Use this prayer board to post your prayer requests and praises, or respond in prayer to other's requests.

Pray for Zack and Melissa

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pray for Zack and Melissa

Melissa is a nurse who worked with my wife and has been a long time friend of the family. Melissa has a son named Zack who is about 18 years old with severe Cerebral Palsy. Zack has never walked or spoken and has frequently been hospitalized. During a normal crisis, Zack is rushed to a local hospital to be stabilized and then quickly transported to All Children's Hospital in St. Petersburg, FL (by Helicopter or Ambulance) for acute treatment. For whatever reason, they are not transferring Zack this time, which suggests that they are unable to stabilize his condition.

My wife has gone to be with Melissa and requested prayer for Zack and Melissa. Zack was never expected to live this long and may be going home. The matter is ultimately in the hands of God, but either way, the family will need prayers ... for healing, or for grace & strength.

Arthur

Thanks Arthur! Praying for Zack, Melissa and their family and friends. I had the great honor and pleasure of being able to work with some CP kids some time ago (I taught a basic music program from them at our Children's Hospital). I still remember them as being some of the sweetest kids I have ever known. I'm very sorry to hear about Zack, but I'm especially sorry for his mom.

In Christ,
    David
    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
    Comment>

Ijust prayed that Zack and his Mom would be right in the direct center of the Fathers will. The has to be very difficult for both/
      Comment>

I guess an update would be a good idea. Thank you to everyone for your prayers, God is still in the God business and for whatever reason ... he is still using people to do his thing.

So January 23, Zack arrived at the hospital dehydrated, running a fever and with his kidney's shut down. His CP means that his neck is permanently bent to one side and his arms and legs so thin that his carotid artery is the only place to install a port to connect the IV to provide him with the fluids and meds needed to fight his infection and save his life. When Melissa called Teresa (my wife) for support, Zack had just blown his only port (that means that the injection site came out and blood leaked into the surrounding tissue). So the side of Zack's neck where they could access the only large artery/vein was red and swollen with blood and they had no way to insert a port in a new location. The next logical step would be to surgically install a port, however, Zack had recently had filter installed to deal with blood clots in his legs and was on powerful blood thinners, so no surgeon could or would attempt surgery to install a port. When Melissa called Teresa, she was being told that there was literally nothing that could be done and she was about to watch her son die slowly and in pain over the next few days.

Teresa is the one who introduced me to the little Pentecostal church that I now attend. She is a strong believer that God can and does do miracles and is living proof that dead isn't dead until God says you are dead (a long story for another time). Teresa is also an RN with decades of Hospice experience who knows most of the doctors at most of the local hospitals. She told the staff (not sure what department) that Zack was young and they had no business giving up on him. Teresa and Melissa agreed to hold Zack still and support his breathing tube while the staff attempted to reinsert a port into the artery in his neck. They would attempt to insert the port with a wire into an artery that they could not see, then check the placement with an x-ray. A miss, so they would try again, and take another x-ray. Another miss. After an unheard of 20 attempts (a new hospital record) and a great deal of prayer, they successfully inserted a port into an artery that no one could see.

Zack is still in the hospital and is still receiving treatment, but his kidney function has returned and his port remains available to provide medication. Whether Zack ultimately lives or goes home, Melissa is spared the feeling of helplessness of doing nothing and wondering if more could have been done. When Zack goes home to God, it will be because God has decided it is time and not because doctors were afraid to try. And as any good Hospice Nurse will tell you, nobody should have to die in pain.
        Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
          I guess an update would be a good idea. Thank you to everyone for your prayers, God is still in the God business and for whatever reason ... he is still using people to do his thing.

So January 23, Zack arrived at the hospital dehydrated, running a fever and with his kidney's shut down. His CP means that his neck is permanently bent to one side and his arms and legs so thin that his carotid artery is the only place to install a port to connect the IV to provide him with the fluids and meds needed to fight his infection and save his life. When Melissa called Teresa (my wife) for support, Zack had just blown his only port (that means that the injection site came out and blood leaked into the surrounding tissue). So the side of Zack's neck where they could access the only large artery/vein was red and swollen with blood and they had no way to insert a port in a new location. The next logical step would be to surgically install a port, however, Zack had recently had filter installed to deal with blood clots in his legs and was on powerful blood thinners, so no surgeon could or would attempt surgery to install a port. When Melissa called Teresa, she was being told that there was literally nothing that could be done and she was about to watch her son die slowly and in pain over the next few days.

Teresa is the one who introduced me to the little Pentecostal church that I now attend. She is a strong believer that God can and does do miracles and is living proof that dead isn't dead until God says you are dead (a long story for another time). Teresa is also an RN with decades of Hospice experience who knows most of the doctors at most of the local hospitals. She told the staff (not sure what department) that Zack was young and they had no business giving up on him. Teresa and Melissa agreed to hold Zack still and support his breathing tube while the staff attempted to reinsert a port into the artery in his neck. They would attempt to insert the port with a wire into an artery that they could not see, then check the placement with an x-ray. A miss, so they would try again, and take another x-ray. Another miss. After an unheard of 20 attempts (a new hospital record) and a great deal of prayer, they successfully inserted a port into an artery that no one could see.

Zack is still in the hospital and is still receiving treatment, but his kidney function has returned and his port remains available to provide medication. Whether Zack ultimately lives or goes home, Melissa is spared the feeling of helplessness of doing nothing and wondering if more could have been done. When Zack goes home to God, it will be because God has decided it is time and not because doctors were afraid to try. And as any good Hospice Nurse will tell you, nobody should have to die in pain.

I know some of what he is enduring. I too had a filter and it had to be removed. I am on a very high does of a blood thinner. They considered a port for me but the risk of infection was too high for me. That along with blood clotting disorder, the doctors were forced to just keep inserting a new IV every time. Last August they tried 21 times ond only got me three times.

I totally emphasize with the difficulty they are going through with Zack. Remember to feel sorry for those who fail to get the port in as I have seen them cry when the knew how much pain they were causing me. I try to keep in mind that this is only temporary while I am on earth.. I also try and think about the pain Jesus endured for my sins.

justme
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap