Offer comprehensive advice on almost any subject from Christianity through to the Bible, sex, dating, singleness and marriage, ect...

Help, please.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, please.

Hello everyone! I (think I) am a follower of Christ; I want to ask you all about some questions concerning the Christian faith; if you would be so kind to try to answer? here are my questions: 1. What makes a difference between a person who lives out Christ (a good Christian?) and just a nice, non-religious person? 2. Is it a MUST to go to church? Alternatives? Because I am attending a boarding school and no one I know will go to church with me, I've always been a quiet, shy kid, and I've always been terrible afraid of being alone, where everyone else who is going to church has friends- and yes I know we as christians to go church to worship god but not for people, but the problem is I don't know how to walk there and I don't know how to walk back.. :'((((

Hello Vangie,
    Welcome to the forum.
    A Christian who lives out Christ does so through the indwelling Holy Spirit. A person who is not a Christian does not possess the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:9).

A Christian ought to go to church (Hebrews 10:25). Is it possible to call the pastor of the church and try to arrange transportation to and from the church?

It's encouraging to see at your young age your desire to know God more and to love Him supremely.
    Comment>

Hi Vangie, WELCOME TO CF :)

Yours in Christ,
      David
      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
      Comment>

Originally posted by Vangie Koo View Post
        Hello everyone! I (think I) am a follower of Christ; I want to ask you all about some questions concerning the Christian faith; if you would be so kind to try to answer? here are my questions: 1. What makes a difference between a person who lives out Christ (a good Christian?) and just a nice, non-religious person? 2. Is it a MUST to go to church? Alternatives? Because I am attending a boarding school and no one I know will go to church with me, I've always been a quiet, shy kid, and I've always been terrible afraid of being alone, where everyone else who is going to church has friends- and yes I know we as christians to go church to worship god but not for people, but the problem is I don't know how to walk there and I don't know how to walk back.. :'((((
        Hi again Vangie, I'll try to answer your 2nd question first. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian, but God intended that we (Christians) were to function together as one "body" (see 1 Corinthians 12, particularly v14-26) and that we would be greatly weakened if we tried to live our lives apart from the body of other believers. St. Paul also tells us why the body is weakened without all of its members (again, read 1 Corinthians 12).

Your situation is somewhat unique, but Farber had a great idea. Call the pastor at the church you want to attend (or churches if you are considering more than one) and see if they can provide transportation for you to and from church. I can tell you that we would welcome such a request at the church I attend, and that multiple members would offer to help out. Be sure to tell him about yourself, your age, and that you are shy and alone, and of course, what area of town you live in. Maybe there's another teen who could pick you up, or a family with kids? Who knows :)

Pastors love to talk about their churches, so ask as many questions as you'd like to when you talk to him. You can usually email them too, if you'd prefer to do that first. One question you might want to ask is how many kids your age attend there, and also what kind of a youth program is available to you. A youth pastor is a nice thing to have, but it's not necessary (and it may not be possible if the church you're thinking of attending is too small to support one .. nothing wrong with that, BTW). Going to church to be a regular part of the body of Christ, to worship and pray corporately with that local body, and to hear the word of God faithfully preached, are the most important things to be concerned with at first.

As for question #1 above, are you looking for a comparison of common traits that define and contrast Christians and non-Christians, or are you really looking for the signs that give us the assurance that we really are born again, IOW, the things that always accompany salvation so that you can be sure that you are in the faith (2 Corinthians 13:5)?

Thanks!

Yours and His,
        David
        Last edited by David Lee; 01-09-2017, 03:09 PM.
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

2. Is it a MUST to go to church? Alternatives? Because I am attending a boarding school and no one I know will go to church with me, I've always been a quiet, shy kid, and I've always been terrible afraid of being alone, where everyone else who is going to church has friends- and yes I know we as Christians to go church to worship god but not for people, but the problem is I don't know how to walk there and I don't know how to walk back.. :'((((
          Greetings,

You have gotten some good advice on this already, so I'm just adding an observation from nature. In the African savanna, it is the young antelope that has wandered from the herd that gets eaten by the Lion, because it is alone and vulnerable. Baby elephants are vulnerable as well, but the entire herd forms a protective ring around the young, so any Lion that wants to eat a baby elephant must first battle the tusks of an adult elephant. The Church (the people that belong to Christ, not the building) are a lot like a herd. We are innately safer together than alone.

Ecclesiastes 4:12 A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken. [NLT]

Choosing to be part of a community and attend a church (the local building), is like joining the Elephant Herd. It is a decision to be part of a network of mutual support.
          And the funny part is that they need you as much as you need them.

Ephesians 4:14-16
          14 Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won’t be tossed and blown about by every wind of new teaching. We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth. 15 Instead, we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church. 16 He makes the whole body fit together perfectly. As each part does its own special work, it helps the other parts grow, so that the whole body is healthy and growing and full of love. [NLT]

I can tell you from personal experience that I was forced to go it alone for a time, and I took a spiritual beating during that time. If I had it to do over, I would have made a greater effort to obtain fellowship at any cost.

I leave you with this ...

Luke 11:9-10
          9 “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. [NLT]

... and the encouragement to put God's word to the test and see if he can deliver (or not). I have found his arm is not short, Jesus most definitely can deliver. See for yourself.

God Bless,
          Arthur
          Comment>

Hello Vangie, and welcome to ChristForums. Since other folks have answered your questions about attending church, I would like to address your first question "What makes a difference between a person who lives out Christ (a good Christian?) and just a nice, non-religious person?". A person who is truly dedicated to Jesus Christ will choose to obey the Bible even when it is hard and requires personal sacrifice. People who are religious in some way or other will do what seems good for their pleasure or advantage. That is why people will speak of "casual" or even "false" Christians, and they are correct in many cases. Have you ever heard of Westboro Baptist Church? They are a small group, all or almost all of them related by family or marriage, who like to make people's lives miserable by going to funerals etc with signs saying how much God hates whoever they don't like. While it is true that God hates sin, God also has problems with people who misrepresent Him.

As to the issue of finding a church, I would advise you to be careful about accepting a ride with just anyone. Since you are a young woman, it might be best to ask to contact and get to know the leader of a church's women's ministry. During the time you are not able to attend church, please do read your Bible and post questions you might have about what you are reading here. There are some very wonderful people here who have studied the Bible for a long time and can explain things very well. Also, try to set a time each day to pray. You don't have to feel like you have to be "good at" praying, the Lord looks at our hearts not just our words. Prayer is very important. Finally, you can listen to sermons on TV or the radio. Folks here can also recommend good teachers for you to listen to as you seek to grow.

May God bless you deeply, Vangie. Jesus promised that if you seek Him with all your heart, you can and will find Him. I sought Him with all my heart, and I have found Him to be very kind, very patient and very loving. I have also found His Bible to be a wonderful guide to how to live a good life, even when what it says to do or not do isn't necessarily popular and sometimes not so easy at the time. For all that, the Bible has never pointed me in a wrong direction. I hope this helps you,

In Christ, Meg
            Comment>

Put simply, a Christian is someone who professes their faith in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Being a Christian doesn't make you "better" than "a nice, non-religious person", but it means you accept that Christ is The Way and profess him in your heart as your Savior..

As for whether it's a "must" to attend church, Christ himself said that wherever people gather in His name, He is there, which doesn't necessarily denote a church. If you do wish to attend, is it possible to find anyone who could give you a ride or even walk with you?
              Comment>
              Working...
              X
              Articles - News - SiteMap