Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Are Mormons Protestants or Christians?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Mormons Protestants or Christians?

We've started to get Mormon missionaries in our area, and after talking to a few I am confused. While they insist they are part of the Christian church, their heaven and views of marriage are completely incompatible with the ones described in the Bible, and they baptise the dead into their church which seems unusual since the fate of the dead is already decided. The ones I have spoken to seem to be unfamiliar with the words of the Bible when I pointed out the contradictions.

Is this church part of the Christian faith? Which group would it fall under e.g. Protestant or Catholic, a subset like Jehovah's Witnesses, or is it part of the larger group of Abrahamic faiths?

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
    We've started to get Mormon missionaries in our area, and after talking to a few I am confused. While they insist they are part of the Christian church, their heaven and views of marriage are completely incompatible with the ones described in the Bible, and they baptise the dead into their church which seems unusual since the fate of the dead is already decided. The ones I have spoken to seem to be unfamiliar with the words of the Bible when I pointed out the contradictions.

Is this church part of the Christian faith? Which group would it fall under e.g. Protestant or Catholic, a subset like Jehovah's Witnesses, or is it part of the larger group of Abrahamic faiths?
    Cult.

Comment>

Originally posted by Origen View Post
      Cult.
      Agreed.

Further reading: Is Mormonism Compatible with the Bible? -Christforums

God bless,
      William
      Comment>

Hi ChatterBox, I'm in agreement with Origen as well. Mormons actually believe they ALONE are Christians, and we, who are part of the church, are not (and haven't been since the end of the 1st Century). They believe in something they call, "The Great Apostasy", which occurred .. according to them .. immediately after the Apostle John died. They believe that the Lord and the HS failed to sustain the church, that most of what They (and the Apostles) taught was lost at that point (or, at least, the correct understanding of what they taught), and that the HS withdrew from the earth (and the church was left w/o its Guide/Helper because it went so apostate).

This continued for nearly 2 Millennia until God supposedly reached out to us again during the 19th Century, this time through the "prophet" Joseph Smith, and the angel they call "Moroni" (who Mormons believe were finally able to do what the "A" team, you know, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit, along with the Apostles, were incapable of doing in the 1st Century).

Go team "B" :(

They also teach that "as we are now, God once was". IOW, that God used to be man, just like us, and he "became" God almighty :eek:

And on and on (deeper and deeper) it goes. In fact, if you're a member in good standing, and have faithfully tithed to the Mormon church throughout your life, you can become a goddess yourself, and along with your Celestial husband's other "Celestial Wives", get a planet of your own to populate, just like this one.

The Bible becomes a real problem for them, of course, as does recorded history .. because literally NOTHING about their historical claims has been/can be proven to be true, for the simple reason that none of it happened. As one of my more honest online Mormon friends likes to say, "I don't like history very much" ;)

Yours and His,
        David
        "Before Me there was no God formed,
        and there will be none after Me"

Isaiah 43:10b
        Last edited by David Lee; 05-08-2017, 03:37 AM.
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

Are Mormons Protestants or Christians?

Neither.
          Comment>

I cracked up while watching this. Those Mormons approached the wrong Christian!

God bless,
            William
            Comment>

Hilarious. Gotta love LutheranSatire!

Comment>

Originally posted by William View Post

Hilarious. Gotta love LutheranSatire!

God bless,
                William
                :) :)

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                Comment>

Originally posted by William

God bless,
                  William
                  Lol. I'm now inspired to tape myself talking to JW's. Bound to run into them again, they're all over Florida.

Don't forget the Lutheran Satire where Connel and Donnel convince the Mormon missionaries they're going to Hell.
                  Comment>

Originally posted by wfredeemed009 View Post
                    Lutheran Satire where Connel and Donnel convince the Mormon missionaries they're going to Hell.
                    Hilarious!

God bless,
                    William
                    Comment>

:)

Comment>

Here is a source of information about Mormonism that might help you be prepared for contacts with Mormons:

Mormonism | carm
                        Clyde Herrin's Blog
                        Comment>
                        Working...
                        X
                        Articles - News - SiteMap