Use this prayer board to post your prayer requests and praises, or respond in prayer to other's requests.

Miracles in Washington D.C.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Miracles in Washington D.C.

    My wife and I often encounter people in D.C. who need a miracle and we have been recording videos to share their stories. Take a look here and let me know what you think:



  • #2
    I have rather negative connotations surrounding Street or Faith Healers. For example:



    Now watch a very famous music group that supposedly converted to Christianity perform a faith healing:



    But I do believe in true miracles, I believe every Regeneration is an act of God.

    God bless,
    William
    Comment>

    • #3
      There is some negative connotations out there but I can tell you from experience that it is real. The things I see every week still amaze me. The methods or models some people use seem a little strange but there is a lot of scripture backing up miraculous activity both in the early church and today; the last part of Mark 16, all throughout Acts, 1 Cor. 12-14 are some of my favorites. There's also a strong miracle history within the church. There's a great book titled "2000 years of charismatic Christianity" that provides a lot of historical context. And I agree, salvation is the greatest miracle of all!
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by dcpastor View Post
        There is some negative connotations out there but I can tell you from experience that it is real. The things I see every week still amaze me. The methods or models some people use seem a little strange but there is a lot of scripture backing up miraculous activity both in the early church and today; the last part of Mark 16, all throughout Acts, 1 Cor. 12-14 are some of my favorites. There's also a strong miracle history within the church. There's a great book titled "2000 years of charismatic Christianity" that provides a lot of historical context. And I agree, salvation is the greatest miracle of all!
        Hi dcpastor,

        I tend to be very weary and cautious towards the Charismatic movement as a Cessationist. I cannot deny the exploit of so many within that movement. As far as the Scriptural references you alluded to I wouldn't mind seeing these addressed from both a Continuist and Cessationist perspective.


        God bless,
        William
        Comment>

        • #5
          Originally posted by William View Post

          Hi dcpastor,

          I tend to be very weary and cautious towards the Charismatic movement as a Cessationist. I cannot deny the exploit of so many within that movement. As far as the Scriptural references you alluded to I wouldn't mind seeing these addressed from both a Continuist and Cessationist perspective.


          God bless,
          William
          I hear you bro, I'll try to address them from my perspective. I believe, quite simply, that God wants to be actively engaged in his creation. I don't see any reference in scripture that says God will stop healing people. There is one reference in 1 Cor 13:9 that says prophecy will cease (really, I think this probably refers to all the spiritual gifts) and I believe that is going to occur after the 2nd coming. We won't need healing, prophecy, etc. in heaven so it makes sense to me that it will end at that time. When Jesus says in John 20:21, "as the Father sent me now I send you," I think what he meant there was that we are supposed to pick up where he left off and continue to do what he did. The disciples got the message and we see evidence of that throughout the book of Acts. Jesus also told the disciples at the end of Matt. 28 to teach others to obey everything he commanded. I see that as the point where Jesus is saying, don't let this stop here, it needs to continue until I come back. Now, it's easy to have this as a theology but where it gets real is when you actually see miracles occur. And not just ones that are for show (I'm sure there have been plenty of those). Miracles are one of the best forms of evangelism. When someone is suddenly healed, they cannot deny what just happened. It leads perfectly into a salvation prayer without any debating, etc. Miracles also show us the love of God. We prayed for a lady today who was barely able to walk with a cane and she had a brace on her knee. she was emotionally wrecked afterwards and could barely tell her story on video. I just finished uploading the video to Youtube of her testimony, check out the link at the end of this post. I try to keep it simple. I believe in the mandate Jesus gave to us, I believe that the gifts of the Spirit are still for today, and I believe that as Christ's ambassadors (2 Cor. 5:20) we need to represent all of him. I put it into practice every chance I get, and to be completely transparent, it is the most fun I have ever had in my life.



           
          Comment>

          • #6
            I think this idea is great. It is absolutely easy. It is simple. It is so needed. D.C. is an area that needs the Lord; I have seen it for myself!
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by dcpastor View Post
              Miracles are one of the best forms of evangelism.
              If miracles are such a good form of evangelism why didn't Paul perform more of them when he preached the gospel? God sometimes uses miracles to convince people of the truth but Satan can do miracles too. The magicians of Egypt were able to duplicate some of the signs Moses used to convince Pharaoh to release the Israelites. When the antichrist comes he will perform miracles to convince people to believe in him.

              The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders,
              (2 Thessalonians 2:9 ESV)
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

              • #8
                Peter in Acts however used many miracles to evangelize. I believe God may still perform miracles today, but it's hard to believe they occur nearly as often as people claim. If people could just speak miracles whenever they wished, then God would take on the role of a magic lamp-in a sense.
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by theophilus View Post

                  If miracles are such a good form of evangelism why didn't Paul perform more of them when he preached the gospel? God sometimes uses miracles to convince people of the truth but Satan can do miracles too. The magicians of Egypt were able to duplicate some of the signs Moses used to convince Pharaoh to release the Israelites. When the antichrist comes he will perform miracles to convince people to believe in him.

                  The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders,
                  (2 Thessalonians 2:9 ESV)
                  Satan has no desire to heal the sick, he has come to kill, steal, and destroy.
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
                    it's hard to believe they occur nearly as often as people claim
                    I would say, on average, we see about 20% of the people we pray for completely healed when we minister in churches. That number is significantly higher during street ministry in desperately poor neighborhoods; I'm not sure why this is the case except that maybe the need is greater since they don't have access to good health care, but that's just a theory. Come hang out with me in DC sometime, it's incredible what God does.
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      Interesting. You know, it's funny, I was eating a snack at the park the other day and a woman came up to me. She claimed I had the gift of healing (especially) in my right hand. I politely said oh really t but of course I was skeptical and still am.
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Someone please help me understand where the skepticism comes from? Jesus healed people. He sent the disciples out to do the same, and miracles are all through the book of acts. What reason is there for anyone to think God stopped performing miracles?
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Just two days before, a gentleman came to me who claimed be able to prophesy. He said I was going to die in 7 years.We need to have a healthy skepticism in order to avoid false teachers and others that might lead us astray. Yes there are miracles and healings (see Corinthians). However, it would probably be wise to test the spirits.
                          Comment>

                          • #14
                            The rule in the Old testament for testing prophecy was pretty simple. If a prophet tried to lead you to another god, you were to kill him/her. And if a prophet told you something and it didn't happen the test was to wait and see if it happened) then they were also considered to be a false prophet. Deuteronomy 13 and 18 outlines those pieces. For today, you are correct about testing the spirits. I tend to think that the gift of discernment is key to ministering effectively and to receiving ministry because it makes it much easier to know if what someone says/does is in line with the word of God.
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap