A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

CALVINIST - Teaser Trailer (HD)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CALVINIST - Teaser Trailer (HD)

I really really like that video.

Since my wife and I have embraced Calvinist or Reformed Theology, it's been pretty lonely. I had to question if we are on the right path multiple times to be sure.

Thanks for sharing the video William!
    Comment>

Wow that's a great trailer, the full video must be way better for the looks of it.
      I'll definitely see it in the future when I have the time. Looks good but interesting too, and that's what makes a great audiovisual product.
      Comment>

Even though I see them all of the time, for some reason I always forget how crazy and good movie trailers have gotten. Even a little bit ago they were not like they are now, and they are just like mini movies in themselves. I used to never be one of those people who go to the movies early for the previews, and in fact often mocked them, but I have made the switch, and I am one of them now. Not all of the time, but sometimes. Anyways, this is a good one and it looks very intriguing. Thank you for sharing this.
        Comment>

Originally posted by AWorkInProgress View Post
          I really really like that video.

Since my wife and I have embraced Calvinist or Reformed Theology, it's been pretty lonely. I had to question if we are on the right path multiple times to be sure.

Thanks for sharing the video William!
          Same here AworkinProgress. My wife and I embraced Reformed Theology some two-three years ago. The most difficult thing was deciding whether to leave our then church community, but we made the move. Fortunately for us we were able to locate a Reformed church within a hour away.

God bless,
          William
          Comment>

Thanks for sharing William.

I been keeping on eye on a church that is reformed, but it's too far for us at the moment. Our transportation is not 100% reliable at the moment. I wanted to come into obedience with being part of the body of Christ. Lord has opened a door with a church home group that came out of the ashes of other churches that fell apart. They are the only local option we can even remotely trust due to we know one of the leaders.

I told them where my family stands on the Reformed faith and they don't have a problem with it. It's a start, but it does suck not having unity on the same understanding of the Word of God. Almost feel like I being put into a position of being an advocate for it. Well we will see.

Take care William!
            Comment>

I have been a Calvinist for two and a half decades, not because it particularly appealed to me, but because it passed the two great tests that I had to try and find Truth. Scripture (the Word of God) supports it, and the empirical evidence of life also support it.

It has always been unpopular and it has always been easy for people to misrepresent what it teaches. However, I take comfort in a belief that constantly reminds me that it is all about Jesus and just how great my God really is.

So for the last 15 years, I have been the Calvinist at a Pentacostal Church challenging anything and everything that isn't supported by the word of God. We are the most Reformed Pentacostals you will ever meet. To God be the Glory.

So I know what you both mean about feeling all alone as a Calvinist.
              As modern Cavinists, we are missionaries to the Laodicean Church.
              Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                I have been a Calvinist for two and a half decades, not because it particularly appealed to me, but because it passed the two great tests that I had to try and find Truth. Scripture (the Word of God) supports it, and the empirical evidence of life also support it.

It has always been unpopular and it has always been easy for people to misrepresent what it teaches. However, I take comfort in a belief that constantly reminds me that it is all about Jesus and just how great my God really is.

So for the last 15 years, I have been the Calvinist at a Pentacostal Church challenging anything and everything that isn't supported by the word of God. We are the most Reformed Pentacostals you will ever meet. To God be the Glory.

So I know what you both mean about feeling all alone as a Calvinist.
                As modern Cavinists, we are missionaries to the Laodicean Church.
                All I know is that your fellowship has been a blessing to us members here, Arthur.

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

All I know is that your fellowship has been a blessing to us members here, Arthur.

God bless,
                  William
                  This place has been good for me as well.
                  It was nice to discuss and debate with other Christians where 'Christian' didn't mean Jehovah's Witness or Mormon.

I learned a new word "Monergism" and was presented with an argument from Scripture compelling enough to call into question my views on infant baptism. (I'm still not 100% convinced on that issue, one way or the other, but I no longer see it from the Reformed Baptist perspective as being definitely 'wrong').
                  Comment>

I am not familiar with "Calvinist," but this trailer made me more open to looking into it. It'd be interesting to look into something new. I'm assuming that if they are willing to create a documentary about it, that it must be interesting enough to investigate. Someone above mentioned reformed theology. Is a Calvinist someone that follows reformed theology? I know I could do a quick google search, but I really enjoy hearing facts and opinions from direct sources. It'd be awesome if someone could enlighten me on this. :)
                    Comment>

I no more concede to a view simply because it is promoted by Mr Calvin than I do to a view simply because it is promoted by any other post apostolic man, be it Mr Spurgeon or whoever.
                      I rely upon God's Holy Spirit to 'write truth onto the fleshy tablets of my heart' regardless of who wrote what I might be reading.
                      By internet search I found the following and, as with all that God's Holy Spirit implants with my heart, its truth (or otherwise) will either consolidate or evaporate over the process of time. (BTW I'm only responding to 'Calvinism' yet again because of the frequency which others keep bringing it to the fore).

"Charles Spurgeon proclaimed divine sovereignty yet he also preached man's responsibility, although he admitted that he didn't understand how they fit together.
                      Consider his exhortations to the sinner: "Believe in Jesus, and though you are now in slippery places your feet shall soon be set upon a rock of safety"; "Sinner fly to Christ"; "O sinner, humble yourself under the mighty hand of God..."
                      And he preached that it is the sinner's responsibility to trust in the Savior: "Trust Christ with your soul and He will save it. I know you will not do this unless the Holy Spirit constrains you, but this does not remove your responsibility."
                      The Arminian and Calvinist views are diametrically opposed to each other, yet believers on both sides point to a multitude of verses to back their theology. If you choose one view or the other, don't let your choice cut you off from others who may believe differently.
                      Is it possible that the two opposing truths can walk together? It is if all that is missing is some information for them to harmonize. The day will come when we will understand all things (see 1 Corinthians 13:12), and it is then that we will be glad that we didn't cause division in the Church, and "sow discord among brethren," something God hates (Proverbs 6:19).
                      Sadly, Church history has shown us that Christ-centered men of God have clashed over these issues (e.g., Wesley and Whitefield). More recently I have seen brethren make a theological stand and much to their dismay they were marked by their home church as troublemakers. Fine missionaries have been pulled from the field, pastors fired from the ministry, and churches have split because of this issue.
                      So, if you do think you have it worked out, be careful that you strive to keep unity among the brethren, and then focus on your God-given commission. Firefighters exist to fight fires, not to fight each other. When the firing squad stands in a circle, it makes the enemy happy.
                      Every moment that you and I spend arguing about theological interpretation is time we have lost forever that could have been spent in prayer for the unsaved or in seeking to save that which is lost.
                      I wouldn't be surprised if much of the contention for this issue isn't based on a supposed love of the truth, but is rooted in sinful pride."

(Quote from a mere man by the name of Ray Comfort)
                      Comment>

Originally posted by lexinonomous View Post
                        I am not familiar with "Calvinist," but this trailer made me more open to looking into it. It'd be interesting to look into something new. I'm assuming that if they are willing to create a documentary about it, that it must be interesting enough to investigate. Someone above mentioned reformed theology. Is a Calvinist someone that follows reformed theology? I know I could do a quick google search, but I really enjoy hearing facts and opinions from direct sources. It'd be awesome if someone could enlighten me on this. :)
                        Calvinism and Reformed Theology are the same thing.
                        The followers of Calvin were the loudest advocates that people had no ability to save themselves, so God had to do all of the salvation work.
                        On the other side of the debate were the followers of Arminius who argued that each unsaved person was a mixture of good and evil so that salvation was more of a cooperation between God and the sinner.

It became convenient to label the views after the early advocates Calvinism (aka. Reformed) vs. Arminianism.

(I suspect William has a lot somewhere on this site about this.)
                        Comment>

Originally posted by lexinonomous View Post
                          Calvinism is partly synonymous with Reformed Theology, though Calvinism covers soteriology, there are other theological perspectives under the umbrella of Reformed Theology. Reformed covers the Five Solae - Lutheran/Calvinism soteriology, Covenant theology, Cessationism, Amillennialism, and are Creedal and Confessional.

In short, I am Calvinist not because I choose to follow John Calvin, but because I believe Calvinism is the best method to teach Biblical salvation.

God bless,
                          William
                          Comment>

I'm also including an article: What is Reformed Christian Theology? -Christforums

It is important to know that Catholics and Protestants are the result of a great schism in the catholic (universal) church. It is the contention of Protestants, namely Reformers that the early church began to fall away in doctrine, and when attempting to realign her they were disciplined. I think it would be misinformation to suggest that early Reformer were trying to destroy the church. Whether or not the Catholics actually contend that they are the TRUE CHURCH is irrelevant, especially when held to foundational standards such as the Five Solae which came out of the Reformation. Our Christian History sub-forum has lots of information on this, and a quick search will uncover some relevant accounts by credible historians. Likewise, we also have a Reformed Theology sub-forum under the Apologetics and Theology category in case anyone is actually interested in studying doctrine.

I'm really interested in the movie "Calvinist". I hope it contends with Amazing Grace - The History and Theology of Calvinism -Christforums

An excellent documentary on the history of the early Reformers, the debates in the church and resulting Reformation doctrine.

God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap