Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

GOD and Karma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • GOD and Karma

    I often come across a saying that As you sow so shell you reap. It is all about karma. You will get everything about your doings in previous births. So it is all about a type of investment. Like we invest in previous birth and got that back in upcoming birth. So basicaly it is us who are responsible for our luck and badluck. So now what is the role of GOD here? Can anyone explain me?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Geeta06 View Post
    I often come across a saying that As you sow so shell you reap. It is all about karma. You will get everything about your doings in previous births. So it is all about a type of investment. Like we invest in previous birth and got that back in upcoming birth. So basicaly it is us who are responsible for our luck and badluck. So now what is the role of GOD here? Can anyone explain me?
    Your point is built upon beliefs that are not Christian and consequently unbiblical. Since Christians do not believe in reincarnation, the questions of past lives is moot. Each person lives only one life and must answer for it. As for bad luck or good luck, that point is also moot. Christians believe in the providence of God and thus the question of luck does not enter into it.
    Comment>

    • #3
      Hi Geeta, Christianity and Karma cannot be harmonized, because in Christianity, God Himself paid the penalty for our sins by suffering and dying on the Cross in our stead. As Isaiah says of the Savior:

      Isaiah 53
      5 He was pierced through for our transgressions,
      He was crushed for our iniquities;
      The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him,
      And by His scourging we are healed.
      6 All of us like sheep have gone astray,
      Each of us has turned to his own way;
      But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all
      To fall on Him.

      God did for us what we cannot do for ourselves, and He gave us what we do not deserve (this is especially true of believers, of course). He got what we deserve and we get what He deserves, which is the very opposite of what Karma teaches, is it not?

      He has also blessed all who live in this life, no matter what they've done, be they good or evil. As the Lord tells us:

      Matthew 5:45
      God causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and He sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

      God is also clear that we all have but one life to live, after which comes judgment .. Hebrews 9:27.

      God's final role in life of an unbeliever will be that of a Judge who will condemn them, but believers (who deserve to reap the same "fate") will look into that same Judge's face and see a Savior instead. We deserve neither redemption nor salvation, but by His stripes we are healed.

      He did for us what we can never do for ourselves, even if we could try a million different times in a million different lives.

      Yours in Christ,
      David




      "It is appointed for men to die once
      & after this comes judgment"

      Hebrews 9:27

      Last edited by David Lee; 02-09-2017, 04:19 PM.
      Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

      "We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

      "The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

      "The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

      "The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
      Comment>

      • #4
        Originally posted by David Lee View Post
        Hi Geeta, Christianity and Karma cannot be harmonized, because in Christianity, God Himself paid the penalty for our sins by suffering and dying on the Cross in our stead. As Isaiah says of the Savior:

        Isaiah 53
        5 He was pierced through for our transgressions,
        He was crushed for our iniquities;
        The chastening for our well-being fell upon Him,
        And by His scourging we are healed.
        6 All of us like sheep have gone astray,
        Each of us has turned to his own way;
        But the LORD has caused the iniquity of us all
        To fall on Him.

        God did for us what we cannot do for ourselves, and He gave us all what we do not deserve (this is especially of believers, of course). IOW, He got what we deserve and we got what He deserved.
        Comment>

        • #5
          GRACE ... love interrupts the consequences of your actions :)

          And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "as you reap, so will you sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I've done a lot of stupid stuff. I'm holding out for Grace. I'm holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don't have to depend on my own religiosity. --Bono
          Last edited by David Lee; 03-25-2017, 04:32 PM.
          Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

          "We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

          "The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

          "The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

          "The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
          Comment>

          • #6
            Karma is no less than a hard reality of life. The way you deal with others and the way you treat them, be sure that you will be treated in the same manner sooner or later. I have witnessed Karma working in people's life and believe me it taught them lessons for life.

            Whenever someone does something wrong with me I simply wait and allow the Karma to do the rest. All I have to do is wait for the right time.
            Comment>

            • #7
              Originally posted by DR KOKIL AGARWAL View Post
              Karma is no less than a hard reality of life. The way you deal with others and the way you treat them, be sure that you will be treated in the same manner sooner or later. I have witnessed Karma working in people's life and believe me it taught them lessons for life.

              Whenever someone does something wrong with me I simply wait and allow the Karma to do the rest. All I have to do is wait for the right time.
              Hi Dr Kokil Agarwal, first off, WELCOME TO CF :)

              As for Karma, if it is a "hard reality of life", what "power" is behind it, IOW, what (or who) makes it work the way it does?

              Also, the brother of one of our elders just lost his 5 month old baby boy yesterday (this was his brother's 7th child). On Thursday, his baby was playing and giggling and seemed perfectly healthy (just like all of his other children are), and on Friday he died. No foul play was involved. How does "Karma" explain this?

              Thanks!

              Yours in Christ,
              David



              "God causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends
              rain on the righteous and the unrighteous"

              Matthew 5:45
              Last edited by David Lee; 03-26-2017, 04:17 PM.
              Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

              "We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

              "The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

              "The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

              "The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
              Comment>

              • #8
                Karma is everything. If we do good things we will get good things in return and if we think of doing something evil for the somebody we will get back the same evil. So, it is in our deeds and thoughts. It is the universal law for what you sow, you will reap.
                Comment>

                • #9
                  Originally posted by harijobs View Post
                  Karma is everything. If we do good things we will get good things in return and if we think of doing something evil for the somebody we will get back the same evil. So, it is in our deeds and thoughts. It is the universal law for what you sow, you will reap.
                  How do you explain all those Apostles that suffered and died horrendous deaths after speaking truth for Christ Jesus' name sake?

                  God bless,
                  William
                  Comment>

                  • #10
                    Originally posted by harijobs View Post
                    Karma is everything. If we do good things we will get good things in return and if we think of doing something evil for the somebody we will get back the same evil. So, it is in our deeds and thoughts. It is the universal law for what you sow, you will reap.
                    Hi harijobs, if we always reap what we sow, what will the eternal outcome be for any/all who have sinned in thought and/or in deed in this life before a Holy God?

                    Also, the Bible tells us clearly that God chooses to bless both the righteous AND the unrighteous .. Matthew 5:44-45, and that He is the Justifier of the "wicked" .. Romans 4:5.

                    If "Karma is everything", why isn't God playing along? ;)

                    Thanks!

                    --David





                    "God causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends
                    rain on the righteous and the unrighteous"

                    Matthew 5:45

                    Simul Justus et Peccator ~Martin Luther

                    "We are justified by faith alone, but the faith that justifies is never alone" ~John Calvin

                    "The Christian does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us." ~C. S. Lewis

                    "The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances" ~Elisabeth Elliot

                    "The law is for the self-righteous to humble their pride; the Gospel is for the lost to remove their despair. ~C. H. Spurgeon
                    Comment>

                    • #11
                      From what I believe is that we get what we do for others and I believe there is a supreme power above us all who is driving us. I believe in god and to me Shiva, Jesus and Allah are all the same and they are one supreme power because of that power we are all existing on this planet. The supreme is watching us and drives us to do the activities. Please don't take it personally friends, this is my personal belief. God bless.
                      Comment>

                      • #12
                        Originally posted by David Lee View Post
                        Also, the brother of one of our elders just lost his 5 month old baby boy yesterday (this was his brother's 7th child). On Thursday, his baby was playing and giggling and seemed perfectly healthy (just like all of his other children are), and on Friday he died. No foul play was involved. How does "Karma" explain this?
                        First, my condolences to your friend on the loss of a child. May God be with them at this time.

                        Second, I've never seen Karma as having anything to do with God or Christianity. Karma was traditionally part of the re-incarnation cycle, and that's not Christian. What it seems to be used for now is simply that if someone is a bad person or nasty, eventually no one will want to have anything to do with them, which I would have called consequences or comeuppances, (or sometimes schadenfreude if I am feeling mean).

                        I've seen too many evil people profit from harming others and too many bad things happening to good people to believe in universal Karma. It sounds too much like the 'Just World' fallacy to me.
                        Comment>

                        • #13
                          Originally posted by harijobs View Post
                          From what I believe is that we get what we do for others and I believe there is a supreme power above us all who is driving us. I believe in god and to me Shiva, Jesus and Allah are all the same and they are one supreme power because of that power we are all existing on this planet. The supreme is watching us and drives us to do the activities. Please don't take it personally friends, this is my personal belief. God bless.
                          Harijobs,

                          Do you understand the difference between god(s) and God?

                          And does Allah have any Son? What about Shiva, Buddha, or Krishna?
                          • John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

                          Does the Scripture say that whoever believes in Allah, Shiva, Buddha, or Krishna shall not perish but have eternal life? Salvation undermines Karma.

                          God bless,
                          William
                          Comment>
                          Working...
                          X
                          Articles - News - SiteMap