Technical information and announcements about our Christian forums.

An Unfortunate Accident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • An Unfortunate Accident

    Hi,

    An unfortunate accident resulted today and required a database restore. Unfortunately, this means around 12 hours of posts were lost. I am sorry for the inconvenience.... there were some great posts lost.

    I am working on minimizing this type of loss in the future by creating multiple backups throughout a 24 hour span.

    God bless,
    William

  • #2
    Hello,

    I'm new here. My name is Brad. I found you on vbulletin.org but I wanted to give you a tip on the back up thing.

    Something I use myself on my website and it's called backup2mail.

    Check it out on their website (backup2mail.com)

    Anyways I'm not advertising but only trying to help you. You just have to edit the index.php file and you can receive backups to your email through an attachment and even get them up to 1 every minute. What I do is make a new email that I don't use often and just have the backups stack so I don't lose any progress.

    I'm TheXboxCloud on vbulletin.org and I responded to your review thread. Amazing work you've done here. I am a Christian myself and I wanted to compliment your design. It could use some work but I will say that it's the best one I've seen thus far and that is the truth.

    Good luck!
    Comment>

    • #3
      Originally posted by Cloud View Post
      Hello,

      I'm new here. My name is Brad. I found you on vbulletin.org but I wanted to give you a tip on the back up thing.

      Something I use myself on my website and it's called backup2mail.

      Check it out on their website (backup2mail.com)

      Anyways I'm not advertising but only trying to help you. You just have to edit the index.php file and you can receive backups to your email through an attachment and even get them up to 1 every minute. What I do is make a new email that I don't use often and just have the backups stack so I don't lose any progress.

      I'm TheXboxCloud on vbulletin.org and I responded to your review thread. Amazing work you've done here. I am a Christian myself and I wanted to compliment your design. It could use some work but I will say that it's the best one I've seen thus far and that is the truth.

      Good luck!
      Hello Brad,

      Welcome! Thank you kindly for your help, compliments, and positive feedback. I really could of used your input earlier today before I had successfully created a Cron Job that schedules backups of the database and conveniently emails them for download. I'm experimenting with exactly how many I need throughout the day, but for now have settled on a couple. Any suggestions?

      I just read your feedback on Vbulletin.org. This site and especially Vbulletin has been a learning curve these last three months. For the last four years the site was based on an Open Source software project named Joomla!. The transition from Joomla! to VBulletin was a big task, and up until this latest version of Vb 5 I was really uncertain as to whether I chose the best version to work with. VB 5 has exceeded all my expectations, and perhaps because I only began a few months ago avoided most of the bugs with earlier versions of Vb 5.

      I'm interested in your index.php modified file, as I was wondering whether the Cron Job was the most efficient route? It seems the mod you posted is very similar to the backup files/mod I utilized. As to exactly what I had done... I followed the second option available here: Email yourself the database

      The only stumbling block that had arisen was from insufficient memory when executing the Cron Job command. The memory limit had to be increased by the hosting service in order to run the script.

      I hope to see you here in the forum. By all means stick around while feeling welcome to engage with others in the faith of Christ!

      God bless,
      William
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by William View Post

        Hello Brad,

        Welcome! Thank you kindly for your help, compliments, and positive feedback. I really could of used your input earlier today before I had successfully created a Cron Job that schedules backups of the database and conveniently emails them for download. I'm experimenting with exactly how many I need throughout the day, but for now have settled on a couple. Any suggestions?

        I just read your feedback on Vbulletin.org. This site and especially Vbulletin has been a learning curve these last three months. For the last four years the site was based on an Open Source software project named Joomla!. The transition from Joomla! to VBulletin was a big task, and up until this latest version of Vb 5 I was really uncertain as to whether I chose the best version to work with. VB 5 has exceeded all my expectations, and perhaps because I only began a few months ago avoided most of the bugs with earlier versions of Vb 5.

        I'm interested in your index.php modified file, as I was wondering whether the Cron Job was the most efficient route? It seems the mod you posted is very similar to the backup files/mod I utilized. As to exactly what I had done... I followed the second option available here: Email yourself the database

        The only stumbling block that had arisen was from insufficient memory when executing the Cron Job command. The memory limit had to be increased by the hosting service in order to run the script.

        I hope to see you here in the forum. By all means stick around while feeling welcome to engage with others in the faith of Christ!

        God bless,
        William

        I'm assuming you host with godaddy or someone similar. You should check into hosts that don't put limits on your site resources. Usually they are just as cheap and allow for more flexibility. The one I use is host pair.

        As for the Cron Job command, that really is the only way you can do it that I know. You must first edit the index.php with the database name, database user, password, email, and I believe that's it. After that you edit the cron job table with the text given including the full path to the folders index.php and it will start.

        By the way, I was speaking of a separate index.php then your forum one. It's the one that's included with backup2mail. But other than that there's nothing else to it. I would set the time table to * * * * * which is every minute just to make sure it works first. After you confirm it works you can easily change it to a more appropriate time.

        I have mine send every minute in an email I don't use so I never have to miss any content.
        Comment>

        • #5
          Thanks Cloud!
          Comment>

          • #6
            Originally posted by Cloud View Post


            I'm assuming you host with godaddy or someone similar. You should check into hosts that don't put limits on your site resources. Usually they are just as cheap and allow for more flexibility. The one I use is host pair.

            As for the Cron Job command, that really is the only way you can do it that I know. You must first edit the index.php with the database name, database user, password, email, and I believe that's it. After that you edit the cron job table with the text given including the full path to the folders index.php and it will start.

            By the way, I was speaking of a separate index.php then your forum one. It's the one that's included with backup2mail. But other than that there's nothing else to it. I would set the time table to * * * * * which is every minute just to make sure it works first. After you confirm it works you can easily change it to a more appropriate time.

            I have mine send every minute in an email I don't use so I never have to miss any content.
            Hi Cloud,

            Just to clarify, my host is not Godaddy, and I didn't need to contact them for increasing memory limits. I wasn't aware of the Cpanel option for PHP variables.

            Lastly, both MySQL scripts had failed to deliver email with backup attachments, though they worked when manually executing the scripts. I gave up on them and instead used this Cron Job command in order to create a backup on the server: The MySQL Dump Code for Cron

            God bless,
            William

            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap