Discuss how to be the helpmate that God intended for your spouse.

Are traditional gender roles in marriage bibilcal?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Innerfire89 View Post

Except homosexuality is called an abomination to God in Scripture. Marriage is a man and a woman, not just a union between two people.
    Two issues.

1. "Abomination" is broad term used very freely:

Leviticus 11:11 And since you are to regard them as unclean, you ...
    ... ye shall not eat of their flesh, and their carcasses ye shall have in abomination. ...
    They may not be used for food, and their dead bodies are disgusting to you.

Leviticus 7:18 If any meat of the fellowship offering is eaten on ...
    ... shall it be imputed unto him that offereth it: it shall be an abomination,
    Leviticus 11:12 Anything living in the water that does not have
    fins and scales,that shall be an abomination unto you
    Proverbs 11:1 The LORD detests dishonest scales, but accurate ...
    ... A false balance is an abomination to Jehovah;

Leviticus 11:10 But all creatures in the seas or streams that do ...
    ... But whatsoever hath not fins and scales, of those things that move
    and live in the waters, shall be an abomination to you,
    Proverbs 6:16-19
    There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
    1 Haughty eyes,
    2 a lying tongue,
    3 And hands that shed innocent blood,
    4 A heart that devises wicked plans,
    5 Feet that run rapidly to evil,
    6 A false witness who utters lies,
    7 And one who spreads strife among brothers.

Sodom was guilty of many Abominations (note that any "sex crimes" do not even make the list above or below):

48“As I live,” declares the Lord GOD, “Sodom, your sister and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done. 49“Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. 50“Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it. 51“Furthermore, Samaria did not commit half of your sins, for you have multiplied your abominations more than they. Thus you have made your sisters appear righteous by all your abominations which you have committed.

But God promises to RESTORE Sodom to it's former state becasue Jerusalem was so much worse and did not embrace it's family and relatives and did not offer housing to strangers.

Ezekiel 16 NASB

And issue #2:

Legally only a man and woman could live in the same house according to local customs.
    All other forms of living arrangements were considered abominations.

So when scripture is referring to other types of couples as abominations, it is referring to people who sleep around and
    are promiscuous or having orgies or sleeping with both men and women freely and often.

The reason this is obvious ais that these types of activities are obvious and harmful to society. Having multiple partners
    and "free love" with multiple people is harmful to all of society. Scripture is not referring to ANY committed relationships as bad.

How do I know this? Becasue sex between committed partners is completely invisible, I mean 100% invisible to society.
    Sex done properly is never a matter of public record. It never leaves behind any abandoned partners, stories, or diseases.

It is 100% invisible. If you look closely at these judgmental passages, they are referring to abhorrent behavior and promiscuity.
    They are not referring to gender preferences though gays do get noted

for those having poor and visible behavior.
    Comment>

Pretty wordy and leaves doubt as to just what your are really saying. Are you saying that sex outside of marriage, except for a married man and a woman is wrong? You seem to being somewhat evasive.
      Comment>

Originally posted by justme View Post
        Pretty wordy and leaves doubt as to just what your are really saying. Are you saying that sex outside of marriage, except for a married man and a woman is wrong? You seem to being somewhat evasive.
        I am limiting my condemnation to promiscuity and unfaithfulness.
        My stand is that "Do unto others, just as you would have them do unto you"
        means that grouping gender differences for any reason, breaks the royal code
        and so is an abomination to God. That's my MY take on scripture.
        Comment>

I guess you will leave me wondering. You mention the "royal Code" terms unfamiliar, and known only to you. Why not quite the Scripture you refer to?
          Comment>

Originally posted by The Librarian View Post

Two issues.

1. "Abomination" is broad term used very freely:

Leviticus 11:11 And since you are to regard them as unclean, you ...
            ... ye shall not eat of their flesh, and their carcasses ye shall have in abomination. ...
            They may not be used for food, and their dead bodies are disgusting to you.

Leviticus 7:18 If any meat of the fellowship offering is eaten on ...
            ... shall it be imputed unto him that offereth it: it shall be an abomination,
            Leviticus 11:12 Anything living in the water that does not have
            fins and scales,that shall be an abomination unto you
            Proverbs 11:1 The LORD detests dishonest scales, but accurate ...
            ... A false balance is an abomination to Jehovah;

Leviticus 11:10 But all creatures in the seas or streams that do ...
            ... But whatsoever hath not fins and scales, of those things that move
            and live in the waters, shall be an abomination to you,
            Proverbs 6:16-19
            There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him:
            1 Haughty eyes,
            2 a lying tongue,
            3 And hands that shed innocent blood,
            4 A heart that devises wicked plans,
            5 Feet that run rapidly to evil,
            6 A false witness who utters lies,
            7 And one who spreads strife among brothers.

Sodom was guilty of many Abominations (note that any "sex crimes" do not even make the list above or below):

48“As I live,” declares the Lord GOD, “Sodom, your sister and her daughters have not done as you and your daughters have done. 49“Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy. 50“Thus they were haughty and committed abominations before Me. Therefore I removed them when I saw it. 51“Furthermore, Samaria did not commit half of your sins, for you have multiplied your abominations more than they. Thus you have made your sisters appear righteous by all your abominations which you have committed.

But God promises to RESTORE Sodom to it's former state becasue Jerusalem was so much worse and did not embrace it's family and relatives and did not offer housing to strangers.

Ezekiel 16 NASB

And issue #2:

Legally only a man and woman could live in the same house according to local customs.
            All other forms of living arrangements were considered abominations.

So when scripture is referring to other types of couples as abominations, it is referring to people who sleep around and
            are promiscuous or having orgies or sleeping with both men and women freely and often.

The reason this is obvious ais that these types of activities are obvious and harmful to society. Having multiple partners
            and "free love" with multiple people is harmful to all of society. Scripture is not referring to ANY committed relationships as bad.

How do I know this? Becasue sex between committed partners is completely invisible, I mean 100% invisible to society.
            Sex done properly is never a matter of public record. It never leaves behind any abandoned partners, stories, or diseases.

It is 100% invisible. If you look closely at these judgmental passages, they are referring to abhorrent behavior and promiscuity.
            They are not referring to gender preferences though gays do get noted

for those having poor and visible behavior.
            The word abomination never connotes anything good.

Scripture is pretty clear.
            Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with man kind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.
            There's no "unless they're married" anywhere in Scripture. If same sex marriage was something acceptable then to God than Christ would have said so, yet every time marriage is talked about in Scripture it's between a man and woman.

Homosexuality is quite unhealthy and hurts society by braking down the family unit.

Committed relationships of many kinds end in grief. Good godly relationships between a man and woman who raise up a child to obey God certainly isn't invisible.

​​​
            Comment>

Originally posted by The Librarian View Post

I am limiting my condemnation to promiscuity and unfaithfulness.
              My stand is that "Do unto others, just as you would have them do unto you"
              means that grouping gender differences for any reason, breaks the royal code
              and so is an abomination to God. That's my MY take on scripture.
              But your take on the Bible is wrong.
              Boundaries aren't unloving. Like speed limits are made so people don't crash and burn God's commands prevent us from death. Now I'm just fine with being told I'm wrong, it's for my own good, that's how I would want people to treat me, to tell me I'm wrong so I don't soil myself with sin.
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap