A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Organ Donation Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Organ Donation Question

Organ donation is a selfless way to help extend other people's life or help others live a normal life. I am encouraged to sign an organ donation card but I am wondering if there is any verse in the bible that prohibits organ donation premortem or postmortem. Do I have the right to give my body organs away in life or in death?

Originally posted by bebet View Post
    Organ donation is a selfless way to help extend other people's life or help others live a normal life. I am encouraged to sign an organ donation card but I am wondering if there is any verse in the bible that prohibits organ donation premortem or postmortem. Do I have the right to give my body organs away in life or in death?
    Technically you could say that 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, 19 Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body, would be an argument against donating your organs. But since your dead and your spirit has left it's temporary vessel, is it still a temple? I don't know. But I thing there is case to be made about loving your neighbor and trying to help out even strangers after we've died. Our bodies don't enter into heaven so letting our bodies be used to heal someone sick. The biggest issue with organ trasnplation would be whether they were obtained fairly or harvested by an unwilling victim. As long as it is done ethically, I don't see how donating dead body parts could be wrong.

We could look at this a different way, if it's wrong to donate organs that liver transplants and marrow donations would also be wrong because you are violating your temple. But clearly, you're helping to save someone's life or at least improving their quality of life which is good. If it's fine to do it when you're alive why would it be wrong when you're dead?
    Comment>

I have always looked at the issue of organ donation as a non-issue. The difference I see with bone marrow transplants, liver transplants, etc. is that you can live through it and carry on with your life. To me, when you die, your soul will leave your human body and go to Heaven. Therefore, your body is no longer housing the temple of God (that has left with your soul) and your body will eventually return to the dust from which it was made. I have no problem being an organ donor since when I am dead, this body means nothing anymore and if any part of it can help someone else live longer, then I am happy to do it. I have often argued with a friend of mine about cremation, which I am fine with and he isn't. He is afraid that if he is cremated, there won't be a body to raise at the second coming. I argued that God can do anything, including create him a new body at that time if it is necessary. I also argued that if the second coming is far enough in the future, his body would have been reduced to dust anyways, so cremation makes no difference in the end, just speeds up that process. It is the same for organ donations... if it is just going to turn into dust eventually anyways, then how can donating it to help another individual be against God's will since the body would be gone either way?
      Comment>

I am not aware of any prohibition. Of course this should be with a person's consent. I'd just like to say that I personally oppose organ donation when done through embryonic research. For this reason, I think criteria needs to be established when determining when a person is actually dead.

God bless,
        William
        Comment>

I don't see a problem with it and I know of no prohibition.

Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
            I don't see a problem with it and I know of no prohibition.
            And what about embryonic research? Just asking you to clarify your thoughts on the subject, because this may come into play on the abortion issue. Should the corpses of the dead babies be used for harvesting tissue, organs, etc?
            Comment>

If the soul is no longer in the temple that is the body, then it is just an empty husk and I think it means more to have organs we no longer use go on to enable someone else to live a life more fully.
              Comment>

Originally posted by EntropiaAddict View Post
                To me, when you die, your soul will leave your human body and go to Heaven. Therefore, your body is no longer housing the temple of God (that has left with your soul) and your body will eventually return to the dust from which it was made.
                We are looking forward to a bodily resurrection. Just as Christ had a body, so will we. We won't be disembodied spirits flying around in the clouds. Rather the "new earth" will be our dwelling place.. Rev 21.
                Comment>

I think that God would not have an issue if you decided to become an organ donor. I am one myself. We must remember that everyone will walk with God in Heaven, including people who have lost legs or their ability to use them. We leave our earthly being and only our souls ascend. I would hope that if I could help extend someones life after I pass that my organs would be put to good use. As for the point William brings up with embryonic research, this is a sticky subject. As an adult I can offer my consent to use my body parts, the same cannot be said for a child. I wonder if there are any chapters in the Bible that could be interpreted to offer guidance on this issue?
                  Comment>

Very interesting. I would not be surprised at all if people were able to look to certain verses or phrases in the Bible and interpret it as anti organ donation, but it seems like everyone here is pretty practical about the issue. I think that if there ever were some sort of morality scale that came into play as a deciding factor on things like this, then you would certainly be safe with being an organ donor. You are effectively helping to save someone else's life by donating a part of yours, and I would say that is pretty darn admirable and noble and moral. Thanks for sharing.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

And what about embryonic research? Just asking you to clarify your thoughts on the subject, because this may come into play on the abortion issue. Should the corpses of the dead babies be used for harvesting tissue, organs, etc?
                      Begging your indulgence, I realize that the question was directed to Origen but I do wish to come in on this one.

The prime word is "issue". As long as there IS an issue then there can be no legal clarification. As for myself, I KNOW that once conception has been achieved there is no question that a human life has absolutely and unquestionably begun. With that I also believe that ANY abortive process, experimentation or harvestation should be deemed a felony and all of the actors charged accordingly. There is the issue of rape and incest but I still have not come to grips with any other choice but life. I've been asked about the variances several times and the only reply I have is, "It's what God says about it and not how I feel about it that matters".

Other than the above, If a child dies due to miscarriage, actual and not forced delivery problems, or of some syndrome then I see no real problem with harvestation as long as the parents are informed of their choices and have signed the necessary documentation.

God Bless........Bobby
                      Comment>

Originally posted by thatbrian View Post

We are looking forward to a bodily resurrection. Just as Christ had a body, so will we. We won't be disembodied spirits flying around in the clouds. Rather the "new earth" will be our dwelling place.. Rev 21.
                        I agree with your point. My point is merely that after enough time, the current body that we inhabit will return to dust. This means that for those who have been dead long enough at the time of resurrection, will need to have a new body made for them. If that is the case, then I don't view this current body as being essential to the bodily resurrection, rather that since God will take care of the bodily resurrection for those whose bones have turned to dust, he will also take care of the bodily resurrection for those who have donated their organs and bodies to those in need.
                        Comment>

I agree with your point. My point is merely that after enough time, the current body that we inhabit will return to dust. This means that for those who have been dead long enough at the time of resurrection, will need to have a new body made for them. If that is the case, then I don't view this current body as being essential to the bodily resurrection, rather that since God will take care of the bodily resurrection for those whose bones have turned to dust, he will also take care of the bodily resurrection for those who have donated their organs and bodies to those in need.
                          Very well said. It is paramount that we be gentle with one another when speaking of such mysteries for there are some that will be revealed to us only when we meet at the very feet of God.
                          Believe whatever it is you are convicted to believe when it comes to such matters for it does not take away nor add to the very essence of our faith which is again the treasure held by Jesus Christ alone which is named Salvation.

Know this above all else: God is Just. Whether we err or not by the giving of an organ to save another's life, God is Just!

Comment>

Originally posted by Bobby Cole View Post
                            Very well said. It is paramount that we be gentle with one another when speaking of such mysteries for there are some that will be revealed to us only when we meet at the very feet of God.
                            Believe whatever it is you are convicted to believe when it comes to such matters for it does not take away nor add to the very essence of our faith which is again the treasure held by Jesus Christ alone which is named Salvation.

Know this above all else: God is Just. Whether we err or not by the giving of an organ to save another's life, God is Just!
                            Thanks. As my dad is fond of saying in reference to these types of issues, "It all comes out in the wash". In other words, believe however you want to believe as that particular issue may be a "fun" point of contention, but in the end, your particular viewpoint vs. mine on this issue has no effect on whether or not you are a believer. This kind of mentality allows for discussion in all kinds of interesting, but ultimately unanswerable, areas of the Bible: What will the end times look like, was the Earth created in 7 days as we know them now, etc. I often find it interesting to hear and argue what other people's viewpoints are on these issues, always keeping in mind that just because we disagree on HOW it happened does not mean that we disagree THAT it happened.
                            Comment>

Thanks. As my dad is fond of saying in reference to these types of issues, "It all comes out in the wash". In other words, believe however you want to believe as that particular issue may be a "fun" point of contention, but in the end, your particular viewpoint vs. mine on this issue has no effect on whether or not you are a believer. This kind of mentality allows for discussion in all kinds of interesting, but ultimately unanswerable, areas of the Bible: What will the end times look like, was the Earth created in 7 days as we know them now, etc. I often find it interesting to hear and argue what other people's viewpoints are on these issues, always keeping in mind that just because we disagree on HOW it happened does not mean that we disagree THAT it happened.
                              Just emphasizing the fact that Bobby made the distinction between essential and non essential doctrine. Essential doctrine does have a direct impact upon whether we worship rightly or worship a god made in our own image. Such a projection (the wrong one) would be idolatry and even blasphemy. Some would even go so far as to say the consequences are so dire that it is better to not dive too deeply in the Mysteries of the Lord, for one may be found guilty of error even if it should be contained within only their own thought life.

God bless,
                              William
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap