Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Paradox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradox

At my place of employment there is a sign written in pink 'I celebrate diversity' and we don't dare say an thing against it lest we be hung.
    But any sound thinking individual knows there has to be a right way but because the world is still probing shows they haven't found it yet nor can they because we are living in Satan's Eden...

Well there's diversity and then there's all the things that hide under its wing. Because diversity starts with something as mundane as people being from different social backgrounds or of a different race/country, or of a different political or religious view. So starting with those aspects, diversity is advocated for and protected, in the sense that we can't all be exactly alike, we're humans not photocopies. We're bound to dissagree eventually even with our kin.

The problem starts when under the guise of diversity (as a right) there's people who choose to act completely outside the margins of human decency, disrupting other people's lives or lifestyle in the process. In the end, there's so many people that have done this, that we end up looking at a corrupted version of diversity instead. People get defensive on either side and start saying things like "I celebrate diversity" or "I hate diversity" is really just fighting the wrong battle.
    Comment>

Originally posted by Julianne View Post
      Well there's diversity and then there's all the things that hide under its wing. Because diversity starts with something as mundane as people being from different social backgrounds or of a different race/country, or of a different political or religious view. So starting with those aspects, diversity is advocated for and protected, in the sense that we can't all be exactly alike, we're humans not photocopies. We're bound to dissagree eventually even with our kin.
      I agree. Diversity is a fact of life. However the sign doesn't seem to be celebrating diversity, just a similar feature of one particular small group of humanity, and a feature that (unless I miss my guess about the pink sign) isn't even a visible one.

Do you know who put it up? Because if its from your workplace or HR, one solution would be to request it be replaced with a genuinely diverse shot: something saying "I celebrate Diversity" over shots of hundreds of different people from many countries. That actually would celebrate differences and diversity, and be a far more inclusive sign. There are a few on Zazzle.

If its a co-worker's and in their workspace you may be out of luck.
      Comment>

Originally posted by ChatterBox View Post
        Do you know who put it up? Because if its from your workplace or HR, one solution would be to request it be replaced with a genuinely diverse shot: something saying "I celebrate Diversity" over shots of hundreds of different people from many countries.
        That's a brilliant idea actually. A scene or a work of art speaks volumes more than a mere uninspired phrase. Even the peace sign would have been more tasteful or more impactful.

If they put it up personally then there's room to ask what brought them to this. Some people feel like they have to verbally declare their views every step of the way...a kind of insecurity that means they feel like they are outcasts. And sometimes they only care about the selective part of diversity that concerns them personally, hence the pink color on the sign.
        Comment>
        Working...
        X
        Articles - News - SiteMap