This form provides us with the opportunity to address any questions or concerns that you may have.

What can we improve upon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can we improve upon?

Hello Members,

I'd like to ask you about your impressions here. Do you have any complaints or suggestions? How can we make Christforums' better? Please feel free to comment on our software and staff!

God bless,
    William

Completely change all of it. Just kidding.

There are things that do work well. And I think you work well at optimizing the pages as much as you are able. I am wondering why you landed with this solution as opposed to others like xenforo or discourse (just to name a couple other options).
    Comment>

I would like to be able to post a signature though. Just sayin'.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
        Completely change all of it. Just kidding.

There are things that do work well. And I think you work well at optimizing the pages as much as you are able. I am wondering why you landed with this solution as opposed to others like xenforo or discourse (just to name a couple other options).
        Xenforo was a second choice, actually I struggled in my decision making between Vbulletin and Xenforo. After running Vbulletin for a few months I also came very close to migrating the data to Xenforo. I now no longer have any doubts. The Vbulletin 5 software had a horrible reputation at the beginning, a software released way too early. However, those days are done, Vbulletin 5 is very stable now and as you can see on this forum it operates smoothly. I think Vbulletin 5 comes packaged with more options, and in the long run Xenforo needs more mods which add to the base package. A CMS or blog is one example. Not to mention styling, it just appears that Xenforo styling really looks like every other site. When I looked, other Christian Forums were using Xenforo, which persuaded me to look for something different.

As for Discourse, it simply wasn't something I was looking for. Having used Joomla and a forum solution for a decade I was anxious to get away from a blog with commenting. That's what Discourse really reminds me of. Again, it is personal preference, but the Discourse layout wasn't something I was looking at all.

As for Signatures, they are available to SiteSupporters. Any donation gets the member moved from a regular account to SiteSupporter which gives them the ability to use Signatures. The reason I have chosen to do this is not greed, but because many spammers come onto the site and just post a signature for a backlink. This is a way of cutting down on the one time spammer poster etc. Other options such as blogs will also be made available to Sitesupporters for the same reason. In time more Site options will be created and made avail to SiteSupporters.

As for Optimizing, here are Screen shots between Christianforums.net and Christforums.org. As you can see our main page is much more heavy with ads and visual effects, but nearly identical to a stripped down Xenforo site:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Christianforums.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.5 KB ID:	29408
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Christforums.jpg Views:	1 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	29409

I was also really curious as to whether you may have comments or suggestions for our Staff? Regarding Moderation etc?

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

You could get rid of that ADMIN. He is too polite.
          Comment>

A small thing that really works for me as admin @CFnet i have a second account ... I can log in as Ruthy and see what members see, as it is very easy to forget... test things out etc.. You guys may be such geeks something like that would be of no help to ya..
            I am getting used to the site.. so far of all the others i have tried i like the format here the quietness of the colors ... it is not home but a nice cabin by the lake :)
            Comment>

Originally posted by reba View Post
              A small thing that really works for me as admin @CFnet i have a second account ... I can log in as Ruthy and see what members see, as it is very easy to forget... test things out etc.. You guys may be such geeks something like that would be of no help to ya..
              I am getting used to the site.. so far of all the others i have tried i like the format here the quietness of the colors ... it is not home but a nice cabin by the lake :)
              That's a necessity. The admin needs multiple test accounts for each forum user group to test permissions. Seeing from guests, members, moderators, etc. Thanks for the input Reba.

God bless,
              William
              Comment>

Originally posted by reba View Post
                I knew you were spying on the rabble!
                Comment>

I'm really enjoying the fellowship here. I'm sure we could all (myself included) work more on making sure our words are communicating humility and kindness, "speaking the truth in love". But overall I've felt very welcomed and appreciate that there is a general desire to keep on track; discussing the Bible and faith in Christ. Thank you, again for accepting my request to join! :) :)
                  Comment>

Hello.. not sure how old the forum is, but seems like it's getting a lot of traffic mainly from guests.. the forum seems to be a close fellowship community with decent discussions..

The only thing that I would change is the layout.. it seems to be more complex than it needs to be.. I would prefer to see simple vertical columns for the forum categories. There could be a tint of colour in the background or to have a choice of colour, I have used the app and the nighttime mode makes my eyes go funny. Definitely the layout needs improvement but overall a good forum.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Bliss View Post
                      Hello.. not sure how old the forum is, but seems like it's getting a lot of traffic mainly from guests.. the forum seems to be a close fellowship community with decent discussions..

The only thing that I would change is the layout.. it seems to be more complex than it needs to be.. I would prefer to see simple vertical columns for the forum categories. There could be a tint of colour in the background or to have a choice of colour, I have used the app and the nighttime mode makes my eyes go funny. Definitely the layout needs improvement but overall a good forum.
                      A regular single column is also available. Try the "Bare Bones" template located from the template selector (bottom left) of your screen.

We are working on a dark template which will be available soon (it needed updating with our recent changes). The dark template should be available in 24 hrs and will be selectable by the name "Paragon".

God bless,
                      William
                      Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

A regular single column is also available. Try the "Bare Bones" template located from the template selector (bottom left) of your screen.

We are working on a dark template which will be available soon (it needed updating with our recent changes). The dark template should be available in 24 hrs and will be selectable by the name "Paragon".

God bless,
                        William
                        Superb., The bare bones is a lot easier to manage for me, you should even consider it a default layout... I will look forward to the paragon feature, it seems you are already in the know about how to improve your already good service.

Have a great day.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Bliss View Post

Superb., The bare bones is a lot easier to manage for me, you should even consider it a default layout... I will look forward to the paragon feature, it seems you are already in the know about how to improve your already good service.

Have a great day.
                          The dark "Paragon" template is now available from the template selector (lower left of screen).

God bless,
                          William
                          Comment>

Knotical thought you may be interested in this as it shows Discourse: Forum Software technologies Web Usage Statistics

Click image for larger version

Name:	forums.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	29956

God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

Interesting. Discourse is third and rising in popularity.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap