Here is the one book to ask mainline Protestants everything you have always wanted to know...

Christianity and the Environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christianity and the Environment

Hey Guys,

I have a project on christian views of nature for class and wanted to get someone's perspective and possibly a few quotes from the text on the subject. The questions are as followed:
    • How does christian faith and philosophy view the relation between humans and the nature? Where do we fit and why?
    • What duties, or obligations, if any, do humans have toward the natural world? How are these justified or explained?
    • How is your faith responding through action and practical programs to the environmental crisis, from local issues to global warming?
    I'f anyone could help me out that would be perfect, I only need a little of you insight and a quote from the text that comes to mind.
    Thank You Guys!

Hi rpick,

In Genesis 1:28,
    • And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”

Part of subduing the earth can be solving man made pollution, medical illness, etc.

In Psalm 8 the Psalmist writes:
    • 8:4 what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him?

And he follows up with:
    • Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings[b]
    • and crowned him with glory and honor.
    • 6 You have given him dominion over the works of your hands;
    • you have put all things under his feet,
    • 7 all sheep and oxen,
    • and also the beasts of the field,
    • 8 the birds of the heavens, and the fish of the sea,
    • whatever passes along the paths of the seas.

Our duty would be not to the natural world, but to God. To be good stewards towards what he has trusted us with and put beneath our feet.

As to your point about global warming, I ask for scientific evidence demonstrating that there has been global warming produced by mankind. To suggest that we should be aware and suggest that we should act responsibly I take no issue with. However, we can only do each our own part. For example, how much pollution does China contribute when we remain largely responsible in green house gases? And what do we do when a Volcano erupts spewing more into the air than the last hundred or more years of mankind?

Just reiterating that Nature is not my god. And I do not live to appease the gods of the earth. That's how I see most people and the agenda they push from the "left". These "global cooling, global warming, and now climate change" fanatics are worse than some of these crazy end time preachers.

God bless,
    William

Comment>

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof,
      the world and those who dwell therein."
      Psalm 24:1

The earth belongs to God and he has given us the responsibility to take care of it, This care includes protecting the environment.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>
      Working...
      X
      Articles - News - SiteMap