View the latest news and breaking news today for U.S., world, weather, entertainment, politics and health.

Judge Faces Dismissal for Beliefs on Marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge Faces Dismissal for Beliefs on Marriage

Judge Ruth Neely, a municipal judge in Pinedale, Wyoming, is being threatened by the loss of her position because she has said that she is opposed to same sex marriage and would refuse if asked to perform such a ceremony. Although she has the authority to perform wedding ceremonies she is not required by law to do so and she has never been asked to officiate at a same sex wedding. You can read more about this here:

Neely v. Wyoming Commission on Judicial Conduct and Ethics

Removing someone from public office because of her religious beliefs is prohibited by article VI of the constitution.

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

We need to pray that this attempt to restrict freedom of religion will fail.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog

I think the problem is the LGBT community made getting married a right instead of just a law, which means that it was given the same weight as article VI in the Constitution. This is the problem with the Supreme Court just making laws instead of just judging them as constitutional and fair. This is means that the LGBT community can also go into churches and force pastors and priest to marry them with the threats of shutting them down as non-inclusive institutions. The problem is that socially, people expect people who are holding public offices to put aside their religion and do what their job requires. I'm torn because if someone is following a religion that says I can't do something because I'm a woman but I have the legal right because I'm American, I want them to act according to the law. But I also don't think it is fair for someone to be forced to marry someone with a law that was forced on us by the Supreme Court and for them to lose their job. I don't see why they couldn't just find another judge who doesn't care about marrying people of the same sex. If we allow people to refuse service because they aren't wearing a shirt or shoes, why can't people refuse service because of religious reasons. They can just hire someone who will do the job.
    Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post
      I think the problem is the LGBT community made getting married a right instead of just a law, which means that it was given the same weight as article VI in the Constitution. This is the problem with the Supreme Court just making laws instead of just judging them as constitutional and fair. This is means that the LGBT community can also go into churches and force pastors and priest to marry them with the threats of shutting them down as non-inclusive institutions. The problem is that socially, people expect people who are holding public offices to put aside their religion and do what their job requires. I'm torn because if someone is following a religion that says I can't do something because I'm a woman but I have the legal right because I'm American, I want them to act according to the law. But I also don't think it is fair for someone to be forced to marry someone with a law that was forced on us by the Supreme Court and for them to lose their job. I don't see why they couldn't just find another judge who doesn't care about marrying people of the same sex. If we allow people to refuse service because they aren't wearing a shirt or shoes, why can't people refuse service because of religious reasons. They can just hire someone who will do the job.
      Well, the reason they won't hire someone who is willing to do the job, is because they WANT to tear up the Christian community and get Christians removed from positions of influence, whether at a governmental level or at a much lower form such as the corner grocer or bakery, it doesn't matter. The LGBT community desperately wants to keep us followers of Christ from running businesses and holding down positions within city or state governments. That's how they keep us under their thumb and under control. That's how they keep us from getting brave and speaking up for what we believe in. If we are reduced to quietly following the 'sheeple', and saying nothing... that's fine with them. This just goes to show us how powerful our belief system really is. When people fear you THAT much, you have power over them, whether you realize it or use it.
      Comment>

I guess she's in a pretty tough predicament. Lose her job or lose her stand in her belief in the issue. I think it's a progressing world, so these kind of incidents aren't going to end any time soon, and people are really offended pretty easily these days, so I can see and appreciate how she is standing her ground for what she believes in. There are tons of issues about this around the world, and I guess most of the things I have seen in the news either had the people threatened back down and accept defeat, or they walk away from their job and stick to what they believe in. Because if you really can't even hold your own ground and opinion at work, then why would you be respected in it?
        Comment>

The world will get increasingly hostile to TRUE RELIGION. There's IMHO little that can be done to change that. But as in the days of the martyrs who refused to deny Christ and lost their lives or were imprisoned, Christians must be willing to sacrifice their jobs instead of compromising their faith. The Word says, ". . . for the COWARDLY . . . their part is in the lake that burns with fire."
          Comment>

I completely agree with all of these comments. They have made it so "rights" are over lapping. And yes, they want to put Christians in these positions so that they can scrutinize the religion when a Christian stands up for their beliefs. Yes, Christians should be willing to sacrifice, but they should not be put in the spot to have to do so. Every one else has rights, every religion, every lifestyle, but Christians are losing our rights all over the place.
            Comment>
            Working...
            X
            Articles - News - SiteMap