A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Abandoning Children?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abandoning Children?

I used to live in Nebraska which had really traditional Orthodox Christian mindsets about how to raise your kids. It was a great strict environment that taught the bible without fluff or a band playing half the time to distract from substance. The only real problem is that when parents couldn't actually deal with their kids, they tend to abandon them and kick them out of the house. Sometimes it was just a kid who wouldn't mind his manners and other times it's when the kid admitted that he was gay, but it never failed that the parents would kick the kid out of the house before they were eighteen. I understand that you have to keep people with different beliefs away from you to some degree, especially if they aren't open to change. But if find that a huge discrepancy between loving your neighbor and abandoning your child for not having your beliefs. I understand kicking them out when they are college age but some of the high schoolers would end up running around all night and sleeping in class because they didn't have a home anymore. There is a huge community of gay teens in Huntington Beach who live on the rooftops of buildings homeless because their parents kicked them out. It just makes me sad that that is the default solution for non-Christian children.

My parents were the overly-strict Christian type. I was kicked out of my house when I was 16 and left to fend for myself. My parents have calmed down a lot since then and we now have a great relationship. However, it took years before I was willing to talk to them again. I don't think it is important to keep non-believers away though, after all Jesus typically associated with the most hated and despised people of his time. It is important to be wary of getting dragged down yourself, or of allowing false believers to affect your beliefs. To me, kicking your children out of the house for not holding your beliefs (or being a professed homosexual, or any other of a myriad of issues) is ignorance of what Christianity actually stands for. You are called to teach these people the Word of God, pray for them, and hopefully help them to see the error of their beliefs. This is doubly important when that individual is your flesh and blood. Children are a blessing from God and denying them because they are being difficult is just unacceptable to me. I have 4 kids of my own (non are old enough for these problems yet, but they are getting there), and I just couldn't imagine abandoning them because they believe differently than me.
    Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
      I used to live in Nebraska which had really traditional Orthodox Christian mindsets about how to raise your kids. It was a great strict environment that taught the bible without fluff or a band playing half the time to distract from substance. The only real problem is that when parents couldn't actually deal with their kids, they tend to abandon them and kick them out of the house. Sometimes it was just a kid who wouldn't mind his manners and other times it's when the kid admitted that he was gay, but it never failed that the parents would kick the kid out of the house before they were eighteen. I understand that you have to keep people with different beliefs away from you to some degree, especially if they aren't open to change. But if find that a huge discrepancy between loving your neighbor and abandoning your child for not having your beliefs. I understand kicking them out when they are college age but some of the high schoolers would end up running around all night and sleeping in class because they didn't have a home anymore. There is a huge community of gay teens in Huntington Beach who live on the rooftops of buildings homeless because their parents kicked them out. It just makes me sad that that is the default solution for non-Christian children.

I think that some Christian parents simply reduce Christianity to outward conformity to rules. In short, Christianity is ONLY about morality, to some. That presents the children with a warped view of Christianity, which is so distorted as to not resemble Christianity at all.

* Obviously, I don't know the parents you speak of, but I think I know the type, so my comments are based on my experience and your description, as I interpret it.

In any case, what you've described isn't good, and my inclination is to blame the parents more than the children.
      Last edited by thatbrian; 11-01-2016, 02:11 AM.
      Comment>

A lot of children are abandoned in our society, but not for their own good. For instance, there are so many single parent homes out there. The kids growing up in these environments often turn to crime.

On the other hand, this thread is primarily dealing with Christian parents who feel their children need to grow up. Nonetheless, the gay teen thing that was mentioned is disturbing.
        Comment>

It doesn't matter how traditional orthodox these parents are. If they are a shred of Christians they know that first command is love. Just to toss out your own child on street is an act of aggression and it is also very much illegal. I don't know how this works in your country, but if you toss an under aged kid on the street you will pretty much end up in a police station in next 5 minutes.

Some things have nothing to do with religion and beliefs, but with law and responsibilities.

Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap