Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Tim Farron resigns: "To be a political leader...and to live as a committed Christian...has felt impossible for me"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Farron resigns: "To be a political leader...and to live as a committed Christian...has felt impossible for me"

Following the UK election, Tim Farron, leader of the Liberal Democrats, has resigned. During the campaign his faith, as he was the only party leader open about his faith, was repeatedly questioned by journalists stating that his Christianity meant he was an unfit leader for his party. His resignation speech states many of the problems facing Christians in politics today, and the way that liberal media treats Christian leaders:

"To be a political leader - especially of a progressive, liberal party in 2017 - and to live as a committed Christian, to hold faithfully to the Bible's teaching, has felt impossible for me.

“There are Christians in politics who take the view that they should impose the tenets of faith on society, but I have not taken that approach because I disagree with it - it's not liberal and it is counterproductive when it comes to advancing the gospel.

“Even so, I seem to be the subject of suspicion because of what I believe and who my faith is in."

Full speech at the link below:
    Tim Farron has resigned as leader of the Liberal Democrats. The party leader made the shock announcement on Wednesday evening, citing scrutiny over his Christian faith as reasons contributing to his decision. Mr Farron, who joined the party when he was just 16, will serve until the next Parliamentary
Working...
X
Articles - News - SiteMap