Discuss everything from courtship to dating and friends and co-workers to the in-laws. (This forum is for discussing ALL relationships, not just romantic ones.)

Finding a Spouse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Spouse

“He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord” (Prov. 18:22).
    - Proverbs 18:22

Before we look at our main point for today, let us again recognize the goodness of the single life. Because marriage is so highly esteemed in Protestantism, it is easy for the unmarried to feel like second-class citizens in the household of faith. Too many of us assume there has to be something wrong with those who remain single their entire life. However, being single does not make someone less of a person; remember, the Lord Jesus Christ was a single man! Moreover, Paul even tells us the single life is better in many ways than married life because it enables men and women to devote themselves wholly to the work of the church (1 Cor. 7:25–40).

Paul also recognizes that the Lord has not given everyone the grace and gift for unmarried life, and so it is not wrong to look for a spouse (vv. 36–37). In fact, today’s passage is one of many biblical texts that commend marriage. How then does a person who desires marriage find a husband or wife? How can we help a single friend or family member locate a good spouse if they want to be married?

The Lord forbids Christians from marrying non-believers (2 Cor. 6:14); thus, finding a good spouse will involve going where godly, single people congregate — places like churches and parachurch organizations. God will probably not bring a man or woman into a single person’s life if that person prays without acting. David did not just pray when he faced Goliath, he also fired his slingshot (1 Sam. 17). Looking for a spouse should not be the primary factor in attending church — that would be hypocrisy. But Dr. R.C. Sproul reminds us there is nothing wrong with being on the lookout for potential mates as you grow to spiritual maturity in your local congregation.

Single Christians should also seek counsel from friends and family when it comes to choosing a spouse. It is easy for us to marry someone for the wrong reasons, but godly friends and family can help us see the red flags we might overlook in others. This should encourage married people in the church to be truly involved in the lives of single people and develop close relationships with those who might need your wisdom in finding a mate.

Coram Deo

Whether we are married or single, let us all take the time to get involved with others in our churches. Single people and married couples equally need each other to help them grow in the faith. Perhaps if you are married, there is a way for you to be involved in a singles ministry or college group. Maybe if you are single you can join a Bible study made up of married couples. Married or single, we are all one in Christ Jesus (Gal. 3:28).

Source: Finding a Spouse | Reformed Bible Studies & Devotionals at Ligonier.org

I remember someone told me that marriage is comparable to a fly in the house. They tried so hard to get inside the house but once inside they try so desperately to get out of the house!

Remember, opposites may attract but opposites usually don't last.
    Comment>

Thank you William for your post! I appreciate how you encourage both married couples and singles to come together in a way where we can grow and learn from each other. I'm thankful to have received sound advice from married couples who encouraged me to truly embrace singlehood by first enjoying "me", (i.e., that's doing things by myself like going out to eat, to the movies, etc.). I gained an amazing sense of confidence and was more open to the Holy Spirit teaching me more about me and making me whole so that I know how to choose the right person for me.
      Comment>

I think this is a very hard one to call,but if two people fall in love,and they want to try and spend their life together through the good and bad times,who is to say they are wrong or whatever? Also i think society has moved on and sometimes the financial burdens can weigh very heavy in todays world. I think also that the benefits of having children is a plus,but I see it, as something you have to work at,and marriage can be successful and quite wonderful at times.
        Comment>

There are rare chances that in a relationship both of the partners are in a true love with each other. Mostly the love is one sided and the other person keeps on getting benefits. God told us a legal way to keep up our relationship in an honorable manner of getting marry. This is the best and noble way to stay together forever. Marriage is a sacred relation that is always appreciated by society. Marriage leads to child birth and keeps the relation more strong as they both love children and the couple would have to be together forever for a better brought up with bright future.

I would love to say thanks to William for the best suggestion and guidance to live a happy life while staying in the blessings of God.
          Comment>
          Working...
          X
          Articles - News - SiteMap