We encourage new members to post a short introduction of themselves in this Christian forum category. Get to know each other and share your common interests or tell us what church you go to etc.

New Christian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Christian

Hi! I'm from the UK and I came to Christianity in April 2016. I was a Christian as a child but fell into agnosticism in my teens. I don't live in an English speaking country so it's been hard to find a Christian community with whom to engage with. I've been to Church a few times in the UK during the summer and had a few conversations with the local reverend, but other than that have been quite closeted. I feel a lot of anti-religious sentiment among friends and family which makes me reluctant to be a "public Christian". I also still struggle with aspects of scripture and although have had some quite remarkable answers to prayer I have not been able to get over my anxiety about the conflict between religious experience and psychological experience as well as co-incidence. I also feel that although in many ways I have become a much happier person I have not become a much more compassionate, less selfish, less angry or much more moral person. I often wonder how God really works and what the nature of my relationship with him is. Does God reach down and fix us when we ask him to, or does he guide us toward fixing ourselves? I ask God to help me overcome spiritual and material problems, but instead of the problems going away by themselves, a solution to the problems suddenly becomes clear and it was something I never thought of doing as an agnostic. On the other hand I asked God to save me from emotional problems and these suddenly disappeared with no action on my part. I have had various experiences during prayer and in religious buildings as well as seemingly involuntary thoughts guiding me to do compassionate things for people I do not like or feel uncomfortable with. Are these the result of engaging with Christianity intellectually or are these experiences from God? Sorry to ramble!

Welcome Rob
    Comment>

Welcome to the forum.

Originally posted by Rob View Post
      I often wonder how God really works and what the nature of my relationship with him is.
      When you are saved you are born again as a member of God's family and God is your Father. The Christian life as analogous to the growth of a child. As you mature you will face trials and tests that will help you build up your spiritual strength. Each of us is an individual and God has absolute knowledge of what each one needs. For this reason your experiences will not be exactly like that of any other Christian but they will be what you need so that you will become the person God wants you to be.
      Clyde Herrin's Blog
      Comment>

That's wonderful that you have decided to become a follower of Jesus Christ. Last April, is not that long ago. I am wondering do you have a Bible which is in modern day English or your native tongue? Without being the Word daily spiritual growth is all but impossible, as well as belonging to a local body of believers. So there are two essential parts you must have to grow in Christ. I tell people to start reading the New Testament by reading Luke first, as Luke wrote two books Luke and Acts as they are his own investigation and eye witness of Christ. From Luke then Mathew John and Mark. I know it seems out of order but is does allow you to understand the life of Jesus better, From there 1, 2, 3.John Then its where you like, but Revelation is best left to a Bible study with a pastor or a study book

What you say your experiencing is not something usual, but unless you start getting into the Word on a very regular daily basis your growth and what you are experiencing will not change much. I have seem a number of new Christians who never got into reading "Gods Word to us" and they went back to where they once were, sort of died on the Vine. I sure don't want that to happen to you Brother in Christ.

I do not know what the Churches are like there, but it is essential you fellowship with other believers is Christ, so find a Bible preaching church to attend. I am a Baptist and perhaps they have a good one there. I really hope you keep getting involved here too.

Brother your Life n Christ Jesus is not a one time event it takes a lifetime to grow in Jesus and loving Him. Time walking with Him and with His Holy Spirit in you have entered a walk in the rest of your life where you will never be alone. Do you know when you became a follower of Jesus Christ the Holy spirit came into your soul to reside? he will guide, direct, and direct you if you allow Him to. H will convict you of sin and as you read the Bible he will help you understand the Word. You may never feel His presents, but He is there, the Bible says he is a down payment sort of, to assure you that you are saved.

Do not become discouraged as Satan is going to do all he can to discourage you, put things in your spiritual path, anything he can to make you give up growing in your faith in Christ. I would be glad to answer as well as others any questions you may have. God bless your pilgrimage as you live temporarily on this earth.
        Comment>

Welcome to the family of God Rob! I still have a lot to learn as a christian myself but that's the beauty of it. Christianity is first and foremost a relationship with our savior and creator (Acts 17:27-28). As we choose to follow and listen to him we grow and our desires become his: we become more like him. Be open to what he wants to do in your life for you or through you (I found he works both of these ways). As for your other question, I believe Christianity is experienced in different ways which most certainly includes intellectually. Any personal questions feel free to ask me, I'll do my best to answer them.
          Comment>

Thanks for all your kind responses. In reply to the question about my study of scripture; I have read the whole of the NIV New Testament in English and am actually re-reading it now. I'm up to Deuteronomy in the NIV Old Testament. I've also been reading a Bible guide to the NIV and listening to sermons online about scripture. Although I have started to reach some understanding about the meaning of certain parts of scripture I am still unsure about the nature of it. To what extent is scripture "inspired" by God and to what extent is it a human expression of the transcendental?
            Comment>

To what extent is scripture "inspired" by God and to what extent is it a human expression of the transcendental?
              All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
              (2 Timothy 3:16-17 ESV)
              Clyde Herrin's Blog
              Comment>

Thanks for all your kind responses. In reply to the question about my study of scripture; I have read the whole of the NIV New Testament in English and am actually re-reading it now. I'm up to Deuteronomy in the NIV Old Testament. I've also been reading a Bible guide to the NIV and listening to sermons online about scripture. Although I have started to reach some understanding about the meaning of certain parts of scripture I am still unsure about the nature of it. To what extent is scripture "inspired" by God and to what extent is it a human expression of the transcendental?
                It's great how eager you are to learn more. Try this article I ran into: The Inspiration of Scripture

This makes me wonder now, myself, how much does a biblical author's writing style effect the words of the Holy Bible?
                Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
                  This makes me wonder now, myself, how much does a biblical author's writing style effect the words of the Holy Bible?
                  God forms each writer's style so it will be right for whatever message he wishes to transmit through that writer.
                  Clyde Herrin's Blog
                  Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                    God forms each writer's style so it will be right for whatever message he wishes to transmit through that writer.
                    That's what I was thinking. That just further confirms that God can use anyone to complete his purposes.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
                      "God forms each writers style"? Perhaps God used the writer style just the way it was to produce the document.

Comment>

Very accurate in what you say. God uses our voice, we become a tool for His use. God uses people the way they are.
                        Comment>

Hi! I'm from the UK and I came to Christianity in April 2016. I was a Christian as a child but fell into agnosticism in my teens. I don't live in an English speaking country so it's been hard to find a Christian community with whom to engage with. I've been to Church a few times in the UK during the summer and had a few conversations with the local reverend, but other than that have been quite closeted. On the other hand I asked God to save me from emotional problems and these suddenly disappeared with no action on my part. I have had various experiences during prayer and in religious buildings as well as seemingly involuntary thoughts guiding me to do compassionate things for people I do not like or feel uncomfortable with. Are these the result of engaging with Christianity intellectually or are these experiences from God? Sorry to ramble!

Good to hear your matters..
                          Brother ... do not give up.. Lord is with you
                          God can strengthen you in His mighty way
                          we will pray for you..
                          we are with you.. for me i will be with you to remember in prayers
                          just stay in faith..God bless you

Comment>

Thank you very much
                            Comment>

Welcome to ChristForums, and welcome to the Body of Christ! :) Good to have you here.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap