A military, is a force authorized to use lethal or deadly force and weapons to support the interests of the state and some or all of its citizens. It typically consists of an Army, Navy, Air Force, and in certain countries the Marines and Coast Guard. The task of the military is usually defined as defense of the state, and its citizens, and the prosecution of war against another state.

Report: Trump weighing sanctions against North Korea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Trump weighing sanctions against North Korea

President Trump’s administration is weighing sanctions against North Korea in an effort to curb Pyongyang's nuclear program, Reuters reported on Tuesday. The report says the sanctions would be aimed at placing diplomatic and economic pressure, specifically focused on Chinese banks conducting business with North Korea.

News of the potential sanctions comes after the country’s state media said on Sunday that it conducted a successful rocket test.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson during his recent trip to East Asia reportedly discussed how to deal with North Korea’s nuclear program with his Chinese counterpart, Foreign Minister Wang Yi. Tillerson at the time said the U.S. would work with China to counter North Korea’s nuclear ambitions. Trump has said he will not allow North Korea to obtain a nuclear weapon. The president slammed North Korea last Friday, saying it is “behaving very badly.” He also criticized China for doing “little to help.”

Source: Report: Trump weighing sanctions against North Korea | TheHill

North Korea is planning to test another missile in the next several days. You mean to tell me that satellites can't pick up a thermal flash? Kim Jung publishes photos in the area of testing. Why not do a preemptive missile strike as soon as that flash is detected? Take that monster out!

Our Forces are already in South Korea in a Joint exercise. Our THAAD missile defense system is already in place. At least shoot down the test missile! How strong of a statement might that be?

William
    Comment>

North Korea has gotten away with way too much for far too long. I was in South Korea when North Korea sank a South Korea submarine (Cheonan) on Mac 26th, 2010
      ROKS Cheonan sinking - Wikipedia

And then later that same year on November 23rd they fired shells on Yeaonpyeong Island.
      Bombardment of Yeonpyeong - Wikipedia

Going back quit a bit Truman should have let MacArthur "finish the job" as he saw fit in 1950-1951.
      Comment>

Originally posted by William
        North Korea is planning to test another missile in the next several days. You mean to tell me that satellites can't pick up a thermal flash? Kim Jung publishes photos in the area of testing. Why not do a preemptive missile strike as soon as that flash is detected? Take that monster out!

Our Forces are already in South Korea in a Joint exercise. Our THAAD missile defense system is already in place. At least shoot down the test missile! How strong of a statement might that be?

William
        Wouldn't it though? If that tyrant ever actually decides to fire that missile Japan might actually be the one to take it out.
        Comment>

If it weren't for all the collateral damage that it would cause (innocent citizens who have been brainwashed into thinking dearleader is infallible), I would say to just turn that portion of the peninsula into a glass parking lot. The atrocities he has committed to his own officers is enough to send in a black ops team to take him out.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
            If it weren't for all the collateral damage that it would cause (innocent citizens who have been brainwashed into thinking dearleader is infallible), I would say to just turn that portion of the peninsula into a glass parking lot. The atrocities he has committed to his own officers is enough to send in a black ops team to take him out.
            The problem is trying to do this without starting a war with China. The situation with Taiwan and the Pacific area is fragile enough at the moment withoutgiving China an excuse to respond by firing missiles in their near vicinity. Sanctions might be the best thing that could be done right now because it draws the teeth of China's main threat: dumping its dollar reserve to tank the US economy. If that can be neutralised (or ridden out once they dump the currency), it puts the US in a much stronger position to tackle issues like North Korea.

Comment>

One of the proposed sanctions itself could cause some major problems, that being putting restrictions on banks in China that do business with North Korea.
              Comment>

Sanctions haven't worked with North Korea throughout the duration of the Obama administration. Why would Trump and his administration think they'd work now?

I realize our military is in bad shape at the moment. Perhaps sanctions are a delay for a greater action after our military buildup in the near future. At least the Trump administration could say they tried more diplomatic approaches before a military option.

God bless,
                William
                Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post
                  President Trump’s administration is weighing sanctions against North Korea in an effort to curb Pyongyang's nuclear program, Reuters reported on Tuesday. The report says the sanctions would be aimed at placing diplomatic and economic pressure, specifically focused on Chinese banks conducting business with North Korea.

News of the potential sanctions comes after the country’s state media said on Sunday that it conducted a successful rocket test.

Secretary of State Rex Tillerson during his recent trip to East Asia reportedly discussed how to deal with North Korea’s nuclear program with his Chinese counterpart, Foreign Minister Wang Yi. Tillerson at the time said the U.S. would work with China to counter North Korea’s nuclear ambitions. Trump has said he will not allow North Korea to obtain a nuclear weapon. The president slammed North Korea last Friday, saying it is “behaving very badly.” He also criticized China for doing “little to help.”

Source: Report: Trump weighing sanctions against North Korea | TheHill
                  Former Presidents Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama have attempted to put a rein on North Korea's doubling the size of its uranium-enrichment facilities. And these former presidents failed somewhere in their ultimate goal to sanction Kim Jong Un.

I wonder about how President Trump could deal NK's dictator out of his vow to obliterate the U.S. and its allies with "treasured nuclear sword". Pyongyang's intensified effort in both plutonium and uranium in the North has enhanced its ability to produce nuclear weapons.

We need to pray more fervently.
                  Comment>

Quite honestly I don't see why China continues to put up with this little country. Sure, it is another communist country, which makes them "kindred spirits," but China does not operate the way North Korea does. Somebody needs to make a more direct approach here, and not just sanction the country all over the place, as it is ultimately the people that end up suffering for what their leaders are doing.
                    Comment>

China likes North Korea there as a buffer between them and South Korea where US forces are stationed. Imagine having the Chinese at the US/Mexican border.
                      I once read that if (and that is a big "if") the North and the South were to unite that US forces should not even go into the North but they should simply retain their positions. However, knowing how the Chinese are good at going into places and claiming territory that doesn't belong to them I don't think this is a good idea.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                        China likes North Korea there as a buffer between them and South Korea where US forces are stationed. Imagine having the Chinese at the US/Mexican border.
                        I once read that if (and that is a big "if") the North and the South were to unite that US forces should not even go into the North but they should simply retain their positions. However, knowing how the Chinese are good at going into places and claiming territory that doesn't belong to them I don't think this is a good idea.
                        What I know about Japan pre-atom-bomb is that every man, woman, and child was prepared to defend the country. I don't think a ground invasion is going to be that easy. I know talks of a preemptive strike are on Trump's desk now. I just don't see a way around it if we were to go to war against North Korea.

You mentioned MacArthur, and from what I remember from history, he almost brought the Chinese into the war by disobeying direct orders and pushing the North Koreans to a line where there were almost 2 million Chinese waiting on the other side of a river, that if pushed would of intervened.

God bless,
                        William
                        Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

What I know about Japan pre-atom-bomb is that every man, woman, and child was prepared to defend the country. I don't think a ground invasion is going to be that easy. I know talks of a preemptive strike are on Trump's desk now. I just don't see a way around it if we were to go to war against North Korea.

You mentioned MacArthur, and from what I remember from history, he almost brought the Chinese into the war by disobeying direct orders and pushing the North Koreans to a line where there were almost 2 million Chinese waiting on the other side of a river, that if pushed would of intervened.

God bless,
                          William
                          Yeah, MacArthur was most likely relieved of command for that very thing. It could have launched us into WW3. Not really something we were prepared to fight that soon after the second one.
                          Comment>

MacArthur didn't like how the Chinese could hit us and then fall back behind the Yalu River (the border that separates much of North Korea and China) and we (the U.N which was primarily US forces) could not attack because that would be attacking in China. The thing is China was already in the war. The 300,000 troops they had fighting were called "volunteers" but the fact is they were ordered there by Mao. I suppose they could have refused but that would mean they would be shot and killed for failing to obey Mao's orders - so much for the term "volunteers."
                            Comment>
                            Working...
                            X
                            Articles - News - SiteMap