A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

Becoming Numb To The Inappropriate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming Numb To The Inappropriate

I don't know when it started but at some point I don't hear cuss words anymore on the radio. I mean, I hear them but I don't feel anything when I hear them because they've become so common placed that they just become background noise. I'm even doing it to the more sexual lyrics of songs. I can't count the times I went to look up a music video for a song I thought I liked and realized what they were actually talking about. It's kind of embarrassing that I don't seem to notice things that used to shock me a couple years ago. I don't know if it's simply because I'm older or if it's the culture but it's everywhere. It's become a struggle to find a song on the radio that isn't about sex, drugs, and filled with crude language. Am I imagining things or are things getting worse on the radio?

You aren't imagining it. Things are getting worse.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

The question I have is why are you subjecting yourself to things that make you numb to the inappropriate?
      Comment>

This thread reminds me of a quote by Alexander Pope:

“Vice is a monster of so frightful mien
        As to be hated needs but to be seen;
        Yet seen too oft, familiar with her face,
        We first endure, then pity, then embrace.”

Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

So many things going on in today's world, but like Solomon wrote, "there is nothing new under the sun," so why are we, in general, becoming so much more jaded to sinful ways and language than ever before?
          William alluded to a way to maintain some bit of sobriety by simply turning off the radio and other media that might perchance give us the impression that a reprobate mind is quite alright, but what of every day life? Is life among our friends,coworkers, those places we must frequent and indeed, our very government getting so outwardly immoral and un-Godly that we are becoming so jaded as to believe it is just "business as usual"?

I believe that in order to make a small bit of sense of things, one might read or even better, memorize the 1st chapter of Romans starting in particular with the 17th verse to the end. Even though Paul's analogy of the day in his time was posed as a statement it can be partially read as a question. Why do people wish to worship the created more so than the creator? Why, knowing that God will pass judgment do people do those things that they do which will gain them only those things of the flesh but lose their very soul in the end?

I personally believe it is what we have inadvertently asked (or not) ourselves to accept as status quo. Accepting that which is unethical or immoral is a choice we must make for it is as my grandfather preached: Sit not in the house of the sinful lest you become judged as being one of them.

By accepting that which we know is unseemly to a Christian we also open the door for more insanity to prevail in the same amount of space where righteous living used to be common place.
          It is because of that same acceptance that yes, we do indeed experience more immorality and unGodly behavior than ever before in my life time. Perhaps a visit to Ephesians Chapter 6 might be appropriate. It is indeed time to put on the full armor of God!

God Bless...........Bobby
          Comment>

As it was in the days of Noah, so shall it before Jesus comes. Things will keep getting worse but few people will notice because they have become inured to sin. They don't notice it anymore because of the devil's deceptions which have got many of them to believe that once someone dies there's nothing beyond it, there've decided to embrace a hedonistic lifestyle. Why deny yourself anything if there's only oblivion once you die?
            Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
              The question I have is why are you subjecting yourself to things that make you numb to the inappropriate?
              It's difficult not to sometimes. Unless you only listen to Christian radio stations, only watch old classics on television and never, ever, ever go to the movies unless a Christian movie is being played, you are going to be subjected to this stuff. I have noticed it in my life as well, with the curse words on TV that only seem to get worse each year, the innuendos that become more obvious with each passing day, the 'sexy' profile pictures that make you embarrassed that you ever joined Facebook in the first place. Stuff like that. Unless you are living in a bubble, completely controlling every aspect of your life, this stuff creeps up on you and invades your totally Christian attitude. it's easier to continue watching a movie because the plot is interesting and ignore the bad language and sex or whatever, than it is to walk out and be frustrated because you wanted to see how the film ended, so I totally understand how we Christians can become jaded to the bad stuff that we find all around us every day.
              Comment>

Originally posted by Novelangel View Post

It's difficult not to sometimes. Unless you only listen to Christian radio stations, only watch old classics on television and never, ever, ever go to the movies unless a Christian movie is being played, you are going to be subjected to this stuff. I have noticed it in my life as well, with the curse words on TV that only seem to get worse each year, the innuendos that become more obvious with each passing day, the 'sexy' profile pictures that make you embarrassed that you ever joined Facebook in the first place. Stuff like that. Unless you are living in a bubble, completely controlling every aspect of your life, this stuff creeps up on you and invades your totally Christian attitude. it's easier to continue watching a movie because the plot is interesting and ignore the bad language and sex or whatever, than it is to walk out and be frustrated because you wanted to see how the film ended, so I totally understand how we Christians can become jaded to the bad stuff that we find all around us every day.
                It is indeed a quandrary that we must face in order to just live everyday life.
                But, interestingly enough, there are several sects within a couple of denominations that protect themselves from the world by literally keeping themselves out of it. Indeed, not only several sects within, but whole denominations have their own way to keep out of the fray of added temptations.

The Assemblies and Churches of God do not recommend going to movies and dances and some sects within those even ban TV and computer use. Just as a side note, even the use of makeup and jewelry beyond a watch and wedding ring are also not recommended in some instances.

The Anabaptists, which Ken Anderson is well equipped to report on, have a couple of divisions which stay away from modern technology and machinery and live in harmony as a community well separated from other types of environments.

The Church of Christ, because there is no mention of musical instruments in the New Testament, do not use anything other than their voices during the praise and worship time of their services. How far that extends, I truly have not investigated even though it might be of interest I just haven't bothered myself about the principle.

There are many who view the practice of doing without certain modern day "worldly" items to be that of some sacrifice on the part of the worshipper. Now, I have spoken to many people who "do without" and I believe that they are quite happy with the situation. Those parts of the world that might lead them into other temptations are made void which I truly find very inspiring to say the least.
                They take, "we are in the world, but we are not of the world" one or two steps futher in their quest for a closer walk with the Lord.
                Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
                  Oh, I have to travel a couple hours to and from work with only a radio. My truck doesn't even have cassette player so I play whatever is on the radio. There are really two options to listen to, talk shows and music. I can't stand listening to people talk and argue on the radio while I drive. So my only option is to listen to music or accidentally fall asleep while driving. For about fifteen minutes, I have a Christian station that plays music while I'm driving but the rest of them usually are talk shows. So I've tried the country station, hiphop/r&b, and pop station. But there is no relief in sight. All the songs seem to revolve around getting drunk, laid, and cussing. I grew up with older country songs that used to be cleaner, but even they are falling into party songs. What happened to singing about emotions and falling in love instead of drugs and sex? But it's nice to know it's not only me.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
                    I don't know when it started but at some point I don't hear cuss words anymore on the radio. I mean, I hear them but I don't feel anything when I hear them because they've become so common placed that they just become background noise. I'm even doing it to the more sexual lyrics of songs. I can't count the times I went to look up a music video for a song I thought I liked and realized what they were actually talking about. It's kind of embarrassing that I don't seem to notice things that used to shock me a couple years ago. I don't know if it's simply because I'm older or if it's the culture but it's everywhere. It's become a struggle to find a song on the radio that isn't about sex, drugs, and filled with crude language. Am I imagining things or are things getting worse on the radio?
                    The issue isn't the words that are used. Yes, foul language is not correct usage of grammar, and can sometimes promote poor verbal skills. However, the words aren't the issue, different words have meant bad things, or different things at many points in different times in history. There is no definitive "Bad" words. They're just that, words, and they change with time. But what you should really be worried about is, are they using these words in a positive way? Are these words helping them get a good point across? Are they using these words to lift people up? Make them laugh perhaps? If they're swearing just to swear, or to be negative, then, Houston, we have a problem.
                    A thing related to this is, guns, weapons. Is it the gun that kills people? Does the gun pull the trigger? Did the gun intentionally shoot that person? No, because it's an inanimate object. It's not about the tool, it's about how it's used.

Side note: Unless you're listening to death metal and gangster rap, it's rare to hear anymore than the world "Hell" on the radio. And it's rare to hear of drugs on the radio, again, unless you're listening to gangster rap. Sex? Not really. Romance? Yeah, there's lots of that on the radio.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Bobby Cole View Post

There are many who view the practice of doing without certain modern day "worldly" items to be that of some sacrifice on the part of the worshipper. Now, I have spoken to many people who "do without" and I believe that they are quite happy with the situation. Those parts of the world that might lead them into other temptations are made void which I truly find very inspiring to say the least.
                      They take, "we are in the world, but we are not of the world" one or two steps futher in their quest for a closer walk with the Lord.
                      This is so true. I once went completely without television for several years and never missed it one iota. Today I watch some TV, but I prefer a station that only runs golden oldies, classics from the 70's and earlier. I find them to be much more appropriate to the type of stuff I need to see as a Christian, plus they take me back to my youth, which is fun to revisit from time to time. I never really understood why some churches do away with this or that... but you really gave me pause for thought on this one.

Comment>

Not just radio, but on television and in the movies as well. I think we do in part become numb to it, or at least I have. I am not proud of it, but when you hear things all the time it is hard not to become desensitized to it. I rarely watch television shows or movies anymore. I do still listen to the radio because I love music, but I often have to change the station because the songs are not appropriate. The sad thing is you can love a song, but realize the meaning is not what you think.Guaranteed that the young people listening to them know what the song is referring to.
                        Comment>

Very true Tiff121, and here is a good example of what almost everyone deems as being a "Godly" type of song.

What Christian has not admired the song, "From a Distance" sung by Bette Midler?
                          It speaks of God, peace, and all sorts of wonderful things including a little nasty strife but who has really listened to the words as they are placed in the song? The song says that the world is going to Hades in a hand basket but God only sees things "from a distance" so to Him everything is hunky dory.
                          Listen to it carefully and you will "hear" what the song is really saying.

We hear everything but we need to train ourselves to LISTEN to everything around us. Once a person has mastered this type of listening then very little can be hidden from the hearer.

There is another kind of weird thing going on in music which is audible messaging on the subliminal side and also back masking but that is for another thread and another time.

God Bless............Bobby
                          Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
                            My truck doesn't even have cassette player so I play whatever is on the radio.
                            I bought my first "brand new" car way back in 1982. It was a Toyota Tercel, and it included only a radio. I had a portable cassette player that I had received as a Christmas gift in 1975-ish, and I used that in my car for my "long" work commute of 35-45 minutes. It took some real thought to come up with these dates, mind you!

Nowadays, my Hyundai electrical system sometimes doesn't allow me to use my radio/CD player/media/speakers (of course, it always works just fine when the car is at the dealer's, but the fix is for my husband to re-connect the fuse). So, on days when I can't use the car sound system, I listen to my iPhone iTunes while I drive. Without earphones or headphones, and without connecting to the sound system, it sounds just as bad as my Panasonic cassette player did 34 years ago. But I make do, because sometimes the void of music is worse than the bad sound.

I like my iTunes music. I like Christian music radio. Sometimes I even like mainstream radio. But I don't like to be offended. I'll put up with silence much better than I tolerate offending lyrics/news/commentaries, etc.

Explore your options! Decide what you're willing to tolerate, and just maybe a "poor sound system" will eventually be easier to tolerate than a daily deluge of filth.
                            Comment>

Originally posted by AGustOfWind View Post
                              Unless you're listening to death metal and gangster rap, it's rare to hear anymore than the world "Hell" on the radio. And it's rare to hear of drugs on the radio, again, unless you're listening to gangster rap. Sex? Not really. Romance? Yeah, there's lots of that on the radio.
                              Um, I have to disagree. "Cocaine" by Eric Clapton way back in the '70's comes to my immediate mind. Much of rock music has had references to "sex, drugs and rock and roll", which is exactly why those three words have been coined together for so long.

Even now, I listen to some of Neil Diamond's songs from the '70's and blush. He and Tom Jones made their careers out of sexual material, but it definitely was not as blatant as the current music.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap