Discuss how to be the helpmate that God intended for your spouse.

Polygamy should be allowed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygamy should be allowed

It's obvious we have more women than men. That been said, I know Christians only advocate for one man one wife.
    I am just Wondering, who is suppose to marry the extra women?

Not everyone has to get married. Sometimes it is better to remain unmarried in order to serve God without being distracted by the responsibilities of marriage.

The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband. (1 Corinthians 7:32-34)
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      Not everyone has to get married. Sometimes it is better to remain unmarried in order to serve God without being distracted by the responsibilities of marriage.
      The unmarried man is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to please the Lord. But the married man is anxious about worldly things, how to please his wife, and his interests are divided. And the unmarried or betrothed woman is anxious about the things of the Lord, how to be holy in body and spirit. But the married woman is anxious about worldly things, how to please her husband. (<a class="rtBibleRef" href="Link.32-34" data-reference="1 Cor 7.32-34" data-version="esv" data-purpose="bible-reference" target="_blank">1 Corinthians 7:32-34</a>)
      True words, however not very applicable. Women want to get married. No wonder we have so many men with mistresses.
      this is one of those issues that I desire every one to open their eyes to the reality and not blindly quote the bible.
      I mean, the modern man is faced by so many dangers and eventually has a higher chance of dying than a woman.
      ​​​​​​​
      Comment>

Originally posted by adssolsn View Post
        It's obvious we have more women than men. That been said, I know Christians only advocate for one man one wife.
        Let's be realistic here: there's not a lot of women out there that would be ok with a polygamous house even if their church allowed it. Mormons and Muslims are a different story, because to them polygamy is culturally embedded as well, but even they will tell you that polygamy comes with its own domestic problems... 3 people is a crowd.

Also, whether polygamy pertains both men and women, if we're just worrying about demographics, man-woman population ratios can change overtime. Either way the number of people who don't get married might not change at all even if polygamy is allowed, depending on a lot of factors.
        Overall it's not like humanity has a low birth-to-death ratio to be worrying about whether everyone gets married or not. There's plenty of people who don't want to get married at all, are loners, career people or find a calling in monastic life.
        Comment>

Fact checking the basic assumptions:
          In absolute figures (estimate):

US Population in 2017 ...
          65 345 400 young people under 15 years old ( 33 362 670 males / 31 982 730 females)
          217 386 227 persons between 15 and 64 years old ( 108 488 075 males / 108 898 152 females)
          42 729 344 persons above 64 years old ( 18 437 180 males / 24 288 909 females)

So under age 15, there are insignificantly more men than women. From age 15 to 64 there is parity between men and women. Above age 64 there is a surplus of women relative to men.

If the only goal is to provide husbands for surplus women to reduce the temptation of men to adultery, then we really only need to allow polygamy among those 65 and older. Is that really where you see the problem of unfaithful husbands being tempted by women desperate for a mate occurring?

Given these demographics, I suggest that the motive for polygamy is something other than a healthy husband-wife relationship. Given the reality of the cultures where it is practiced, it seems to be about subjugation of women and a direct result of the curse on Adam and Eve distorting what God intended.

Polygamy is both morally wrong and biologically misguided.
          Comment>

It is not merely a case of Christians advocating for one husband, one wife. It is written in the Bible in many places, despite the odd outlier in Old Testament times like Solomon.

Whether there is more women than men depends entirely on which country you are looking at. China's one child policy resulted in such a skew towards boys that now they are growing up the country is having to import brides, but I doubt you would suggest polyandry (one women, multiple husbands) to solve the problem. As atpollard said however, during the main marriageable age period, there is naturally a near 1:1 ratio. After age 64 many of the surplus of women will be widows with grown children and grandchildren who have family responsibilities that taking another husband would not help with.
            Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
              Fact checking the basic assumptions:
              In absolute figures (estimate):

US Population in 2017 ...
              65 345 400 young people under 15 years old ( 33 362 670 males / 31 982 730 females)
              217 386 227 persons between 15 and 64 years old ( 108 488 075 males / 108 898 152 females)
              42 729 344 persons above 64 years old ( 18 437 180 males / 24 288 909 females)

So under age 15, there are insignificantly more men than women. From age 15 to 64 there is parity between men and women. Above age 64 there is a surplus of women relative to men.

If the only goal is to provide husbands for surplus women to reduce the temptation of men to adultery, then we really only need to allow polygamy among those 65 and older. Is that really where you see the problem of unfaithful husbands being tempted by women desperate for a mate occurring?

Given these demographics, I suggest that the motive for polygamy is something other than a healthy husband-wife relationship. Given the reality of the cultures where it is practiced, it seems to be about subjugation of women and a direct result of the curse on Adam and Eve distorting what God intended.

Polygamy is both morally wrong and biologically misguided.
              Ican see you have the figures, thanks for that. But have you factored in, that a lot of men are facing a lot danger and die more than women. For illustrations, more men die in wars as soldiers, gangsters who get shot or imprisoned are more men than women, the number of those addicted to drugs and alcohol, more men, accidents; more men.
              You can now see why there's a defecit.
              now whether we chose to acknowledge or ignore this fact, it is here with us and must be addressed.
              And even though it may not be an excuse for infidelity, it is a contributor.
              Comment>

Ican see you have the figures, thanks for that. But have you factored in, that a lot of men are facing a lot danger and die more than women. For illustrations, more men die in wars as soldiers, gangsters who get shot or imprisoned are more men than women, the number of those addicted to drugs and alcohol, more men, accidents; more men.
                You can now see why there's a defecit.
                now whether we chose to acknowledge or ignore this fact, it is here with us and must be addressed.
                And even though it may not be an excuse for infidelity, it is a contributor.
                No, it really isn't a factor. Let's look at it another way. At 7 years old, there are 1112 boys for every 1063 girls or about 1 extra boy for every 18 girls. By age 47, the factors you mention mean that there are now 1085 men for every 1089 women of about 1 extra woman for every 543 men. (Hardly a crisis). It is only when you get to the very old that there are 750 men for every 1000 women or about 1 extra women for every 4 men. So even among geriatrics, only 1 man in 4 needs a second wife to provide a husband for every woman.

The numbers say that polygamy is not about biology and gender ratios. God really did hard wire the human race for monogamy. If you want polygamy for other reasons, you may as well embrace those other reasons. "Surplus Women" is a dog that won't hunt.
                Comment>

Originally posted by atpollard View Post
                  If you want polygamy for other reasons, you may as well embrace those other reasons. "Surplus Women" is a dog that won't hunt.
                  A surplus of women is not a good argument for polygamy. Succinct and logical, I like that.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
                    A surplus of women is not a good argument for polygamy. Succinct and logical, I like that.
                    I agree, but what is the solution?
                    What are you telling these women. To be content without husbands? that it's all right?
                    Comment>

What are you telling these women. To be content without husbands? that it's all right?
                      A solution? I am in no way convinced there is a problem. As far as I am concerned the topic is moot.
                      Comment>

After the World Wars Britain's gap was nearly 1.7M more women than men due to war casualties, and there was still no need seen to legalise plural marriage. The current differential is the natural level, around 500,000, which seems to be fairly standard in most populations not using some form of population control. Remember that many of the sects that allow plural marriage end up exiling young men so that the women:men ratio skews far enough for the remaining men to have multiple wives (FLDS - Guardian 2005).

Have you tried telling a woman she has to share a husband and that's alright? I don't think many Christian women would be happy about going against Biblical law. Besides, many of these women you deem 'surplus' would have been married to men who died. Do you believe that widows have to take another husband and can't stay faithful to their deceased husband's memory?
                        Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
                          Have you tried telling a woman she has to share a husband and that's alright? I don't think many Christian women would be happy about going against Biblical law. Besides, many of these women you deem 'surplus' would have been married to men who died. Do you believe that widows have to take another husband and can't stay faithful to their deceased husband's memory?
                          You make a fair point. We're way ahead of the mentality that a woman can't take care of herself, or is de facto a sinner if unmarried.
                          Marrying widows and older girls off to already married men is almost like sending them to a convent against their will. I think a lot of us would agree that in that regard polygamy and similar practices are largely barbaric, or at least misled. If anything it implies that a woman is nothing unless she's married.
                          Comment>

The argument that there are more women than men is probably not a good reason for the promotion of polygamy because nature has its own way of equalizing out the deficiencies in the numbers. Whilst some women would be accommodating to the multiple partner's situations, I doubt if the majority would be. In this situation, women are mostly regarded as mere chattels because there is no real opportunity to assert themselves in the role that they have taken on, they are just numbers in a male-dominated hierarchy.
                            Comment>

Most guys can't handle one woman, much less that many wives and usually this leads to a abusive situation as well. Also I think that they have a jealousy factor,as far as the women go between each other,and they develop a low self-esteem. Woman should have a right to choose though if they want to enter into this agreement,but should be advised strongly against it?
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap