The branch of science that deals with celestial objects, space, and the physical universe as a whole

Is Science The Communicative Language of God?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Science The Communicative Language of God?

It has long been thought that God and science are two seperate entities and today advocates of either are often diametrically opposed in their views on how the world works. This is best illustrated by the evolution vs creationism discussion. The former being the work of life itself whilst the latter explains that life comes into being due to benevolent hand of the creator. The intelligent design theory brings the two together by explaining that the workings of the universe whilst scientific are the result of a planned mechanism set forth and controlled by God. With this in mind is it now time for christians worldwide to embrace science and look for ways to merge scientific developments with scriptural truths?

Science fulfills one of the commandments to go and subdue the earth. Whether we subdue by curing illness, disease, or simply pollution. Without the Logos there would be no science. But, we must remember, science is not supposed to contradict nature, and is merely the interpretation of nature, just as theology is the interpretation of Scripture and should never contradict it. I believe it is of utmost importance to also remember, both science like theologians are merely the result of fallible men, and they should never be the authoritative guide to Scripture. When it comes to origins we must also remember that nobody but God witnessed its creation, and science can not by definition recreate origins or something from nothing. Therefore, I believe it wise to reject contradictory theory for the word of God, rather than compromise it, that is, unless one believes God's word is not trust worthy.

I'd also like to add that Jesus viewed Genesis as a historical record in a literal sense. In Matthew 19:4 - He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female" just asked the question, have you not read, I think that in itself speaks volumes to the critics.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

I agree with what you say William apart from your ending, we do not know from reading the bible that Jesus advocated a literal interpretation of Genesis and in light of developments in science that we all hold to be true it's clear that the authors of the bible wrote things that could be interpretated in various ways. This is true for Genesis also, with the earth being created before the sun and a number of men being created in a method that is unclear. We are no longer in the 1600's and are free to reinvigorate scriptural thought with new interpretations.
      Comment>

I think if anything it would be mathematics would be closer than science to the communicative language. Or an avenue of communication in the sense that we can see how everything is set, and structured in a way that can be calculated. The real communicative language though would be through the Holy Spirit and reading scriptures.
        Comment>

Yes, God granted humanity to have the intellect, and with this intellect, to discover new things to improve their daily lives. Medicine, science and technology, agricultural advancements through the years - it is all because of His will. It is him communicating to us through our intellect.
          Comment>

Originally posted by PiousPete View Post
            with the earth being created before the sun and a number of men being created in a method that is unclear.
            Actually the Bible doesn't say the earth was created before the sun. On the fourth day God placed lights in the sky but the Bible doesn't say he created the bodies that produced the lights at that time. The Bible teaches that the earth is young but doesn't say anything about the age of the rest of the universe.

Young earth, old universe | clydeherrin
            Clyde Herrin's Blog
            Comment>

Originally posted by LivingH2O View Post
              I think if anything it would be mathematics would be closer than science to the communicative language. Or an avenue of communication in the sense that we can see how everything is set, and structured in a way that can be calculated. The real communicative language though would be through the Holy Spirit and reading scriptures.
              Good point I used science to represent the universal framework that we now call mathematics and physics. Whilst the basic foundations of chemistry and biology also fall into a formulated structure that can be measured without bias.
              Comment>

I don't see science as Gods way of communication, it's just our understanding the nuts and bolts of how creation works. I am brought to a sense of awe thinking about how creation works, for me, it all points to SOMETHING that created it all. It takes Gods spirit to communicate to you, and he will open your eyes to reality that he created it all.
                Comment>

I've always found it interesting to watch two scientists, one of faith and the other atheist, duke it out in debate over the origins of the universe. I've found this one between Richard Dawkings and John Lennox. If you have the time I find their arguments pretty captivating.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by stevenoza View Post
                    I don't see science as Gods way of communication, it's just our understanding the nuts and bolts of how creation works. I am brought to a sense of awe thinking about how creation works, for me, it all points to SOMETHING that created it all. It takes Gods spirit to communicate to you, and he will open your eyes to reality that he created it all.
                    Maybe for the individual but I think it's clear to all at this stage of human development that there are certain laws that govern our physical world. Maybe communicative language has thrown people off and I should have said God's communicative framework. The framework governs and to some extent those that operate in it and it can be thought that Jesus had the power to communicate with or use the framework as he liked resulting in his various miracles.
                    Comment>

Pardon me if this comment is not directly with the topic. I have this belief that science is a gift of God particularly technology. It is so difficult for me to believe that the inventions since the time of Thomas Edison are just lucky strikes. And even the computer would not have been a reality without the series of luck that started with the mainframe and the personal computers where Bill Gates happened to create the first operating system. Now if you will say that science is the language of God, perhaps it is to an extent that we employ logic. However, logic doesn't work all the time so science is not an exact thing like a language that keeps on developing.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by PiousPete View Post

Maybe for the individual but I think it's clear to all at this stage of human development that there are certain laws that govern our physical world. Maybe communicative language has thrown people off and I should have said God's communicative framework. The framework governs and to some extent those that operate in it and it can be thought that Jesus had the power to communicate with or use the framework as he liked resulting in his various miracles.
                        I think I'm following your thinking on this, are you saying that God communicates through creation and the physical laws that govern it?
                        While I'd agree God usually works through normal means (I think what you mean by the "framework"), he steps beyond this at times, like the biggie, the resurrection of Jesus. Or another example would be the Big Bang (creation of the universe), our current understanding of science still doesn't have a good handle on how that happened.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by stevenoza View Post

I think I'm following your thinking on this, are you saying that God communicates through creation and the physical laws that govern it?
                          While I'd agree God usually works through normal means (I think what you mean by the "framework"), he steps beyond this at times, like the biggie, the resurrection of Jesus. Or another example would be the Big Bang (creation of the universe), our current understanding of science still doesn't have a good handle on how that happened.
                          Yes, we're on the same page. With the framework in place God has shown that He is happy to go betond it when He sees fit. Something that hasn't happened for quite some time now though. My next question would be why that happens and what does this mean for humanity that the laws of creation can be broken at any times and only apply to humans and animals. Also with no miracles being recorded since the production of the first Bible, it becomes a test of faith to believe that Christians alive today will benefit in real time from miraculous occurences.
                          Comment>

I think science is the way God found to talk with all of us without scaring us, because through science we can understand everything without having to believe only that a magic power made it happen. It's fantastic.
                            Comment>

I think there are many evidences now and studies linking a connection between certain verses in the bible and scientific discoveries. I remember the latest one about a theory that a volcano eruption destroyed all life on Earth. This was found to be incorrect and that the volcanic eruptions then couldn't have been able to make as much damage as kill all the species and creatures. This led the way for scientists and researchers to focus on other natural catastrophes, much like a Great Flood destroying all life on Earth. And this is of course in line with the Great Flood in the bible.

So you see, even by not attempting to correlate the bible and science, somehow it all just falls together. I doubt that these researchers thought of a Great Flood as a possibility or even made that the first cause of the massive deaths on Earth. But somehow, they got into that track and have to cross out volcanic eruption out of the list. And it's just so amazing how it all fits together, like pieces in a puzzle.

So for me, science is definitely the communicative language of God. And in time, more people will realise this!
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap