Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Angola bans Islam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angola bans Islam

The African nation of Angola has become the first country in the world to entirely ban Islam. Angolan Minister of Culture Rosa Cruz e Silva stated that Islam is “contradictory to the customs of Angola culture,” and so it cannot exist in the Christian nation.

“The process of legalization of Islam has not been approved by the Ministry of Justice and Human rights,” Silva told reporters. “Their mosques would be closed until further notice.” All of the more than 80 mosques in Angola are set to be destroyed.

Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos called the move “the final end of Islamic influence in our country.” The Angolan government has fully backed the decision, saying that Islam is not a religion, but a sect.

Muslims around the world are infuriated by Angola’s decision. “I can’t believe that any government would be stupid enough to actually go down this route,” said Masoud Shajareh from the Islamic Human Rights Commission.

According to American News, Angola has a population of approximately 16 million, most of whom are Christians. The majority of the small Muslim population has migrated to the country from West Africa and Lebanon.
    Page not found - Conservative Tribune
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
    The African nation of Angola has become the first country in the world to entirely ban Islam. Angolan Minister of Culture Rosa Cruz e Silva stated that Islam is “contradictory to the customs of Angola culture,” and so it cannot exist in the Christian nation.
    America's forefathers said the exact same thing!
    Comment>

Well this is certainly some interesting news. Here I was going about my day and then I see this piece of news. My first thought was why am I reading this on an internet forum and it was not on the news program that I just do done watching. Maybe it was and I missed it, but still, it would be pretty embarrassing if it were skipped in favor of the celebrity cook off segment. I guess those are the times that we are in though, and we just have to get used to it. I am looking forward to reading more into this story, so thank you for sharing.
      Comment>

Makes me want to move to Angola. They are the most logical nation, instead of importing 'poor' Muslims in their country to cause chaos with bombing, they are banning them. I wish America would do the same, I would feel a lot safer. Islam isn't a religion is a sect. Under that, Islam doesn't fall under the protection of freedom of religion and can be classified as the terrorist they are.
        Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
          Makes me want to move to Angola. They are the most logical nation, instead of importing 'poor' Muslims in their country to cause chaos with bombing, they are banning them. I wish America would do the same, I would feel a lot safer. Islam isn't a religion is a sect. Under that, Islam doesn't fall under the protection of freedom of religion and can be classified as the terrorist they are.
          Unfortunately, with how secular our society has become many Democrats would still view it as a religion, and thus be protected under the first amendment. As many of our amendments have become, it is a double-edged sword, in that it does as much damage to our country as it does good.

You will never get enough popular support to ban islam from this country because of that.
          Comment>

Only 80 mosques in the whole country? Apparently there aren't many Muslims in Angola. This is probably the reason why they could ban Islam without fear of reprisals. I doubt though that the ban will eliminate Islam from the country.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap