Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Richard Jewell: The true "gold medalist" of Centennial Park (July 27, 1996)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Jewell: The true "gold medalist" of Centennial Park (July 27, 1996)

Judging Jewell

On July 27, 1996, a terrorist's bomb exploded in a crowded Centennial Olympic Park during the Atlanta Olympic Games. The death toll might have been far higher if not for security guard Richard Jewell, who hours after his heroism was called a murderer.

ESPN: The Worldwide Leader in Sports
    Last edited by Faber; 07-25-2017, 05:00 PM.

What a horrific explosion to capture on television.

Do you think the FBI had probable cause for the investigation?

Seems to me that the media was the most damaging aspect. NBC, CNN, and the New York post settled in the lawsuit against him.

God bless,
    William
    Comment>

All should have been investigated who were nearby the explosion.

The media already convicted him before getting all the facts.

By what I read he saved the lives of over 100 people. It would have been a bloodbath.
      Last edited by Faber; 07-25-2017, 06:06 PM.
      Comment>

Originally posted by Faber View Post
        The media already convicted him before getting all the facts.
        I suppose they forget innocent until proven guilty if they think there is money in it, especially NBC and their "They probably have enough to arrest him right now, probably enough to prosecute him, but you always want to have enough to convict him as well". It really is appalling, and the problem is that the only thing to counteract that level of media condemnation would have been to involve the President or publicly award him a medal.

The settlement amounts are nothing compared to what the media firms make from the coverage so there is no incentive for them to stop. They should each have been held reponsible for paying him a salary and benefits comensurate with what he would have received if he had kept his job (yes I know that's about five times what he was earning, but people who save lives should be rewarded, not condemned). It would still be about one day of ad income from what they made.

Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap