Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

How can religion explain the recent findings by NASA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can religion explain the recent findings by NASA

Day in day out,they has seemingly been a conflict of interest between science and religion. A few days ago, NASA discovered a universe more or less like ours here.

The just discovered universe comprises of seven planets each one of the almost the same size as the earth and a star at the centre. It is approximately 40 light years from the earth.

I was wondering, how can we, as religious people explain this new discovery?

What is there that needs explaining? This is all part of God's creation.
    Clyde Herrin's Blog
    Comment>

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
      What is there that needs explaining? This is all part of God's creation.
      Exactly!

Comment>

Hi Outliner, what I'm amazed by is the sudden ability of our scientists to "prove" what they only "believed" to be true less than a decade ago, IOW, that there are stars out there, other than our own, with planetary systems.

And they are not only able to prove that planets exist outside of our own solar system now, they also seem to be able to tell us what these exoplanets are composed of and what they look like. WOW :)

Does anyone know what recent technology made this new and highly detailed information available to us by any chance? (the Hubble Telescope has been in orbit since 1990, so it can't be that).

Thanks!

--David
        Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
        Comment>

They didn't find a universe, they found a solar system. The new (to us) solar system is part of our galaxy, which is part of the universe, which in turn is, or is part of, God's cosmos. Astronomers worldwide have been finding planets and binary systems for years, just not inhabitable ones (the first was reported when I was in Primary school many, many, years ago). It just means that creation is vaster and more wonderful than we could have imagined.

I don't see why you think it would cause problems now, when the Christian faith hashed these issues out around the times of Kepler, Copernicus, and Galileo.
          Comment>

Originally posted by Onliner View Post
            Day in day out,they has seemingly been a conflict of interest between science and religion. A few days ago, NASA discovered a universe more or less like ours here.

The just discovered universe comprises of seven planets each one of the almost the same size as the earth and a star at the centre. It is approximately 40 light years from the earth.

*[[Pro 25:2]] WEB* It is the glory of God to conceal a thing, but the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

Human intelligence is a fascinating gift from God our Creator. He wants us to "search out a matter" of every thing He wants us to see and understand. Praise Him!
            Comment>

Originally posted by David Lee View Post
              Does anyone know what recent technology made this new and highly detailed information available to us by any chance? (the Hubble Telescope has been in orbit since 1990, so it can't be that).

Thanks!
              --David
              The first three planets were found in 2016 by the Transiting Planets and Planetesimals Small Telescope in Chile, who notified other observatories to take a look. The remaining planets were found by the Spitzer Space Telescope, launched in 2003, and confirmed by European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope (what creative names scientists give things!). Hubble is being used to get extra information.

A lot of the really detailed information and planetary images were not part of the release and made up by the media to jazz things up... As we found out with Venus, scientists can guess all they like, but what's actually on the surface may be completely different to what they predict.
              NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope has revealed the first known system of seven Earth-size planets around a single star. Three of these planets are firmly located in the habitable zone, the area around the parent star where a rocky planet is most likely to have liquid water.
              Comment>

I agree
                We try to put God in a little box of our thinking and thar is so limited by our perception.
                Wonder what the other dimensions are all about?
                Comment>

Any scientific discovery leads to thank God because it's through his might that we conduct space flight and they become successful. God created everything we see and that can never be credited to man.
                  Comment>

Well I think it is one of God's creation and I am happy that science is growing day by day and they have found a universe just like ours. It's really awesome. It would be nice of you could post a link to this news.
                    ​​​
                    Comment>

There are actually bible verses that talks about aliens like this one:

Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

I will not debate whether they exist or not but all I know is that God created everything in this universe. If God had created other creatures with intelligence, I am sure they worship God too. Science and Religion is not always enemies. Many of the great scientist are actually devout Christians.

I have a cousin who is a Chemist and she regularly goes to church even if she is a Scientist. She thinks all the knowledge she have is just borrowed from God.
                      Comment>

I would be highly dubious of any claim to have located a universe beyond our own. Doubtless there are countless other solar systems, and conceivably there will be planets populated by intelligent creatures such as ourselves - although attempts to find them don't seem to have been very successful up until now. If they do exist, and God has revealed himself to them, what his dealings with them look like is not something we can even begin to speculate about.
                        Comment>

Originally posted by Onliner View Post

I believe you are confusing a universe with a solar system.
                          Comment>

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
                            There are actually bible verses that talks about aliens like this one:

Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether [they be] thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him.
                            Hi Sparky, v16 is one of my favorite verses, but I've gotta say, I've never related it to unknown extraterrestrials before, just to the physical universe and what we know it contains (the planets, the stars, the Heavenly Host, demons, etc.). Why do you feel v16 is also talking about "aliens"?

Thanks!

--David
                            Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

"We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

"The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

"The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                            Comment>

You should never compare science and religion. Science and religion are very different realities but both are important. You can understand science and religion as two faces of the same coin. Not just the recent Nasa findings, but science has contradicted religion since ages. Remember Copernicus. He was killed because he said sun is the center of the solar system. Even the Galileo was dragged to the court because he contradicted with the religious belief.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap