Catch the latest breaking news stories and current events from around the world.

Rio Olympics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio Olympics

Is anyone planning on following the Olympics?

Any particular events you're excited for?

I always look forward to the swimming events, they're my favorite by far. I've heard a lot of negative press about the situation in Rio and that it's quite disorganized there at the moment - but I'm hoping that they pull off a successful games.

What a coincidence, the swimming events are my favorite too. Our athletes also almost didn't get to go to Rio because of everything that is happening there. Thankfully in the end it was decided to let them go. I hope we can bag a few gold medals this time around. I intend to watch all the events. This is such an exciting time and it never fails to lift my spirits when I watch these kind of events.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Corts View Post
      What a coincidence, the swimming events are my favorite too. Our athletes also almost didn't get to go to Rio because of everything that is happening there. Thankfully in the end it was decided to let them go. I hope we can bag a few gold medals this time around. I intend to watch all the events. This is such an exciting time and it never fails to lift my spirits when I watch these kind of events.
      I've heard of a lot of athletes from many different countries pulling out of the Olympics because of the Zika virus fears. I can't say I blame them as I would be apprehensive too - but to spend all that time training to reach a goal of going to the Olympics being dashed would be hard.
      Comment>

This is really the only time when I have had no reaction to the Olympics coming up. I am not really sure if it has to do with the location and all of the issues either, but I think it does a little bit just because I am kind of tired of hearing about it all. Especially when Michael Phelps is going back you would think that would be the hype, and that would certainly draw more attention, but I think it is getting overshadowed, which is unfortunate. I will say Go USA, but that is about the extent of my involvement.
        Comment>

Originally posted by rz3300 View Post
          This is really the only time when I have had no reaction to the Olympics coming up. I am not really sure if it has to do with the location and all of the issues either, but I think it does a little bit just because I am kind of tired of hearing about it all. Especially when Michael Phelps is going back you would think that would be the hype, and that would certainly draw more attention, but I think it is getting overshadowed, which is unfortunate. I will say Go USA, but that is about the extent of my involvement.
          It certainly seems to have less excitement here too than I have seen for previous years Olympic Games. But I do also feel like every games seems to have some level of controversy about things not being ready or stuff like that.

I guess we will see in a few weeks time how it all went!
          Comment>

Hi Amelia, I'm planning on following some of the events. Especially gymnastics, soccer, swimming, diving, etc. I LOVE the Olympics and am so excited that the opening ceremonies are on tonight!
            Comment>

I really enjoyed the Opening Ceremony. I must admit I teared up a little when the refugee team came into the arena. I hope that their participation in the games really draws some focus onto the plight of refugees, and a better understanding of the struggles they face.

I really like the gymnastics events too! Did you see the leg break by the French gymnast in the vault? I wasn't watching at the time but read about it in the news - just awful! :(
              Comment>

I also just read about there being a bomb scare at the finish line of the cycling event :(

Rio Olympics: Police say blast at cycling finish line was controlled explosion

Hoping that the games continue in a safe and peaceful manner - that's the spirit it should be conducted in!
                Comment>

The Olympics will always be subject to unnecessary strife as long as the IOC site selection committee can be bought off by the highest bidder. In 2009, Chicago was one of the five finalists for the Summer Olympics in 2016 but they were voted out first in favor of several, less-prepared sites, one of whom become the eventual winner (Rio). The infrastructure and wealth needed to host an Olympics puts a strain on even wealthy countries and can be very damaging to the health and safety of a country who is not as wealthy or established. This corruption is not limited to the Olympics as the decision to award the World Cup to Qatar in 2022 would be perplexing as it lacked the stadiums, climate and history for such an event but money ($$) talked.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by My3Sons_NJ View Post
                    The Olympics will always be subject to unnecessary strife as long as the IOC site selection committee can be bought off by the highest bidder. In 2009, Chicago was one of the five finalists for the Summer Olympics in 2016 but they were voted out first in favor of several, less-prepared sites, one of whom become the eventual winner (Rio). The infrastructure and wealth needed to host an Olympics puts a strain on even wealthy countries and can be very damaging to the health and safety of a country who is not as wealthy or established. This corruption is not limited to the Olympics as the decision to award the World Cup to Qatar in 2022 would be perplexing as it lacked the stadiums, climate and history for such an event but money ($$) talked.
                    Yes, there definitely does seem to be huge amounts of corruption with both the IOC and FIFA with the World Cup - Qatar to me was a bizarre choice just based on the climate and everything there - I guess it's no wonder that Sepp Blatter resigned because of all the corruption claims against him.
                    Comment>

I have never been to the Olympics however I have watched every single opening ceremony for as long as I remember. I think it's great when the athletes come out with their countries flags and represent the place they come from and the announcers usually give some obscure facts about that country. I was going to start a new thread but has anyone else been following the Lochte controversy about being rob in Rio? The following link gives a pretty good overview about the story: US swimmer: Guards pulled guns, wanted money - CNN. When the news first broke I thought it seemed a bit fishy, maybe that it was embellished a bit. I was dumb founded that they completely fabricated the whole thing. I wonder if they realize that they represent the United States as a whole and their actions were immensely stupid. Anyone else have any thoughts on the whole issue or facts that I may not know?
                      Comment>

Has anyone been paying attention to this Ryan Lochte story? This is a mess, and this guy is a moron. I know he is one of God's children, but yikes. He is making an international incident of being drunk and stupid, and it really looks for the US, which is unfortunate. I really enjoy the competition, but stories like this always seem to come out and ruin it all. I am curious to see where it goes from here, though, and it will be interesting to see. Thanks for sharing.
                        Comment>

Am sad that my country did not perform well in this year's Olympic games. I was interested in watching long races. I also watched rugby and javelin. Am happy that the games ended with less negative news.
                          Comment>

I was pretty excited, and so was everyone in our country. Hundreds and thousands of people (which is a lot in The Netherlands) set their alarms to wake them up at night, so they could watch our best athletes. Well, it was pretty disappointing, as all of our best athletes failed to get gold or even any medal. Athletics, gymnastics, women's field hockey... They were all expected to get gold and none of them did.

Nevertheless, we still made it to 11th place, and as a very small country that is a very big achievement.
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap