If you want to discuss atheism, agnosticism, and secular humanism in general, this forum is the place to be! Got any news / activism related to the atheist movement?

Is this all we are here for, no better than animals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this all we are here for, no better than animals?

IS THIS ALL WE ARE HERE FOR? NO BETTER THEN ANIMALS?

About this time last year,
    Things got really bad,
    Couldn't do anything right,
    Kept slipping in to negitive thoughts.
    To many bad thoughts,
    Couldn't keep in control.

My partner said i should go to the docs.

So i had a 6 week session with a councillor.

One of the resons he told me how to fiddle the scoring system,
    Was this;

(I hadn't noticed this before, but for about three months before i went
    to the docs, something clicked,
    Ideas appear in my mind all the time,
    Then i kept on seeing this.)

I never noticed this before.

On the tv,
    Real life.

Every one is having children,
    Children are having children.
    People i work with,
    Younger then me.
    A friend, who is 10 years younger,
    Is a grandfather.

I was seeing it everywhere,

Then it came to me,

WE ARE NO BETTER THEN ANIMALS.

Thats what animals do,
    They don't think of it,
    its a natural thing,
    Instinct.

Why can't people see the world around them?
    Ask questions?
    Find things out?
    Why am i here?

Sleep walking through life.

Five year plan.

Get a job,
    Get a mortgage,
    Get a car,
    get a child or two.
    get to be a grandparent.

How many people are doing this?

Whats wrong with people?

Originally posted by phil boyce-bottoms View Post
    Five year plan.

Get a job,
    Get a mortgage,
    Get a car,
    get a child or two.
    get to be a grandparent.

Whats wrong with people?
    Is this your work? Or, are you cutting and pasting? Do you agree with it? Or, are you posting it highlight the despair and nihilism of people who don't follow the traditional path?
    Comment>

Why can't people see the world around them?
      Ask questions?
      Find things out?
      Why am i here?
      Hi Phil,

What is the "world" around you? Are you having an issue with the world's narrative? And why are you here Phil? That is, why are you alive?

Just curious Phil, have you ever read Ecclesiastes?

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

We share common traits with animals, i. e. Procreating because we serve a common Creator. That does not make you an animal.
        Comment>

We are here to serve and glorify God, not ourselves and each other. Even when we work for someone, we are to work as though working for the Lord. In return, God glorifies us. In His way, in His time. That makes us above the animals. You are in a state of depression, Phil, from the sounds of things. I recommend cognitive therapy. It will help you put these negative automatic thoughts into proper perspective. What animal follows its creator? Only man is held to that awesome responsibility. The returns are beyond our ability to comprehend, they are that good.
          Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Hi Phil,

What is the "world" around you? Are you having an issue with the world's narrative? And why are you here Phil? That is, why are you alive?

Just curious Phil, have you ever read Ecclesiastes?

God bless,
            William
            Hello!
            Hopefully you've read my post, 'hello', and, 'am I the only one'.

It's just that I've known for a long time now that there's something wrong with the world around me,
            No one else can see it.
            It's like I'm the only one who hasn't been given an instruction book.
            I've always been outside looking in,
            Everybody is following a pattern,
            A predetermined path,
            No one's stopping and thinking 'WHY?'.
            Imagine that everyone is walking slowly to the edge of a cliff, and your the only one that knows this, and no matter who you tell, no one is listening, because it's, 'okay', and your the weirdo, because your the only one who speaks like this.
            goes against what people see as real.
            as you've probably seen in my posts on here,
            Sorry if I offended anyone,
            That's not my intention,
            But I'm only trying to find answers.
            no,
            I haven't read the bible,
            Not for a long time,
            As its something that really confused me,
            Growing up,
            And doesn't make any sense now.
            But,
            If that's the life you want to lead,
            Then good,
            I like it when people have different opinions to me,
            How else am I going to learn?
            Comment>

Five year plan.

Get a job,
              Get a mortgage,
              Get a car,
              get a child or two.
              get to be a grandparent.

Whats wrong with people?
              It's not sleepwalking. It's the middle-class dream that people wide awake strive for. It's nearly all requirements for maximum happiness. It's the opposite of animals, who have no plans.

It's interesting that you left out marriage and graduation from your list. You should also add finding a good church home to the list.

Have you found yourself along in years, and without a family? All the better to devote yourself to God and serve Him in a church family.

Comment>

Originally posted by Cornelius View Post

It's not sleepwalking. It's the middle-class dream that people wide awake strive for. It's nearly all requirements for maximum happiness. It's the opposite of animals, who have no plans.

It's interesting that you left out marriage and graduation from your list. You should also add finding a good church home to the list.

Have you found yourself along in years, and without a family? All the better to devote yourself to God and serve Him in a church family.

Hopefully you've read my post, 'hello', and, 'am I the only one'.

It's just that I've known for a long time now that there's something wrong with the world around me,
                No one else can see it.
                It's like I'm the only one who hasn't been given an instruction book.
                I've always been outside looking in,
                Everybody is following a pattern,
                A predetermined path,
                No one's stopping and thinking 'WHY?'.
                Imagine that everyone is walking slowly to the edge of a cliff, and your the only one that knows this, and no matter who you tell, no one is listening, because it's, 'okay', and your the weirdo, because your the only one who speaks like this.
                goes against what people see as real.
                as you've probably seen in my posts on here,
                Sorry if I offended anyone,
                That's not my intention,
                But I'm only trying to find answers.
                no,
                I haven't read the bible,
                Not for a long time,
                As its something that really confused me,
                Growing up,
                And doesn't make any sense now.
                But,
                If that's the life you want to lead,
                Then good,
                I like it when people have different opinions to me,
                How else am I going to learn?
                Comment>

Since we all come from individual paths that are as unique as fingerprints, your way of seeing the world, Phil, is unique, and each one of us has a unique way of seeing the world. That is why the Bible expresses many of the same things in many different ways; because of the variety of people who can understand the teaching of the Bible as it is expressed one way, while someone else receives the same teaching from reading other verses. There are, however core beliefs with regard to salvation and damnation which must be believed and are found in the Scriptures. Believe in the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and you shall be saved. Believe in your heart and confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and you shall be saved. If you do not have the faith to believe, ask God the Father for it and He will give it to you. If you are interested, I can, as others here can, show you how salvation occurs as well as who and why it occurs with some people but not others. Once you are saved (which if you are, you were from the foundation of the world, but that is another topic), you will be able to understand the Bible and believe it as the infallible, inerrant word of God. Actually, you would start to believe in the Bible first, then by believing in the word, receive faith and understanding. When you said you were confused by the Bible, I was not surprised, as I went through the same thing; and the Bible teaches this kind of experience. Encouragement: We are saved by grace through faith which comes from God, not of works, lest any man should boast - Ephesians 2:8-9. I hope this helps.
                  Comment>

Hi! I understand what you're telling us and at times, I have also thought the same things. I have asked such questions to myself and even to God... Is this what life is all about? However, when I became a parent, things changed. Suddenly, everything became brighter, happier and sunnier. You know, you just have to find your purpose in life. You might end up being a parent as well, or maybe a career person. Who knows, you might also end up being someone who helps others. Find something that makes you happy and makes other people happy as well,something that you can excel in. The truth is, we only live once, so make the most of it, under the laws of God of course.

If you are doing something that doesn't make you happy, now is the time to rethink things over. Like I said, it's better to live your life the way you want to. You don't necessarily have to follow tradition or patterns. If you don't want to get married yet or have children, then so be it. But do something with your life, something worth it. You're having these questions because there's something missing and the only way you can remedy that is by filling that gap.

Don't be afraid to take chances. Trust in God and believe in Him. He has a plan for you and you only need to look into your heart to find out what it's all about. I hope this helps you and good luck!
                    Comment>

Sometimes I think that's not even the case. Humans do lots of terrible things to animals and to each other, that I honestly find myself envious to the peace that the animal kingdom can provide. They are just there to survive, they do not take advantage of others in their own colony for their own good, they look out for each other and would defend each other for their own protection. I can't say the same for humans. We are very wild creatures, and we have strayed far from the path that God has given us, and it is really a pain to see whenever I check the news daily. It's a terrible time to live in, and I'm afraid it only gets worse from here.
                      Comment>

According to the bible those who don't know God and live in sin are in fact no better than animals: "Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth; For the LORD speaks, "Sons I have reared and brought up, But they have revolted against Me. 3"An ox knows its owner, And a donkey its master's manger, But Israel does not know, My people do not understand." Yeah. The beginning of wisdom is getting to know God. If we don't know God we are worse than animals because unlike them we can tell the difference between good and evil.
                        Comment>

The difference is this... animals procreate because that is the instinctual thing for them to do. We humans do it (most of the time) because we desire to do so. We are also told to do so by God who commands all of His Creation to be fruitful and multiply, each after their own kind. If procreation seems like a run-of-the-mill drag to you then avoid doing it, because children need parents who really want them and love them whole-heartedly. I've never procreated, myself, but for many reasons, among which is infertility, but I've often felt that I'm just a little too selfish perhaps? Wanting to keep my life more or less the way it is and raising children can be a huge upheaval. Besides, I'm raising a husband, so that counts as a child of sorts. ;) Just kidding, of course, but the main point is, we humans can discuss having or not having children. We can plan it, focus on it, deal with it and make room for it. Animals simply do it because of their internal programming.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Novelangel View Post
                            The difference is this... animals procreate because that is the instinctual thing for them to do. We humans do it (most of the time) because we desire to do so.
                            I doubt an animal has the "intent" to procreate and start a family, but I do agree that sexual immorality is instinctual or primal in humans making them act no better than animals at times. Only humans have a higher sense of morality, making moral judgments and choices. Moral judgments according to what standard is another question altogether. For example, humans may yield to socially created moral laws, individual codes or ethics for "self' betterment which is not necessarily a good thing, because it can result in a self-advantageous worldview which only strives for personal gain. Social laws can be relativistic or change according to social development, culture or time, rather than being based on an absolute standard such as God, that is, the standard bearer of all moral goodness.

God bless,
                            William
                            Comment>

It breaks my heart to read something like this. I believe that all of us are struggling in one way or another. I am currently trying to find a place to live for my boyfriend and I. It's extremely difficult to find a way to live, while I am going to school full time and he is working full time. It's a difficult situation to be in. There have been times where I've considered living completely off the grid. It has been programmed in us to work until we die, but there is so much more to life than this.

As for animals, they live freely. I don't think that any of these situations cross their minds.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap