Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Indonesian Leader on trial for blasphemy against Christianity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesian Leader on trial for blasphemy against Christianity

It is unusual today to hear about a leader going on trial for blasphemy against Christianity, but that is what is happening in Indonesia. A Muslim cleric who accused the Christian governor of blasphemy against Islam is now himself facing charges of blasphemy against Christianity. His remarks were on video. The defence's attempt to get the case thrown out was rejected on Tuesday and If convicted he faces five years in prison.
    The Muslim leader of a protest against the Christian governor of Jakarta for alleged blasphemy is now facing the same charge after a group of Catholics accused him of making an offensive comment about Jesus.

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
    It is unusual today to hear about a leader going on trial for blasphemy against Christianity, but that is what is happening in Indonesia. A Muslim cleric who accused the Christian governor of blasphemy against Islam is now himself facing charges of blasphemy against Christianity. His remarks were on video. The defence's attempt to get the case thrown out was rejected on Tuesday and If convicted he faces five years in prison.
    That's a rather interesting application made from Matthew 7:2!

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

As Christians should we be for the complete freedom of speech? Besides blasphemy should we side for the freedom to lie, slander, bear false witness, gossip, etc? Or, is there an element of truth and control that is our responsibility whenever expressing speech? Never thought the Christian could completely stand by freedom of speech. The OT says blasphemy is punishable to death. Can the principle from OT blasphemy laws be extracted, modernized, and applied to society today? Can the OT case laws be used as precedent? Lemme just understand the opposing argument though, are they approaching truth through the lens of post modernism and arguing that all truth is relative to an individual or societal group? I think Liberalism is the very ideology that Islam is exploiting.

Islam is trying to destroy nations by the First Amendment. Does Islam consider lying and deceit righteous in order to mislead the infidel to further the cause of Islam (motive)? Is that something we should support under the 1st Amendment?

Don't get me wrong, but I think part of what makes America great is how tolerant we are of those that are wrong, are there limitations to such tolerance? For example, are we free to yell fire on an airplane without consequence and penalty? Yes, and no, we are encouraged to yell fire if there is actually fire on an airplane, but we are forbidden to lie about it.

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

The only restriction on freedom of speech should be deliberately lying about something. When it comes to subjects such as blasphemy what one religion considers blasphemy is considered by another to be truth, so I don't believe the government has any business trying to prohibit or regulate it. Much of the persecution against Christians in Muslim countries consists of accusing them of blasphemy for expressing their beliefs. If we believe this is wrong Christians should not use blasphemy laws to prevent others from expressing their opinions.
        Clyde Herrin's Blog
        Comment>

A couple of notes: the 1st Amendment will be under attack far more with our beloved pres giving the internet to the UN. And then he abstains from voting at the UN. Yeah, we trust them.
          It's also interesting that Islam allows for lying to further their agenda.
          Comment>

We should not judge each other, whether Christians, Muslims or any other religion. I come from a country where we have been continuously attacked by terrorists who are thought to be Muslims. It's just a small section of them who have gone rogue due to misinterpretation of beliefs. Generalising and blaspheming against each other isn't the way to go.
            Comment>

Originally posted by ptahm22 View Post
              We should not judge each other, whether Christians, Muslims or any other religion. I come from a country where we have been continuously attacked by terrorists who are thought to be Muslims. It's just a small section of them who have gone rogue due to misinterpretation of beliefs. Generalising and blaspheming against each other isn't the way to go.
              Are you saying we should be more specific in what we criticize? Like radical Islam? Which area of the world do you have ties to if i may ask? I was banned on a Catholic site after asking a person if he had ties to the middle east. He took offense to that and i was told to apologize. I did not. I think it was over sensitive. Also i was Protestant and he was Catholic. Did i blaspheme in any way? What is the solution to all our woes?
              Comment>

Originally posted by ptahm22 View Post
                Right this is the feel I'm getting.... As if this is how all Muslim act according to the Islamic doctrines... As if. I think once we begin creating distinctions of free speech we get into a dangerous territory especially of those who are corrupt. At what point is the truth found slanderous or offensive by anyone including a corrupt dictator for example?
                Comment>

I think he shouldn't have said that because as a Muslim leader how he considers his religion as important, the same goes for other religion too. Talking profanely about another religion is an unnecessary thing to do and now he is facing unwanted consequences. Besides religion, we are all human beings first so why bad mouth some one's faith? This is not a good thing to do at all as a leader.
                  Comment>

He forgot that even though Indonesia is a Muslim majority country, it is still a democratic secular country. the Muslims may have the most numbers but the 30 Million Christians there know their rights eventhough they are a minority. The only region in Indonesia where Muslims dominate is in Aceh where there is a Shariah law and only Muslims are are allowed there but there is a growing Christian community there. Indonesian Christians in Aceh are worshiping in secret.
                    Comment>
                    Working...
                    X
                    Articles - News - SiteMap