Here is the one book to ask mainline Protestants everything you have always wanted to know...

Blind Faith

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blind Faith

Do you believe in blind faith of what the Bible teaches you, or are you someone who questions or tries to research what is meant by certain passages in the bible. I know that there are those out there who take the written word at face value without questioning it at all. I lean more toward trying to get a deeper understanding and questioning certain things in the bible. There are obviously some things that are what they are and can't be changed, such as if you kill you will go to hell, but what about other topics on how you are supposed to live?

I question what everything in the Bible means. I usually start by being careful with what it actually says. For example, I don't think you will find a verse that says "if you kill you will go to hell". Going to Hell seems to be the prize for living and dying without 'declaring with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believing in your heart that God raised him from the dead' so that 'you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.' (Romans 10:9-10)

What I do not question is whether what the scripture says can be trusted to be true. I did when I started out but it has long since proven it has a better track record than any other source of information. However, it has depths of meaning hidden within it that reveal subtle truths that bring me comfort and courage and joy. So like a miner, I dig for hidden treasures and cherish every sparkling gem that God allows me to find. And the best part is that I can share God's gems and they simply multiply. So most of the treasures I possess were first pointed out to me by another miner.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Rosyrain View Post
      Do you believe in blind faith of what the Bible teaches you, or are you someone who questions or tries to research what is meant by certain passages in the bible.
      I have no idea from where you reach the conclusion that the Bible teaches blind faith: 1 Peter 3:15; 2 Corinthians 10:5; Jude 1:3; Philippians 1:16.

Why would the Scriptures bother giving any evidence and credibility if it promoted blind faith?

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

I have deep faith on religion, but I interpret religion with logic. I have faith on the Bible, however, I don't think Bible is the work of God. I do believe the happenings mentioned in the Bible however, I don't believe everything blindly. I try to understand my faith with logic and science. However, for the things mentioned in the Bible that have no scientific explanations, I try not to give my attention too much. I keep religion and faith in equilibrium.
        Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

I have no idea from where you reach the conclusion that the Bible teaches blind faith: 1 Peter 3:15; 2 Corinthians 10:5; Jude 1:3; Philippians 1:16.

Why would the Scriptures bother giving any evidence and credibility if it promoted blind faith?

God bless,
          William
          I think she meant to ask if you believe what the Bible claims with blind faith (completely unquestioning what it says) or do you question the literal and superficial meaning and seek deeper hidden meaning in a verse. One example that comes to mind is: How many people unquestioningly obey the command to gouge out their eye if it leads them astray?
          Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
            I think she meant to ask if you believe what the Bible claims with blind faith (completely unquestioning what it says) or do you question the literal and superficial meaning and seek deeper hidden meaning in a verse.
            When I think of blind faith I think about the Arminian distortion of the gospel, which requires one to choose despite not being able to "see", let alone enter, nor draw near to the object of our faith.

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
              I think she meant to ask if you believe what the Bible claims with blind faith (completely unquestioning what it says) or do you question the literal and superficial meaning and seek deeper hidden meaning in a verse. One example that comes to mind is: How many people unquestioningly obey the command to gouge out their eye if it leads them astray?
              Yes, that is what I meant by that, do you believe it because it is written in the Bible without questioning it at all. I am interested in the Arminian distortion now as well because I have never heard of it before William.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Rosyrain View Post
                Yes, that is what I meant by that, do you believe it because it is written in the Bible without questioning it at all. I am interested in the Arminian distortion now as well because I have never heard of it before William.
                Arminianism is a system of belief that attempts to explain the relationship between God's sovereignty and mankind's free will, especially in relation to salvation. Arminianism is named after Jacob Arminius (1560—1609), a Dutch theologian.

We have a sub-forum for Arminianism located here: Arminianism -Christforums

My main emphasis was on the fact that Arminianism teaches that faith precedes regeneration rather than the Monergistic view that regeneration precedes faith. Scriptures such as Ephesians 2:4-5 support the timing of the monergistic teaching that regeneration precedes faith. Arminianism teaches that man can will himself to Christ whereas Scriptures such as John 6:44 state "No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day." Other Scriptures such as John chapter 3 say man must be born again to "see" or enter the kingdom. In other words, without regeneration man cannot "see", "enter" let alone draw near to the object of faith. One must be born again, which in itself bears fruit the fruit of faith and repentance. For more information on the orthodox view of soteriology you can read here: Calvinism -Christforums

I highly recommend a video series which entails 3 parts Rosyrain: Amazing Grace - The History and Theology of Calvinism -Christforums

The video has some of the most crucial and pivotal debates and arguments in the history of the church. I believe every Christian should know what is in this video series, because those who do not know their past are bound to repeat it. Most of the "new" arguments we view today are not new, they are circular arguments in time which have appeared throughout the course of 2000 years of church history.

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

The Bible requires faith but it is not blind faith. It is those who reject the Bible who are blind.

If our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. (2 Corinthians 4:3,4)

Those who repent and believe in Christ have their eyes opened so they can understand the Bible. Total faith in everything the Bible says enables us to see the world as it really is.
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

Thanks for the videos links and responses. I am going to review them. I think that God teaches us all a little different based on what is going on in our lives and we need to listen to the lessons being taught and question things. The word of the Bible can be interpreted in many different ways based on what your understanding is of what you read. I think that it is good to question things and look for deeper meaning, not just act or think of what you read at its face value.
                    Comment>

Well i believe this is what separates how strong people's faith is, we are always put through situations and faced with circumstances that taste our limit as well as our faith, therefore i feel that everyone should have blind faith as well as use logic along the way.
                      Comment>
                      Working...
                      X
                      Articles - News - SiteMap