit be your guide and teacher.

God Bless,

Moti Rattan

First of all, you should come to know that his teaching might be false but this book is truely good to achieve victory for beginners
That makes no sense. Since Copland's teaching is false, anything that comes from his ministry is suspect to say the least.

And also I've recommended the Voice or the Message translation with the KJV because KJV is a word to word translation and other two are thought to thought.
As I said above, as translations of the biblical texts (and by the way that is using the word translation in an extremely loose sense), they are worthless.

I gotta tell you that reading from Genesis enhances a person's understanding. And also I've recommended the Voice or the Message translation with the KJV because KJV is a word to word translation and other two are thought to thought. While ESV and NKJV are somewhat a mixture of both. But if we do it manually in our mind, it'll make better sense and understanding of what God wants to say. Moreover, you can start reading the four gospels side by side. Let Spirit be your guide and teacher.

Would you stop trying defend the no good, horrible advice given earlier. Yes, reading Genesis does enhance a person's understanding, but a person should first get familiar with what it is they're seeking to understand, i.e. the Gospel, before they go elsewhere to enhance their understanding. And, no, a book by an Atheist conman, Copeland, is not truly good for beginners, not good at all, let alone giving it priority over reading the Gospels.

No, the Voice and the Message are not thought-for-thought translations. Worthless garbage changes the meaning, often deliberately and drastically so. I'll spare you examples as to avoid getting in debate about correct doctrine (Doctrine itself wouldn't even be the issue, but people who defend lies and garbage don't make a distinction between a changed text to teach a doctrine and a doctrine they believe is taught by unchanged text. E.g. If someone believes the moon is made of green cheese, he'll defend as accurate and unchanged a verse changed to say the moon is made of green cheese, even though no verse in the Bible says anything remotely like that).

• Like 1

I think the following image in the link will be useful. I personally only use KJV. But, to anyone I would suggest reject anything right of ESV. Message and Voice do not even come close to the NIV which should be taken with a bag of salt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n12626[/ATTACH]

bibletranslationcomparisonsm.gif.167fc1ee2e252249a980ce0e3ec06e44.gif

• Like 2

Motirattan actually recommended reading a book by Kenneth Copeland over reading the Gospel. :eek:

Have you forgotten his introductory thread in this forum?

https://www.christforums.org/forum/main-forum/11114-can-an-unbaptized-be-saved

He comes from a Hindu background so he hasn't had the same opportunity the rest of us have had to study the Bible.

• Like 2

He comes from a Hindu background so he hasn't had the same opportunity the rest of us have had to study the Bible.

Thank you theophilus for understanding me.

• Like 2

Hello, I am a teenager that was raised by atheist parents, however excuse me if this sounds insensitive or rude, I have more recently found faith in God. I joined this forum on hopes of finding answers for my questions, as I do not want to talk to my Christian relatives about these things. I am not sure as to what direction to go from here, reading the Bible, ect.

Thank you, Alex

Welcome.

Been where you are. I am the first generation in my family to seek God in living memory.

"Start with the Gospel of John" was good general advice.

If you have more specific questions, ask.

Lots of good people here who can provide answers.

My advice is to listen to all, ask God to point you to the truth, and check what EVERYONE says against the Bible.

Then make an informed decision.

Arthur

• Like 1