A Christian forum to join in general communication with people from around the world.

People In Heaven Praying For Us

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People In Heaven Praying For Us

I'm currently reading the book, Heaven is For Real. There is an interesting section in there where the little boy, Colton, tells his dad that while he was visiting Heaven, he prayed for his dad that the Holy Spirit would help him. This is a new concept for me as I have never read about it in the Bible. I'm wondering if anyone can help me find a Bible verse where people in Heaven are praying for the living here on Earth? I kind of like the idea of my deceased loved ones interceding with God on my behalf, but is this Biblical? Is there a precedent for it in the Bible that I have yet to discover? I guess I just never thought of those in Heaven as wanting to look down on us and keep track of us as we continue through our lives. The thought of being watched by others besides God Himself, bothers me a bit. Take my grandparents for example. If they didn't watch every single thing I did while they were alive, would they be up there in Heaven right now, wanting to see everything I do? That just seems weird to me somehow. On the other hand, Colton wasn't really dead but was just "visiting" Heaven. Even though there were an awful lot of distractions in Heaven from what he describes, he still thought of his earthly daddy. Verses, anyone? Thank you.

I am skeptical about people who claim to have gone to heaven and returned. They contradict each other and also contradict what the Bible teaches about heaven. Perhaps you should read this:

5 reasons why that guy didn’t really go to Heaven… | Watch Your Life and Doctrine Closely…

As far as I know the Bible doesn't say anything about people in heaven praying for us but it does teach that people in hell pray for us. In the story of the rich man and Lazarus, found in Luke 16, the rich man prayed that his brothers could escape being sent to where he was.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      I am skeptical about people who claim to have gone to heaven and returned. They contradict each other and also contradict what the Bible teaches about heaven. Perhaps you should read this:

5 reasons why that guy didn’t really go to Heaven… | Watch Your Life and Doctrine Closely…

As far as I know the Bible doesn't say anything about people in heaven praying for us but it does teach that people in hell pray for us. In the story of the rich man and Lazarus, found in Luke 16, the rich man prayed that his brothers could escape being sent to where he was.
      Thank you for the link, theophilus. I had forgotten about that verse about God restricting talk about Heaven. It's almost as if He doesn't want our free will to be compromised by all the positive talk. There are certain things that He wants us to know about Heaven now and other things that are to be kept private until we arrive there. That is very true about people in hell praying for the living, I've read that verse as well. But if those in hell are capable of doing that, it stands to reason perhaps, that people in Heaven can do the same if they so desire. They may enjoy it so much there that they want all of their living family members to enjoy it as well. Who am I to limit the power of God, but I do like to have things backed up by His Word.
      Comment>

Last a year a boy who'd told a story similar to Colton Burpo's recanted his story, said he'd lied about going to heaven. I've read numerous NDEs and other literature written by New Agers who want to mislead Christians by telling them things they want to hear. Died, met family in heaven. Most of them are lies. Isaiah's prophecy:"“For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind." No one is praying for any sinners in heaven. Only Jesus is interceding for us. What I never can get is why people want to believe someone, a person they knew is praying for them when we have Jesus [the Son of God who is forever by God's side] reprsenting us in heaven.
        Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
          The rich man is not asking Abraham to pray for his brothers but is making a request for someone to visit them. The Greek word is ἐρωτάω means "to ask, to ask a question, request." The phrase "I pray thee" is a common expression in the KJV meaning "to ask a question," or "request something."
          Last edited by Origen; 05-17-2016, 07:52 AM.
          Comment>

Then there was Abraham's response: "They have Moses and the prophets. Let them hear them."
            Comment>

I like that response, Stratcat. While God isn't saying that people in Heaven can't pray for us on Earth, He is saying that we have a certain responsibility to do some research for ourselves and read what is written. We have our Bible, old and new testaments, so we can learn for ourselves the things we need to know. But, still, I wonder if our loved ones in Heaven do sometimes talk to Jesus about us. Perhaps they don't kneel down with closed eyes and clasped hands, but I think the relationship there is a bit different, more of a one-on-one friendship type of deal, a real relationship. So, basically, they could talk to Jesus the same way I talk to my parents or husband or other family and friends. Perhaps it's not so much prayer as it is a general conversation. I'm sure they have a lot to talk about in Heaven, and who wouldn't want to talk directly to Jesus Himself? It is an interesting thing to think about at least.
              Comment>

I cannot think of any specific biblical references to the idea, but I certainly know that it is a part of my belief and I know that all those that I have lost are up there watching over us. I guess now that I think about whether or not they are actively praying or not might be unsure, but I am pretty sure that that is not the debate that you are talking about here, at least I hope not. It is a good feeling knowing that for me, and it helps me cope with the loss of people that I love.
                Comment>

Originally posted by rz3300 View Post
                  I cannot think of any specific biblical references to the idea, but I certainly know that it is a part of my belief and I know that all those that I have lost are up there watching over us. I guess now that I think about whether or not they are actively praying or not might be unsure, but I am pretty sure that that is not the debate that you are talking about here, at least I hope not. It is a good feeling knowing that for me, and it helps me cope with the loss of people that I love.
                  It's always a good idea to have a coping mechanism of some kind when we lose someone. If it helps to think of that person watching over us and praying for us, it's not a bad thing for us, emotionally. Whether that person is actually doing that or not is irrelevant as the point is that we need to feel that they are. I started this thread because I had never thought about this much before, even though I've lost people I love over the years, and I wondered if there was a Biblical precedent for what the little boy told his parents in Heaven is For Real. Perhaps there isn't too much written about the topic, but it is interesting from a discussion standpoint, I think.
                  Comment>

Don't forget about Faith. Does it really matter who is praying for you? If you believe (or someone else believes) that a lost loved one is in heaven praying for them, Is there harm in that? I don't think so. Both my parents are in heaven, my faith has led me to believe this to be true. I feel their presence in me and I am comforted knowing they are looking after me and my loved ones here on earth.
                    Comment>

Originally posted by Apollo22 View Post
                      Don't forget about Faith. Does it really matter who is praying for you? If you believe (or someone else believes) that a lost loved one is in heaven praying for them, Is there harm in that? I don't think so. Both my parents are in heaven, my faith has led me to believe this to be true. I feel their presence in me and I am comforted knowing they are looking after me and my loved ones here on earth.
                      It doesn't matter to me who is praying for me. I know that I have people doing that every day and they are still here with us on Earth. I just thought this would be an interesting debate as I personally have never seen anything of this in the Bible before and wondered if anyone could supply verses that support it. I believe very strongly in faith, yet I often have more faith in God than I do in other people. I think this is probably natural, because we tend to think of God as a faithful Person. I know that Jesus intercedes for us with the Father all the time, which I suppose could be construed as a form of prayer, so perhaps that is the Biblical concept that I seek right there.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Novelangel View Post
                        I just thought this would be an interesting debate as I personally have never seen anything of this in the Bible before and wondered if anyone could supply verses that support it.
                        There are none.

Comment>

We're not told a lot about what to expect in heaven, or even details about when or how we get there, which is why there are so many conflicting ideas. Interestingly, while more people believe in some version of heaven than there are those who believe in hell, the Biblical doctrine of heaven hasn't received the same kind of attention.

Of the hundreds of occurrences of the word "heaven" in the Bible, nearly all of them are derivatives of the just two words -- the Hebrew word shamayim and the Greek word ouranos. Literally, the Hebrew word means "the heights," and the Greek word has a similar meaning, "that which is raised up," and as an English word, its primary meaning is "that which is above."

When the word occurs in the Bible, unless it is used figuratively, it refers to one of three realms: the atmospheric space immediately above us, to the heavens that embrace the universe, or to heaven as the living place of God. These are the three definitions of ouranos in Greek literature.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." -- Isaiah 55:9-11 (NKJV)

In Job 38:29 and Deuteronomy 33:13, frost and dew are said to come from heaven. Perhaps the story of God casting down great stones from heaven at the battle of Gibeon (Joshua 10:11) refers to large hailstones. In more than one place, the Bible refers to thunder as coming from heaven, and clouds are identified with atmospheric heavens. Genesis speaks of birds from heaven. These are the atmospheric heavens.

However, in both the Old and New Testaments, heaven is referred to as the vast space above, which includes the sun, the moon, the stars, and the planets. Genesis 1:14 refers to lights in the firmament of the heavens.

"How have you fallen from heaven, O morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations! You said in your heart, 'I will ascend to heaven: I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit enthroned on the mount of assembly, on the utmost heights of the sacred mountain. I will ascend above the tops of the clouds: I will make myself like the Most High.' But you are brought down to the grave, to the depths of the pit." -- Isaiah 14:12-15 (NKJV)

Amos and Job also speak of the planets and stars as being heaven, and some of the constellations are named in Job.

In the Old Testament, the Hebrew people were forbidden to worship these stellar bodies (Exodus 20:4), and were condemned for making sacrifices to the "queen of heaven" in Jeremiah 44:17-25. In the Old Testament, "heaven" is generally translated from shamayim, but sometimes the word shahaq is used, and variously rendered as either "clouds" or "sky." These are the celestial heavens.

1 Kings 8 indicates that the heaven of heavens cannot contain God, and that God is everywhere in the universe, yet heaven is defined elsewhere as the living place of God.

"For this is what the high and lofty One says -- he who lives forever, whose name is holy: 'I live in a high and holy place, but also with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit.'" -- Isaiah 57:15 (NKJV)

Often, God is said to be looking down from heaven, and is referred to as Lord, the God of heaven. Biblical words that refer to heaven as a swelling or habitation refer to the heaven as the abode of God. We know from Scripture that heaven was home to the angels as well.

In his writings, particularly in Philippians, Paul says that believers will have bodies that are conformed to that of the Lord Jesus Christ, and elsewhere in the New Testament, believers are referred to as citizens of heaven. Colossians 3:1 tells us to set our hearts on the things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God, and to set our minds on things above, not on earthly things. "For you died and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you will also appear with him in glory."

Scripturally, heaven is one of the major components of the universe, the place where God has put the sun, moon and stars. It is also the place where God lives, from which He reigns, and to which Christ ascended in order to prepare a place for us. When we become Christians, we become citizens of heaven. But we don't know a lot about it.

Some people consider heaven to be a place of perfect peace and tranquility, but others note that the present heaven is the place from which an angry God reveals His wrath, into which the powers of evil intrude and engage in war, from which the saints cry out, and which will eventually be destroyed and renewed. We are told that, as Christians, we will experience a new heaven and a new earth, which will be free of all pain, sorrow and suffering.

Heaven is mentioned several times in Scripture, but we're not told a lot about it. I don't see any evidence that people visit heaven and then return, although some have claimed to have done so, and I don't know what things will be like there. Christ told the thief on the cross that he would be with Him in heaven that day, but many Christians have found evidence in Scripture to indicate that we don't go to heaven until after Christ returns. Or does that refer only to the new heaven?

If Christians who have died are in heaven today, are they aware of what is going on here on earth? Do they follow the day to day struggles of their loved ones who are still on earth? If so, then it might seem logical that they may be able to intercede, but that's reading stuff into Scripture that isn't there, I fear.
                          Comment>

Actually, there is someone in heaven praying for us. Jesus is praying to the Father on our behalf. If he is praying for us, it doesn't matter whether anyone else in heaven is.
                            Clyde Herrin's Blog
                            Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
                              Last a year a boy who'd told a story similar to Colton Burpo's recanted his story, said he'd lied about going to heaven. I've read numerous NDEs and other literature written by New Agers who want to mislead Christians by telling them things they want to hear. Died, met family in heaven. Most of them are lies. Isaiah's prophecy:"“For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth, and the former things shall not be remembered or come into mind." No one is praying for any sinners in heaven. Only Jesus is interceding for us. What I never can get is why people want to believe someone, a person they knew is praying for them when we have Jesus [the Son of God who is forever by God's side] reprsenting us in heaven.
                              Not only that, but his parents tried to get the publishing house to stop selling the story after he recanted the story. But the publishing house refuses to stop selling it because of how much money it makes. It's more likely that the reason everyone's personal encounters of heaven and hell when they temporarily died, that you mind creates what it grew up learning about with a collection of you past. I think people deep down know where they are going even if they hope otherwise but the mind makes a logical conclusion. I don't think people who aren't personally chosen by God, or completely dead will ever know the truth.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap