Ok, here is where you can post just about anything about any topic at all!

Do you think Christians shouldn't be a part of certain types of music?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think Christians shouldn't be a part of certain types of music?

I have a number of Christian friends who listen to heavy metal including Christian metal bands. I also know some people who think that that sort of music is inherently against what Christianity stands for. What is your take on this sort of thing? Do you think there are particular styles of music or film that are inherently against Christianity?

Anything can be used to bring glory to God. Of course you do have the people that will get hung up on the "sound" of certain styles of music saying it sounds demonic, and the like. It really comes down to a person's background and their musical preference.

I grew up in the 80's listening to hair bands, hard rock, soft rock, heavy metal...pretty much a large spectrum of music. So, when a Christian band is starting make using in a specific style, as long as they are good at it and have a good message then I say more power to them. I do have to say Christian music has come a long way from the cheesy music from the 80's and early 90's.
    Comment>

I think most people that are not familiar with heavy metal music would be surprised at just how many Christian bands there are from around the world, two of the bigger Christian metal bands are called August Burns Red and For Today, most have songs with some Christian influence or belief to which a criticism of them has been that they are "too preachy".
      Comment>

Originally posted by Knotical View Post
        Anything can be used to bring glory to God. Of course you do have the people that will get hung up on the "sound" of certain styles of music saying it sounds demonic, and the like. It really comes down to a person's background and their musical preference.

I grew up in the 80's listening to hair bands, hard rock, soft rock, heavy metal...pretty much a large spectrum of music. So, when a Christian band is starting make using in a specific style, as long as they are good at it and have a good message then I say more power to them. I do have to say Christian music has come a long way from the cheesy music from the 80's and early 90's.
        Yeah I totally agree with you here. A style of music cannot inherently carry a positive or negative message. I generally am not at all a fan of Christian music that we sing at churches. The 80s/90s stuff is terrible but the current worship music isn't a whole lot better if you ask me.
        Comment>

Originally posted by rootle View Post

Yeah I totally agree with you here. A style of music cannot inherently carry a positive or negative message. I generally am not at all a fan of Christian music that we sing at churches. The 80s/90s stuff is terrible but the current worship music isn't a whole lot better if you ask me.
          Some of the modern worship music isn't too bad. I do like it when bands will do a modern rendition of some of the more traditional hymns, though I do agree some of the more repetitive songs can get kind of tedious. Obviously, they are written to be a kind of chant, possibly meant for a meditation style of worship. I just don't know who it benefits more, the individual or God.
          Comment>

I have a number of Christian friends who listen to heavy metal including Christian metal bands. I also know some people who think that that sort of music is inherently against what Christianity stands for. What is your take on this sort of thing? Do you think there are particular styles of music or film that are inherently against Christianity?
            Actually Skillet is a Christian metal band and they are awesome. A couple of their fans were atheist and didn't realize that they were listen to Christian music because of how well written the music is. Until they were in the middl of a crowd at a concert and the truth hit them with drums and electric guitars, the lyrics were obvious references to Jesus. It doesn't happen to everybody but it happens to some. I personally like Rebirth and Hero. Not all of their songs are Christian, some are more personal but that doesn't mean listening to metal is the wrong way to find God. Not everyone is meant to stand at the podium and speak to people.
            Comment>

I for one love Creed. Their last album Full Circle turned towards Metal. Here's the Lyrics, and though they are not Christian, the lead singer and song writer is Christian:

• Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world,[a] but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

The cradle of civilisation sparks my fascination
              Truth ignites our generation to change what's been programmed
              Inside the mind
              Don't you turn a blind eye
              Change what's been programmed inside
              Listen to me when i tell you
              Feel the passion in my breath
              Stay on top if they let you
              Cause the change is permanent
              Change is permanent
              Rudiments ofinterpersonal communication
              Truth will uproot and bring war's devastation to light
              Change whats been programmed inside
              Staying silent is a crime

[CHORUS]
              Change starts in your mind
              Leave the past behind
              Forget everything you know
              Make a change...let go
              Change starts in your mind
              Leafe the past behind
              Forget everything you know
              Make a change...let go
              Let go...let go... let go
              [CHORUS]
              Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post

Actually Skillet is a Christian metal band and they are awesome. A couple of their fans were atheist and didn't realize that they were listen to Christian music because of how well written the music is. Until they were in the middl of a crowd at a concert and the truth hit them with drums and electric guitars, the lyrics were obvious references to Jesus. It doesn't happen to everybody but it happens to some. I personally like Rebirth and Hero. Not all of their songs are Christian, some are more personal but that doesn't mean listening to metal is the wrong way to find God. Not everyone is meant to stand at the podium and speak to people.
                Yeah I know Skillet. I used to listen to them for a while but got a bit bored. They're a respectable band though I'd be careful categorizing them as metal. Some people are pretty picky when it comes to genre definitions and from what I've heard of Skillet they fall slightly outside the metal bracket. But it doesn't really matter, genres are just vague descriptions really.
                Comment>

Yeah I know Skillet. I used to listen to them for a while but got a bit bored. They're a respectable band though I'd be careful categorizing them as metal. Some people are pretty picky when it comes to genre definitions and from what I've heard of Skillet they fall slightly outside the metal bracket. But it doesn't really matter, genres are just vague descriptions really.
                  Oh, I know that crowd that is very persnickety about who they caterogized as metal. I was listening to a reviewer talk about how Asking Alexandria (prior to Danny leaving), Black Veiled Brides, and a couple of others even though they were nominated by Golden Gods award for best song under the heavy metal section. So yeah, I'm aware that people get high and might about it but Skillet is probably the hardest Christian band I've heard off.
                  Comment>

I've seen heavy metal music slammed by a number of Baptist writers who say it is the devils music which shouldn't be in church. But if we must be honest isn't the content what matters more? If someone makes a song about drugs and how good they'll make you feel then that is "satanic music". However if someone's song is about faith or some other Christian theme why shouldn't Christians listen to that song?
                    Comment>

Originally posted by LeapOfFaith89 View Post

Oh, I know that crowd that is very persnickety about who they caterogized as metal. I was listening to a reviewer talk about how Asking Alexandria (prior to Danny leaving), Black Veiled Brides, and a couple of others even though they were nominated by Golden Gods award for best song under the heavy metal section. So yeah, I'm aware that people get high and might about it but Skillet is probably the hardest Christian band I've heard off.
                      Some of the Christian metal bands I know of are August Burns Red, Demon Hunter, Impending Doom and Norma Jean. I don't listen to most of these though but Demonhunter is definitely worth checking out if you're at all interested. Ironically for being a metal band, their softer songs are the ones I like the most.
                      Comment>

Originally posted by Smithee View Post
                        I've seen heavy metal music slammed by a number of Baptist writers who say it is the devils music which shouldn't be in church. But if we must be honest isn't the content what matters more? If someone makes a song about drugs and how good they'll make you feel then that is "satanic music". However if someone's song is about faith or some other Christian theme why shouldn't Christians listen to that song?
                        Exactly, I feel the lyrics and the themes behind music should be what categorizes something as 'Satanic' and not what the music sounds like or the appearance of the people who make the music.
                        Comment>

Appearances can be deceiving. Only God knows what's in the hearts of men and anyone who judges fails to obey Jesus who commanded us all not to judge. I listen to Michael W Smith's music even though there are Christians who call him a "wolf" [in sheep's clothing].
                          Comment>

There's a genre called Christian rock. I love a lot of its performers. It's mainly an acoustic type of songs. Sounds very soft and energetic at the same time. Also, there are a lot of heavier stuff which I appreciate, too. And, of course, the participation in a Church choir is a pretty good thing to do.
                            Comment>

My personal opinion is we should not be involved in singing music that glorify drugs, violence or promiscuity.
                              Comment>
                              Working...
                              X
                              Articles - News - SiteMap